PDA

View Full Version : Twins who wed each other is made-up story!

Julia
23-Jan-08, 15:41
There was a very interesting topic on Radio 2 this morning, apparently the twins who were separated at birth that married each other, not knowing they were indeed twins, is an out and out fib!

There is no record of the marriage annulment in any court and the whole scenario was simply theoretical, overheard, misunderstood and leaked to the papers.

An expert on adoption stated today that any twins put up for adoption in the last 40 years would never be separated for adoption and that this simply could not happen! Their birth certificates would have shown they had been adopted for a start.

It's a great outcome in one respect but it also reinforces the fact that you can't trust the media.

paris
23-Jan-08, 15:50
Hi Julia, having been adopted myself and helped many others to find their natural families i can confirm that twins ARE sometimes separated at birth, admittedly not very often but it has happened. jan x

dandod
23-Jan-08, 17:22
unfortunatly it is the truth.read this article in the indepentant. the debate was brought up in the house of lords regarding this case and adoption. i am sure the twins affected wish it was not true. please see link.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/twins-marriage-sparks-debate-over-rights-of-adoptees-770001.html?r=RSS

JAWS
23-Jan-08, 21:42
That does not show that it is true. All it shows that a Peer used it give far greater weight to his personal views over a piece of legislation under discussion in Parliament.

The Peer, Lord Alton of Liverpool, formerly the MP David Alton, claims he was informed about the un-named twins by an un-named Judge who was allegedly involved in an unknown case at some unknown previous date in an unknown place. That being the case there is no way for the claim to be check for it’s accuracy.
All that proves is that a Politician may, or may not, go as far as to claim anything which might convince people to agree with him!

Anybody wish to claim that politicians would never do such a thing, especially when they can hide behind the conveniently claim that they cannot disclose their source to protect the people involved. I must admit, I do rather admire the technique, if you can get away with it that is.

Fran
24-Jan-08, 01:40
When adopted people get married they have to obtain a certicate from the adoption society, without which they cannot marry. this protects siblings from marrying each other.

Donnie
24-Jan-08, 10:03
When adopted people get married they have to obtain a certicate from the adoption society, without which they cannot marry. this protects siblings from marrying each other.

Firstly, for ever single rule like that there are always cases were it has been broken. Just because there's rules in place to stop something from happening isn't 100% that it's not going to! These things have a habit of falling apart.

And secondly that would only apply to weddings in the UK. What about weddings abroad, a Las Vegas shotgun wedding for instance.

I'm not saying the story in question was true or not, im just commenting in general.