PDA

View Full Version : Baillie Wind Farm; oh dear

bekisman
20-Jan-08, 15:14
Bit surprised that no-one on here has mentioned or are maybe not aware of the news that the controversial wind-farm at Baillie - near Shebster (21 wind turbines, 375 feet to their blade tips) has been rejected.
Highland Council's Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross planning applications and review committee decided unanimously against the plans.. Oh goody!

For the full story have a look at this link

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/3829/Baillie_decision_hailed_as_a_victory_for_democracy .html (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/3829/Baillie_decision_hailed_as_a_victory_for_democracy .html)

percy toboggan
20-Jan-08, 16:27
These things seem to polarise opinion, as ever.
I do not like wind-factory's...although farms of one or two turbines are okay in moderation.

I think the decision to expand nuclear generation is the correct one, and would be happy to live near a nuclear power station. As they are unlikely to build one to the east of Manchester thta's never going to hapen. Perhaps I should move.

anneoctober
20-Jan-08, 22:06
Bit surprised that no-one on here has mentioned or are maybe not aware of the news that the controversial wind-farm at Baillie - near Shebster (21 wind turbines, 375 feet to their blade tips) has been rejected.
Highland Council's Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross planning applications and review committee decided unanimously against the plans.. Oh goody!

For the full story have a look at this link

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/3829/Baillie_decision_hailed_as_a_victory_for_democracy .html (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/3829/Baillie_decision_hailed_as_a_victory_for_democracy .html)
bekisman, I think nothing has been said here on the forum as the Shebster community are all too aware that this was round 1. I'm sure Messrs Pottinger & Co are already planning their appeal /tactics :(

olivia
20-Jan-08, 23:17
bekisman, I think nothing has been said here on the forum as the Shebster community are all too aware that this was round 1. I'm sure Messrs Pottinger & Co are already planning their appeal /tactics :(
I'm sure you are absolutely right anneoctober, but enjoy the your first victory while you can!!

lynne duncan
20-Jan-08, 23:28
wouldn't mind a new nuclear power plant, don't see why they wouldn't consider one here again

Green_not_greed
21-Jan-08, 11:08
the Shebster community are all too aware that this was round 1. :(

As far as I am aware this is indeed the case. I've seen "most likely" written regarding a public inquiry, so it's not completely guaranteed. What I don't know is what the decision maker for a public inquiry actually is........

Rheghead
21-Jan-08, 13:39
Whatever the decision of the pro-renewable energy Scottish Governments decision, it will be democracy at work.

dandod
21-Jan-08, 13:49
I do not like wind-factory's...although farms of one or two turbines are okay in moderation.

I think the decision to expand nuclear generation is the correct one, and would be happy to live near a nuclear power station. As they are unlikely to build one to the east of Manchester thta's never going to hapen. Perhaps I should move.

more nuclear power stations!!!thats whats wrong with the planet.

TBH
21-Jan-08, 14:00
Have they found a way to dispose of weapons grade plutonium and the costs that guarding the stuff entails?

Green_not_greed
21-Jan-08, 15:44
Have they found a way to dispose of weapons grade plutonium and the costs that guarding the stuff entails?

Yes - in the US they blend it to produce a mixed oxide fuel for use in commercial reactors.

olivia
21-Jan-08, 15:55
As far as I am aware this is indeed the case. I've seen "most likely" written regarding a public inquiry, so it's not completely guaranteed. What I don't know is what the decision maker for a public inquiry actually is........
I thought that if the decision went against the developer's (as it did at the Baillie hearing) it triggered an automatic public local inquiry - but I might be wrong.

Green_not_greed
22-Jan-08, 14:23
Whatever the decision of the pro-renewable energy Scottish Governments decision, it will be democracy at work.

Actually, it won't.

Democracy has already taken place - the vote by the Council Planning Committee is the only sniff that Baillie will get of democracy.

If it now goes to public enquiry, it will be decided by a reporter from the Independent Reporters Unit. This reporter will make an UNBIASED DECISION based on the facts of the case, and should not be influenced by politics of the Scottish Government.

Incidently, this should also be the route for Trump's golf course.....

Green_not_greed
22-Jan-08, 14:27
I thought that if the decision went against the developer's (as it did at the Baillie hearing) it triggered an automatic public local inquiry - but I might be wrong.

As I understand it, the scheme may not go to PI in certain circumstances - e.g. if the developer withdraws in the final realisation that the vast majority of residents are opposed to it. There may be others. Its probably unlikely.

Highland Laddie
22-Jan-08, 14:35

Maybe we should call 3 or more turbines windfarms
and 2 or less could be called windcrofts

Green_not_greed
22-Jan-08, 16:22
Maybe we should call 3 or more turbines windfarms
and 2 or less could be called windcrofts

Call them what they are - wind power stations!

Calling them farms is yet another example of spin.......

Tho' I should say that I quite liked the "crofts" idea!

Rheghead
22-Jan-08, 17:52
Actually, it won't.

Democracy has already taken place - the vote by the Council Planning Committee is the only sniff that Baillie will get of democracy.

If it now goes to public enquiry, it will be decided by a reporter from the Independent Reporters Unit. This reporter will make an UNBIASED DECISION based on the facts of the case, and should not be influenced by politics of the Scottish Government.

The councillors are wary about giving decisions against local opinion, the asda debacle is a classic advantage when councillors were voted out or never stood again because of their unpopularity.

Not to mention that some councillors came with prepared speaches which means that whatever happened at the meeting, they weren't prepared to change their viewpoint. Since 1 out of 5 of the local residences voted for the proposal, it seems disproportionate that all the councillors voted unanimously against. That smacks of voter/lobbying intimidation to me.

Cinderella's Shoe
22-Jan-08, 19:08
Rheghead

Is it your time of the month, love? You seem a bit on edge.

Green_not_greed
22-Jan-08, 19:23
Not to mention that some councillors came with prepared speaches which means that whatever happened at the meeting, they weren't prepared to change their viewpoint.

I was there and there were no pre-prepared speeches. There was a lot of scribbling going on prior to the councillors debate and one councillor who was scribbling furiously got up still waving his pen about.

Were you there? I don't think so. As usual you are spreading malicious stories based on nothing more than the fact that your viewpoint was blown away by people who care for this county.

Since 1 out of 5 of the local residences voted for the proposal, it seems disproportionate that all the councillors voted unanimously against. That smacks of voter/lobbying intimidation to me. Or simply against what you believe in????

For once just simply accept the fact that you are by far in the minority.

Rheghead
22-Jan-08, 22:06
Were you there? I don't think so.

Wrong again, I was there.:lol: If I knew I could of spoken then I would have come prepared with all my calculations that proved that ywindy's photomontages are done to falsely emphasise the height of the turbines, and since the photomontage was next to a object online link, I would have said that a proportion of the objections would have been influenced by misleading information. Next time perhaps, or maybe at the public inquiry!:evil

Green_not_greed
22-Jan-08, 22:44
If I knew I could of spoken then I would have come prepared with all my calculations that proved that ywindy's photomontages are done to falsely emphasise the height of the turbines, and since the photomontage was next to a object online link, I would have said that a proportion of the objections would have been influenced by misleading information.

Still flogging that dead horse, huh? I'm sure ywindy will address this (again) as he has before against such empty statements. You withdrew comments after the last round, if I recall.

So what about misleading the poor people outside Tescos in Inverness who were pressurised into signing a "support" petition for Baillie? Half of them didn't even know where the development was, for goodness sake! And none of them would have had to live beside it. Talk about misleading.

When you invited the Baillie Developer round to your house, you lost all credibility as an independent voice far as I'm concerned. That was the start of your attempt to undermine CWIF on this forum. Co-incidence or paid help?

Rheghead
22-Jan-08, 22:56
You withdrew comments after the last round, if I recall.

Err remind me plz.

So what about misleading the poor people outside Tescos in Inverness who were pressurised into signing a "support" petition for Baillie? Half of them didn't even know where the development was, for goodness sake! And none of them would have had to live beside it. Talk about misleading.

No, their views are as much valid as ours who live in Caithness. The Baillie windfarm is rated above 50MW so is deemed sufficiently large enough to be in the public interest.

When you invited the Baillie Developer round to your house, you lost all credibility as an independent voice far as I'm concerned. That was the start of your attempt to undermine CWIF on this forum. Co-incidence or paid help?

Tom Pottinger wanted to speak to me personally about my findings that proved to discredit ywindy's photomontage. There was no express invite to my house on my part, I just afforded an audience with him out of courtesy. I only told ywindy of this so obviously you are in cahoots with him. And no, I am not in Tom Pottinger's pocket. What financial reasons would he have for paying me? I am not a person of public influence, I'm just a pleb on the org like everyone else![lol] If you wanted an audience with me on the same subject then I would afford you the same token, it doesn't mean you'd be paying me , no? So please retract that allegation.

Tilter
23-Jan-08, 00:08
Bairns, would you all just look at yourselves and your posts on this and other windfarm threads.

The anti-windies have got one thing right - windfarms are tearing communities apart with aggro and acrimony - on the ground and even on the Org. No one seems to take this fact (admittedly intangible) into account in the debate. Not that "debate" is the right word.

Green_not_greed
23-Jan-08, 09:13
Wrong again, I was there.

Just when did you arrive and leave then?

ywindythesecond
23-Jan-08, 09:16
Just when did you arrive and leave then?

GnG, Reggy was there, he even smiled at me.
ywy2

freepress
26-Jan-08, 03:39
Green_not_greed (http://forum.caithness.org/member.php?u=1265) I hope you dont mind but you massive green logo
is taking up an unreasonably large part on my screen.

Small is Beautiful -- E. F. Schumacher

Torvaig
26-Jan-08, 11:58
Green_not_greed (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/member.php?u=1265) I hope you dont mind but you massive green logo
is taking up an unreasonably large part on my screen.

Small is Beautiful -- E. F. Schumacher

To omit signatures from the threads you are reading select "User CP", "Settings & Options", "Edit options", scroll down to "Thread Diplay Options" then deselect "Show signatures" and finally, select "Save changes".

Tilter
26-Jan-08, 20:43

Perhaps that's what's happening here: http://www.mwtlewis.org.uk/ where Scottish ministers have a mind to turn down 181 turbines on Lewis.