PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Tourist Friendly countries

Margaret M.
20-Jan-08, 21:34
Well done, Scotland!

Number 10 Germany
Number 9 Netherlands
Number 8 -- Scotland
For the 16 million people who travel to Scotland every year, they have the pleasure of meeting a nation of well-educated locals who are rich with culture and know how to have fun. The chance to play golf at St. Andrews or some cricket in Edinburgh is also an opportunity to enjoy the company of the friendly people who live there. The festive Scottish spirit is also apparent in the regular arts and musical events, like the annual Highland Festival. Though Scotland is ripe with culture and most of the locals welcome visitors, the ones who don't can lessen the experience.
Number 7 Fiji
Number 6 Italy
Number 5 Switzerland
Number 4 Australia
Number 3 Canada
Number 2 New Zealand
Number 1 Ireland

golach
20-Jan-08, 21:41
As a tour guide in Edinburgh, I am interested in this Highland Festival you mention? I have never heard of it, Edinburgh is not a highland city, it is the Capital of Scotland but is situated in the Lowlands. Or have I misunderstood you?

Margaret M.
20-Jan-08, 21:49
The article was just published on a Travel website. I think they have confused the Edinburgh Festival with Highland Games.

orkneylass
20-Jan-08, 23:16
Ireland being top is interesting - culturally and from the friendliness point of view Dublin is the most disappointing city I have ever visited

Anne x
21-Jan-08, 00:48
dont know about top ten in Europe in all this is my top ten in world so far

1) Canada and its provinces Vancouver however stood out
2)Inverness capital of the Highlands and all surrounding counties beauty is outstanding and cannot be matched especially the far north !!!
3) Italy (Venice, Tuscany , Capri etc etc)
4)Edinburgh our national Capital
5)Border country between Scot and England and added extra the Lake District
6) Alaska was lucky enough to go on a 1 week cruise
7)River Nile cruise again 1 week
8)Netherlands
9) Dom Rep the people were so lovely and friendly
10)Prague the tour guide we had 80yrs old !!! female sold it to us

elamanya
21-Jan-08, 10:09
got to agree, Vancouver takes some beating tretaed like royalty when they find out your scottish..

orkneylass
21-Jan-08, 18:49
Would love to go to Vancouver and have traced an old friend to near there, so it's on the list. I have throroughly enjoyed Helsinki and Barcelona but am not well-travlled enough to suggest a top 10! Going to Budapest this year

percy toboggan
21-Jan-08, 18:55
Have to say, as an ardent traveller to Scotland, the people one comes across lately - in service industry roles have been predominantly eastern European. Poles. They are friendly and do a good job, but I can't help thinking there is many a Scot lounging idly on the 'brew' who could be doing the jobs these willing folk are so desperate to do.

As for Ireland being number one.....I found in 1993 anyway, the famous emerald isle welcome was slightly less effusive for English folk. Maybe things have changed.
Gosh! doesn't time fly....fifteen years.

Boozeburglar
21-Jan-08, 20:11
I would rather see a link to the original article in the post so we can all take a look at how they researched this.

northener
21-Jan-08, 20:27
I wouldn't put too much credibility in 'top ten' polls or league tables.

Take Canada for example, I have spent a fair bit of time in Halifax, Nova Scotia and love the place and the people. Go to Montreal and Quebec - totally different - as soon as you open your mouth you can actually see a lot of them becoming stand-offish.

Another example - Percy mentioned about the prevailing 'attitude' to the English when he was there in 93. We were on the west coast (Co Clare) in 95 and had a fantastic time with no 'attitude' at all. Would we have had the same experience as Percy wherever he was? Who knows?

So I suppose it depends on the personal experiences/attitudes at the time of the visit and may not necessarily be a true reflection of the people and place being visited.