PDA

View Full Version : healthy eating for kids using art..

justine
20-Jan-08, 16:31
Came across these pics.They are aimed at getting the message of healthy eating to kids by creating art...Take a look, its quite amazing...

http://news.sky.com/skynews/picture_gallery/picture_gallery/0,,30100-1300570-1,00.html

orkneylass
20-Jan-08, 17:31
Great stuff indeed, but what the healthy eating campaigns get wrong is aiming so much at the children, rather than at their parents - the people who buy and prepare the food, the people who teach them what is normal and acceptable, the people able to form their habits for life from an early age. If sprouts, broccolli etc are rarely on the menu, or introduced to the child like it's an ordeal, with a big fuss made, then no amount of campaigns in schools etc will make any difference. Lots of parents have next to no cooking skills these days, let alone the ability to prepare healthy, fresh food on a budget. It's tinkering around the edges of the problem to try to get children to call the shots.

miranda
20-Jan-08, 18:23
mmm arty food what a shame too eat it . presentation like such is not high on my kids good food guide lol:)

Sapphire2803
20-Jan-08, 20:58
Does this count?? :lol:

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/7007/pic0039je1.jpg

justine
20-Jan-08, 21:09
Yep that counts.

orkenylass you are right there. They always seem to aim it at the kids and not the parents..However it is the failings of the parents to educate their own children and decide to leave it to others.The children can have many hours fun creating ideas like this and hopefully as they grow they will realise by their own initiative, what is good to eat..And they get to enjoy the art aswell...Some parents need to change their own eating habits before they can help their kids...so with art like this they can see what is good and put it to mum and dad instead of accepting all the bad food all the time...

cuddlepop
20-Jan-08, 21:25
i have worked in a school canteen and believe me it doesn't matter how arty you make your presentation from p6 up its yuck.:eek:
It seems to be a macho thing,a bit like smoking that makes it cool to eat crap.:confused