PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera

wickchick
13-Oct-05, 19:26
Hi, I am going to be buying a digital camera and needing some help on choosing one.

Any ideas?

Thanks

EDDIE
13-Oct-05, 23:53
Well everything depends on how much you want to spend really and what your going to be using it for.Now a days you can get get a good camera for less than £200.
Theres 2 types of style of cameras
1.small campact camera that are normally times 3 optical and size of pixels variays on price of camera (the more pixels the better).This type of camera is ideal for puting in your handbag or jacket pocket good for holidays and going out partys the advantage is its easy to carry on you and you wont feel its a burden to carry.
2.you can buy a bulky type of digital camera which normaly have times 10 optical lense which is very good and the pixels go from 4 million and above depending on price of camera which is more for the type of person that likes close up photos of animals and so on. the advantage with that its good for close up photos at a distance but the disadvantage with it its bulky and and you cant really get it in your pocket or handbag carry it about would feel like a burden to you
Both types of cameras you get for less than £200

For me i have a nikon camera never had no problems with it .Im going to be buying another digital camera because you find once you buy it 6months later you see digital camera for the same price you bought with a better specification thats technolgy for you.But this time im going to get a kodak i think its better than nikon and kodak has been into making camera for decades so i think its a safe bet.
The cons with buying any digital camera is they dont sell you a camera bag with it or sometimes charger and the memory card u get with it is low like 64mb which is nothing and you find the prices they charge for u to buy bigger memory card is dear you can buy them a lot lot cheaper on the internet.
The other thing people dont release is when you take phots during the day time when its light it comes out perfect but at nightime if you take a photo it comes out a mess.When you take photos at night were there is lights in the shot you really have to know how to use all the settings on the camera and it takes a bit of practising to master it.To take a photo at night time with lights in the photo is not an easy to task to get a perfect photo thats the downside of a camera.

EDDIE
14-Oct-05, 00:09
The other thing i would like to point out as well is that when you charge your battery up the digital camera using a lot of power up and the battery goes flat quickly if you like taking a lot of pictures.I have a nikon camera and like most cameras its a special battery were u only have one off when u buy the camera and to buy a spare battery is dear and also in two or three years down the road you might need a battery replace and it might be discontinued buy then thats why i was thinking about buying a kodak because some of the kodak camera takes the normal AA batteries which you can buy a charger and rechargebatteries anywere at cheap prices and the beaty with that is if you are somewere taking photos and the battery goes flat you can keep a couple of spare batteries on you because there so small.
What a lot of people dont relise is if you have a special type of camera battery and you dont use the camera for a while you can can damage the battery if you dont regular charge the battery and is expensive to replace were the AA batterys is cheap to replace thats the advantage with a camera that takes AA batterys

Jeid
14-Oct-05, 00:12
http://www.steves-digicams.com/ is a good sight for reviews on digital cameras

jay
14-Oct-05, 08:47
as Eddie says - it depends how much you want to spend, I would recommend fuji or cannon, I've had both and been well pleased - especially with the cannon. I disagree with Eddie re batteries - the last thing you want is one that takes ordinary AA batteries - you will never be done changing them and the rechargables start to lose their charge after a while - go for one with its own built in rechargable battery, far superior. For good deals in cameras, batteries and memory chards look at www.7dayshop.com - their prices are hard to beat. You could also try buying a magazine ie "what camera" or similar which will tell you all you need to know

Tristan
14-Oct-05, 10:32
One of the shops in Thurso has a good deal on a 4 mega pixel Hp camera....cant find a better price any where else

Naefearjustbeer
14-Oct-05, 10:42
I have camera that uses AA batteries and a small one that uses its own type of battery, The advantage of the AA batteries is that if they go flat you can buy new batteries almost anywhere for emergency use. The new AA NiMH rechargeable batteries are very good and have much better capacity than the older NiCads.
The small camera I have with its own type of battery has very good life out of its own battery and i have a spare for it which I keep fully charged, The downside is if I am away and both batteries are flat I have to Charge the batteries in the camera so the camera is out of use for a few hours. With AA batteries every cornershop and petrol station will sell them and you can carry on taking pictures, I have had olympus fuji and casio digital cameras and have been happy with all of them. I did look at a Kodak camera but it felt flimsy and very plasticy so that put me off. The casio is the easyest to use and the most robust. Fuji takes the best daytime pictures and the olypus is a good all round camera. Try www.7dayshop.com or www.ebuyer.com or www.pixmania.com sometimes manuals that come from pixmania are in french but normally you can download english manuals from manufacturors websites. www.kelkoo.co.uk is a good site for comparing prices as comet and the like very rarely well priced even during sales.

Naefearjustbeer
14-Oct-05, 10:50
Oh yeh and check out what size of memory card come with it as they are usually small and you will want to get extra memory I got 512Mb SD cards from 7day shop for about £18 each these will take about 250 pictures on my 3 mega pixel casio camera on one full charged battery. So 2 batteries and 2 memory cards should be more than enough for a holiday

lassieinfife
14-Oct-05, 11:38
found this site to be one of best around.......... bought camera memory cards etc

www.digitaldepot.co.uk

lassieinfife
14-Oct-05, 11:40
:lol: ops forgot to say they also do refurbished camers at good prices

Rheghead
14-Oct-05, 12:08
I have camera that uses AA batteries and a small one that uses its own type of battery, The advantage of the AA batteries is that if they go flat you can buy new batteries almost anywhere for emergency use. The new AA NiMH rechargeable batteries are very good and have much better capacity than the older NiCads.
The small camera I have with its own type of battery has very good life out of its own battery and i have a spare for it which I keep fully charged, The downside is if I am away and both batteries are flat I have to Charge the batteries in the camera so the camera is out of use for a few hours. With AA batteries every cornershop and petrol station will sell them and you can carry on taking pictures,

I agree about having a camera that takes AA batteries. You can also use rechargeable AA batteries when you go out and have a set of normal AAs in your pocket just in case.

jay
14-Oct-05, 13:34
my fuji camera would take approximately 20 photos at a decent resolution with a set of ordinary AA (duracell) batteries, the new nicam rechargables - maybe 35-40. my new camera with its own battery (ion lithium?? or something) takes 150+ at extremely good resolution (8 mega pixel camera) camera also came with a seperate charger so it does not tie the camera up

Naefearjustbeer
14-Oct-05, 14:02
my fuji camera would take approximately 20 photos at a decent resolution with a set of ordinary AA (duracell) batteries, the new nicam rechargables - maybe 35-40. my new camera with its own battery (ion lithium?? or something) takes 150+ at extremely good resolution (8 mega pixel camera) camera also came with a seperate charger so it does not tie the camera up

what kind of camera is it? my fuji will take about 100 pictures using duracells

jay
14-Oct-05, 16:07
fuji finepix - I think 3.4 mega pixels - eally bad for batteries but good pixs and easy to use. Know a few people who have various models of fuji and the ones with AA batteries all seem to be much the same - the ones with their own batteries are far superior in the long run

wickchick
14-Oct-05, 16:49
Hi, Thanks for all the advice! Its been really helpfull. I will be going to inverness and will bear these in mind.

Thanks Again

Ashleigh

EDDIE
14-Oct-05, 18:00
As far as batterys go in how long the life of a rechargeable battery lasts depends on the user because your supposed to let the battery go flat before recharging if you recharge a battery when is half charged you doing the battery harm and reduceing the lifetime of the battery as the same as if you let the battery go flat and you dont charge it for months later you reduce the lifetime of the battery as well thats why for me the rechargeable AA batteries are good because there cheap and everyone sells them as to special battery that u have to order up from a dealer and also these batterys are about £40.I have nikon and its a special battery and i regret buying it now its things when u go abroad and your in a country were the voltage is different u have problem if AA rechargeable you can work it how many batterys you need to take with you.And also these special batterys have special chargers and if they break its expensive to buy these are all the things that are hidden costs in buying a camera were the makers gain in profit because you can only get it off them so they have control price.
But like most things in life you only learn the advantages and disadvantages after you you have bought your first digital camera

EDDIE
14-Oct-05, 18:06
And as far is printing photos out i have a modern printer for that and i find it cheaper to go to asda and get prints for 7pence a picture depending on size and the photos are better quality than my printer. printing photos goes through a lot of ink.But generally i store all my photos on disk thats the brilliant thing about digital cameras you can take loads of photos and store it on disk cost next to nothing

Geo
17-Oct-05, 15:24
Get one with an optical zoom. Digital "zooms" are poor.