PDA

View Full Version : sitting an exam.

cuddlepop
22-Jan-08, 14:37
A friend of mines son has been told he will not be allowed to sit his int 2 exam.The boy in question got a 3 in this subject for his standard grade and up until Monday was quiet happily taking part in the class.
This boy requires a reader and a scribe and in his teachers opinion the exam result wouldn't be his own work.
So this implys his previous work wasn't his own and someone cheated?:confused

Now whose right can the school say no your not sitting the exam or is it up to
the SQA?

Andrew C
22-Jan-08, 14:52
I would have thought that in this circumstance that there would have been an alternative form of assessment. It all part of equal opportunities etc for this. Its worth pursuing with the school, the SQA and the local education department.

Karen
22-Jan-08, 14:54
My son is dyslexic and has a reader and a scribe for some of his exams. He feels bad enough that someone has to write for him as he can't spell and it takes him so much longer, he would much prefer to be able to do it himself. The scribe only writes what he tells her to so it is his work, she is only doing the mechanics of writing for him as that is difficult for him. I dread to think how this poor boy must feel now.

ciderally
22-Jan-08, 15:27
i bet i know what school it is ...i had to fight for years to get my son tested for dyslexica...he was just classed as dissruptive finaly last year at this primary school in wick he was tested with a big margin on the tests..and was told .....quote headmaster well the high school can sort it out now....
i do feel for the lad because it must put a big dent in his confidance..but can she appeal? maybe if she shouts loud enough..wish i had now looking back...

cuddlepop
22-Jan-08, 16:18
This boy has a recognised condition and the relevent paper work to confirm this.What I cant understand is the change in attitude.
Why was it acceptable last year when he was sitting standard grades and not now in 5th year.
My daughter's screaming discrimination at anyone who'll listen at school and she's basically being told to shut up and mind her own business.In her eyes it is her business because it affects a friend who wont say boo to a goose.

This is not my fight but I know unless you threaten all sorts they'll be allowed to discriminate.:mad:

Mr_Me19
22-Jan-08, 17:56
Now whose right can the school say no your not sitting the exam or is it up to the SQA?

It is the school's choice on this matter I believe. Unfair I know, but thats how it works.

cuddlepop
22-Jan-08, 18:07
It is the school's choice on this matter I believe. Unfair I know, but thats how it works.
That's what I was afraid of.
Surely you could argue then that they are discriminating on the grounds of this boys disability if they did not present him.?

laguna2
22-Jan-08, 19:17
I was under the impression that the SQA have guidelines for cases like this - and indeed extra time can be allocated in certain circumstance.

I would suggest that you contact SQA direct and see what they say.

Good luck!

karia
22-Jan-08, 19:21
I used to work for the SQA as an invigilator and as a scribe and I am certain that they could throw some light on this matter.

Pouleriscaig
22-Jan-08, 19:48
I can't say for certain, but you may want to consider a legal consultation with a solicitor who provides legal aid.

I suspect there must be something about this breaching legislation such as the Disability Discrimination Act 1995.
It may be an organisation like Capability Scotland might even be willing to intervene and seek a test case or something.

Just an idea.

Pouleriscaig
22-Jan-08, 20:03
As I say I am not a lawyer, but if you click on this link you will see Section 31AA (1) and sub-section (6) of the Disability Discrimination Act 2005, refers to awarding bodies which include Local Education Authority's in Scotland.

Not trying to raise your hopes, but I do suggest that visit to a lawyer who if there are grounds, may even write a letter on the basis that this decision may be unlawful.

www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2005/ukpga_20050013_en_4#pb3-l1g15 (http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2005/ukpga_20050013_en_4#pb3-l1g15)

Mr_Me19
22-Jan-08, 20:12
That's what I was afraid of.
Surely you could argue then that they are discriminating on the grounds of this boys disability if they did not present him.?

Definately!!! Get up there as soon as you can and make sure your voice is heard!

cuddlepop
22-Jan-08, 20:51
As I say I am not a lawyer, but if you click on this link you will see Section 31AA (1) and sub-section (6) of the Disability Discrimination Act 2005, refers to awarding bodies which include Local Education Authority's in Scotland.

Not trying to raise your hopes, but I do suggest that visit to a lawyer who if there are grounds, may even write a letter on the basis that this decision may be unlawful.

www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2005/ukpga_20050013_en_4#pb3-l1g15 (http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2005/ukpga_20050013_en_4#pb3-l1g15)

as we're not the parents concerned we've got to try and advice and support another parent on this matter and unfortunatly sometimes the parent is so sick of fighting the system they just want to roll over and play dead.
We have another parent in our group that's so sick of this particular schools attitude there leaving the area.
That is a travisty:~(
Thanks for the link.

gollach
22-Jan-08, 21:33
If it is the May Int2 exam then I suggest you check that the pupil concerned has passed their unit1 (and possibly unit2 also at this time of the year) NABs.

If the NABS were failures and they have used up their resit opportunities (I think they only get 2 attempts at most NABs) then it is not possible to get the full Int2 award and this may be why the school has acted in this way.

I know this doesn't help but it may be one of the reasons behind these goings on.

cuddlepop
22-Jan-08, 21:46
If it is the May Int2 exam then I suggest you check that the pupil concerned has passed their unit1 (and possibly unit2 also at this time of the year) NABs.

If the NABS were failures and they have used up their resit opportunities (I think they only get 2 attempts at most NABs) then it is not possible to get the full Int2 award and this may be why the school has acted in this way.

I know this doesn't help but it may be one of the reasons behind these goings on.
Thanks for that information will make further enquiries.
It would appear that the head of learning support was suppose to inform said pupil in August that he would not get to sit his theory paper but could sit his pratical exam.
Unfortunatly this wasn't convayed to the pupil until Monday.:confused

helenwyler
23-Jan-08, 11:11
Hi cuddlepop!

I think that gollach may well be right in thinking the boy might have used up his resit opportunities.

Having done a few applications for access arrangements in England, it is highly unlikely that if the teacher found enough valid 'evidence of need' to warrant a scribe and reader in last year's exams, he should be denied them this year, even though they would have to be reapplied for.

The teacher (if qualified to carry out such assessments) would have needed to find evidence between his exam (May?) and August of such astounding improvement that the child had moved into the average range.

Mind you, I came across a teacher a few years ago who conducted a spelling test on a child, taught the child the incorrect spellings, then re-administered the same test and said, 'He's fine now!':confused

Good Luck to your friend!

paris
23-Jan-08, 11:22
Could he not sit the exam at the education offices rather than the school,? everyone is entitled to sit exams surely. jan x

laurad
23-Jan-08, 11:48
hey there im dyslexic aswell and i find it hard in class when im doing assessments i get a reader and scribe aswell.i have to go down to learning support at the college and i get lots of help from the staff there!!!

cuddlepop
23-Jan-08, 12:43
Could he not sit the exam at the education offices rather than the school,? everyone is entitled to sit exams surely. jan x
I personally think this is direct discrimination against this child in a particular subject as all his other class teachers will be presenting him.

Educational physiology now on the case.:)

paris
23-Jan-08, 15:54
Glad somethings been sorted for him. jan x

cuddlepop
30-Jan-08, 18:34
We had hoped this would be sorted but it now appears that the child mentioned was not allowed to sit the prelium for this exam this week.The school have arranged a meeting for next week,which is far to far away.:(

What I want to know is can you get HMIe to investigate this decission bearing in mind the school recieved a poor report in Aug 2006 and follow through reports 2007 showed some improvement.
HMie are not coming back till2008.:mad:

gollach
30-Jan-08, 19:47
You can try the HMIe but what about the Director of Education, Culture & Sport in Inverness? His name is Hugh Fraser, I think.

You could also raise this with a councillor and MSP.

I am not sure but I suspect it is possible to sit the Int2 exam in May even if the prelim is not sat. Make sure that the SQA coordinator at the school in question does not withdraw the pupil as a candiate for the May exam.

It is perhaps possible to contact SQA direct but not sure where to start? Their website at www.sqa.org.uk might be able to help.

cuddlepop
30-Jan-08, 20:31
You can try the HMIe but what about the Director of Education, Culture & Sport in Inverness? His name is Hugh Fraser, I think.

You could also raise this with a councillor and MSP.

I am not sure but I suspect it is possible to sit the Int2 exam in May even if the prelim is not sat. Make sure that the SQA coordinator at the school in question does not withdraw the pupil as a candiate for the May exam.

It is perhaps possible to contact SQA direct but not sure where to start? Their website at www.sqa.org.uk (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.sqa.org.uk) might be able to help.
Thanks gollach.
Suffice to say with this long term carry on with the school we're no strangers to the Director.:(

gollach
30-Jan-08, 23:27
Thanks gollach.
Suffice to say with this long term carry on with the school we're no strangers to the Director.:(

If that's the case, perhaps it is time for a letter from a solicitor.

cuddlepop
31-Jan-08, 09:51
If that's the case, perhaps it is time for a letter from a solicitor.
We've all talked about it for the past three years and Govan Law Centre is keen for us to approach a brief.
Its the same old story,people who are emotionally and physically knackered just dont have the strenght.:~(

This time may be different and when the other parent moves .....keep an eye on the Herald newspaper.;)