PDA

View Full Version : Setback for Charly

Liz
20-Jan-08, 13:17
Charly had been doing well after being diagnosed with a heart murmur.

However, he became poorly on Thursday afternoon with sickness and diarrohea.
I called and spoke to the Vet who said it sounded liked a tummy upset and to not feed him for 24 hours (he didn't feel like eating anway)and see how he was.
He did seem to be a bit better then and ate a tiny amount but then had bad diarrohea.
Since then he's been seeming to get a bit better and then not so good again.:(
If he's not better by tomorrow we will take him to the Vets.
I am really worried in case it is something more than just a tummy upset as thought he would have been a lot better by now if it was.

So would appreciate more healing light and prayers please.

unicorn
20-Jan-08, 13:25
This must be terribly worrying for you liz and very draining for poor charly, I hope he will be fine and bounce back to himself in no time oxoxo

cuddlepop
20-Jan-08, 13:35
Healing light now on extra power and beaming its way over to you as I type.

Its probably a bug Charly has picked up and being a bit poorly it just makes it worse.
Try to not worrie to much (as much to me as you);)

carasmam
20-Jan-08, 13:59
Hopefully it's nothing serious, just a wee bug that got him when he's down. Healing light as always to you and Charly :)

nanoo
20-Jan-08, 14:40
Oh Liz. i'm so sorry to hear this today. I agree with cuddlepop and carasmam that it is probably a bug he picked up. I want you to keep your chin up and think positive now Liz, all the healing light and love we can muster up surrounds Charly just now, and will stay there as long as it is needed. Try not to worry too much(i know this is'nt easy)but try. give Charly a big hug and a kiss from me. God Bless.;)

Liz
20-Jan-08, 16:07
Thanks ever so much as always everyone!

I knew you would all rally round!:D Charly ate a tiny bit of chicken just now so hopefully he will keep it down and get a bit of strength back.

Will keep you posted. xxx

Liz
20-Jan-08, 16:28
I just massaged Charly with a Vibrating Pet Massager I got from Pets At Home and he loved it!:lol:
He is singing away now!

Thumper
20-Jan-08, 17:27
Keep it up Liz...if he likes it its bound to "up his spirits" I so hope he has turned the corner and is on his way back to full health x

Phoenix200416
20-Jan-08, 18:34
Poor Charly! Hope he's feeling better soon. I have to agree with everyone else's comments. I think I might by a vibrating massager for myself. :D

Liz
20-Jan-08, 19:52
The massage seems to be helping as he is more relaxed and hasn't been sick or had diarrohea since this morning.(wouldnt' mind one myself either Phoenix!)
Really hoping he is over the worst and just needs to get his strength back now.
I think it has hit him really hard coming so soon after being ill before poor soul.

I have been giving him Colloidal Silver (a natural anti-biotic) and think this has helped a lot.
I would really recommend it to pet owners as it is great for any kind of infection and for skin probs, cuts etc.
I always make sure I have a bottle in the house.
Use it myself as well when I remember!:roll: Taken at the first sign of a cold, sore throat or flu etc can really help.

It is so good to be able to come on here and share my worries with people who I know genuinely care.

So thanks. Again!!!:lol:

Liz
20-Jan-08, 19:55
Spoke to soon! He's just been sick again and had diarrohea!:(

Will definitely be taking him to the Vets tomorrow.

Och I just feel so fed up!!!!

cuddlepop
20-Jan-08, 20:06
Spoke to soon! He's just been sick again and had diarrohea!:(

Will definitely be taking him to the Vets tomorrow.

Och I just feel so fed up!!!!
Maybe your Charly has got a version of the human tummy bug thats going round.Just when your feeling better and eat something ,wham back to the beginning.
Vet sounds a good idea tomorrow.:)

Liz
20-Jan-08, 20:11
Maybe it is. Vet didn't say there was a bug going around though.

Maybe if he gets some treatment from the Vets then he will be able to start eating again.
Poor Charly he usually loves his grub!

Liz
20-Jan-08, 20:27
I have just phoned the Vet but he is out on call so waiting for him to phone me back.
Didn't really want to wait another day!:(

unicorn
20-Jan-08, 20:36
I hope it all goes ok liz, best to get vet out though in case he starts to dehydrate.

Liz
20-Jan-08, 20:45
Well that's Charly off to the Vet surgery. I couldn't go with him as feeling so unwell myself.
Maybe I should have gone and had a consultation for myself!

Thankfully he shouldn't be dehydrated as he has been drinking due to the diuretics.

It is so awful to see my normally happy boy so miserable.

I really hope that the Vet can give him something to settle his tum. Of course, me being me, I am so worried in case it is something more sinister!!:(

unicorn
20-Jan-08, 20:49
He is in the right hands now Liz so go get some rest for yourself now, you are no good to charly and the others if you are exhausted.

Liz
20-Jan-08, 20:52
I know you are right Unicorn but I just love my pets so much that it hits me hard when they are ill.

Will let you know how he gets on.

cuddlepop
20-Jan-08, 21:02
healing light now going at full belt,glad I'm not getting the electic bill.:lol:

fingers,toes and hands and feet crossed.:D

Liz
20-Jan-08, 21:06
Bless you Cuddlepop!:D

Wonder what will happen if the healing light going to and from Skye meets?
A wee explosion perhaps?

I really wish I had gone to the Vets as am sitting here worrying wondering what the Vet is saying.
Feeling so yuck that I might have keeled over in the surgery though and might have been kept in in a cage!!!:eek:

Phoenix200416
20-Jan-08, 21:19
healing light now going at full belt,glad I'm not getting the electic bill.

fingers,toes and hands and feet crossed.

Electicity bill for healing light....hmmmm...why did no-one tell me someone has 2 pay for that :lol: I hope its not me! LOL

You'll have to keep us updated. Hope that Charly starts to feel better soon and that its nothing serious. Poor guy. I'll send some healing light (shhhh...keep it a secret I don't want the bill coming my way!)

Liz
20-Jan-08, 21:30
Well that's Charly back from the Vets and he is pretty sure it is a bad bout of gastroenteritis.< p> He has been prescribed Metronidazole and Canikur. Fun giving the latter as it has to be made into a paste! Good job he is such a good boy and will let me give him medication.
Hopefully, this will make him a lot better soon. This and all the healing light and love being sent!
The good news is that his heart is fine.
Off to have a bath and must try to rest now.
Thanks ever so much everyone for your ongoing love and support.

Phoenix200416
20-Jan-08, 21:33
Pleased to hear that Charly got a diagnosis. At least *fingers crossed* the medication can help get him sorted out know. Poor guy. He'll back to his usual self in know time I'm sure :)

cuddlepop
20-Jan-08, 21:39
Well that's Charly back from the Vets and he is pretty sure it is a bad bout of gastroenteritis.< p> He has been prescribed Metronidazole and Canikur. Fun giving the latter as it has to be made into a paste! Good job he is such a good boy and will let me give him medication.
Hopefully, this will make him a lot better soon. This and all the healing light and love being sent!
The good news is that his heart is fine.
Off to have a bath and must try to rest now.
Thanks ever so much everyone for your ongoing love and support.

You are officially told to chill from all of us at the pet forum.
Your officially off duty,no more worrying (we'll do it for you)
Its a horrible tummy bug that will get better so you take care of "yourself "
just now.Heart tablets working.
Sermon over.:D

Liz
20-Jan-08, 23:41
Well think the adrenaline rush of going to the Vets must have done wonders for Charly as he has been a lot better since he came back!
When my dog Benjy got up from resting just now he was limping and there was blood on his right back paw. On examination it turns out the claw is missing!! Eek! (smilies not working!) I take it there isn't much I can do apart from keep it clean. Oh flipping heck.
Ain't life grand! Might just take him to the Vets anyway to be on the safe side.
Will need to pass my hat around amongst you all at this rate!

carasmam
21-Jan-08, 00:21
Pets may reduce stress, but they also reduce the bank balance as well :Razz
Sending you all big hugs {{ }}

unicorn
21-Jan-08, 11:20
not much you can do for a missing claw, he will keep it clean himself, it bleeds a lot and looks awful but normally heals fine.

nanoo
21-Jan-08, 12:40
Well think the adrenaline rush of going to the Vets must have done wonders for Charly as he has been a lot better since he came back!
When my dog Benjy got up from resting just now he was limping and there was blood on his right back paw. On examination it turns out the claw is missing!! Eek! (smilies not working!) I take it there isn't much I can do apart from keep it clean. Oh flipping heck.
Ain't life grand! Might just take him to the Vets anyway to be on the safe side.
Will need to pass my hat around amongst you all at this rate!
Don't worry too much about the missing claw Bengy has Liz, Our Gizmo caught her claw on something and the amount of blood i found was frightening. We were out at the time, but when we got home we found the blood on the kitchen worktop, on insection of Gizmo the blood had dried up and her paw was missing a claw. This was last summer and the claw has grown back and she is fine, it was tender for a couple of days though. Everything will be okay for Benjy as well. So glad to hear the news on Charly too, he is going to be okay Liz, just think possitive thoughts. Big kisses to them both and a cuddle as well. Chin up girl.;)

Liz
21-Jan-08, 13:28
Thanks both.
Well glad to say that Charly is a good bit better today and, hopefully, is on the road to recovery. Again!
Benjy isn't putting any weight on the paw where he lost the nail(claw?)and licks it a lot. So have booked him into the Vets just to be on the safe side. Still haven't a clue what happened!

justine
21-Jan-08, 15:16
oh lizz am sorry to hear this.:( I hope they are both making a full recovery and wuill have you pulling your hair out soon.:lol:..give hugs from me...

Liz
21-Jan-08, 15:21
Thanks Justine!
I have to go on a course of steroids myself as my asthmas is so bad.
I am a bit concerened as the missing nail is on Benjy's leg which he injured when he was a puppy. Hoping it is a coincidence though as he wasn't limping until I noticed the claw/nail was missing.
So far 2008 has been rubbish!!!
How is Parsley doing Justine?

justine
21-Jan-08, 15:43
Thanks Justine!
I have to go on a course of steroids myself as my asthmas is so bad.
I am a bit concerened as the missing nail is on Benjy's leg which he injured when he was a puppy. Hoping it is a coincidence though as he wasn't limping until I noticed the claw/nail was missing.
So far 2008 has been rubbish!!!
How is Parsley doing Justine?

he stil falls over every now and then.We have been watching him intently(or i have) and i think he must have damaged his foot whilst out in the summer...I know he had a fight with his dad, and then spent two days hiding away in his hutch..I had checked him but could not find any injuries on him then...He seemed fine until about1 mth back.But it is his back left leg.It seems as though he may have damaged it and loses his balance on that side..The vet seems happy with him and thinks e couls live a happy life.He is a full time house rabbit now, in his cage in the fromt room.he is only allowed out now in the evenings so the little ones dont get him...I would love for him to go out with the others in the summer but he cant, so i will have to keep spoiling him....

I agree this year has been pretty rubbish so far.....

carasmam
21-Jan-08, 16:44
Electicity bill for healing light....hmmmm...why did no-one tell me someone has 2 pay for that :lol: I hope its not me! LOL

You'll have to keep us updated. Hope that Charly starts to feel better soon and that its nothing serious. Poor guy. I'll send some healing light (shhhh...keep it a secret I don't want the bill coming my way!)

Healing light is generated by Caithness (&Skye !!) wind so is totally free and to be made full use of by all in pets corner whenever needed :lol:

ps it will never run out either

Liz
21-Jan-08, 17:54
he stil falls over every now and then.We have been watching him intently(or i have) and i think he must have damaged his foot whilst out in the summer...I know he had a fight with his dad, and then spent two days hiding away in his hutch..I had checked him but could not find any injuries on him then...He seemed fine until about1 mth back.But it is his back left leg.It seems as though he may have damaged it and loses his balance on that side..The vet seems happy with him and thinks e couls live a happy life.He is a full time house rabbit now, in his cage in the fromt room.he is only allowed out now in the evenings so the little ones dont get him...I would love for him to go out with the others in the summer but he cant, so i will have to keep spoiling him....

I agree this year has been pretty rubbish so far.....
Well I am glad that Parsley is doing okay and she is so lucky to have a loving owner and not be left in a small hutch at the bottom of the garden and largely ignored like some poor bunnies!
Have you tried any natural remedies such as Arnica? This can really help with injuries and if you contact Ainsworths (www.ainsworths.com (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.ainsworths.co.uk)) they may be prescribe a specific remedy? The good thing with homeopathic remedies is they can never do any harm.
Let's hope 2008 gets a bit better!!

Liz
21-Jan-08, 17:58
Sorry Justine I put the wrong website address for Ainsworths and changed it but still went to wrong website from link.
The website address is www.ainsworths.com. It's worth a try as, even if the injury is old, homeopathy may still help.

Liz
21-Jan-08, 18:51
Well that's my wounded soldier back from the Vets!
The Vet thinks he must have snagged the nail on something and it has come clean away. She gave him an antibiotic injection and bandaged his foot.
We take the bandage off on Friday and he is not allowed walks until then.
Thanks for all your encouragement and support.

Phoenix200416
21-Jan-08, 19:03
Healing light is generated by Caithness (&Skye !!) wind so is totally free and to be made full use of by all in pets corner whenever needed :lol:

ps it will never run out either

Well thats a relieve! LOL I'd hate to have to pay that bill, but now I will feel free to use the healing light without worrying :lol:

hell raizer
21-Jan-08, 19:15
hi liz, im glad the dogs are feeling better - my 12yr old dog had a funny tummy just before xmas and was out of sorts for a couple of days

Liz
21-Jan-08, 19:34
hi liz, im glad the dogs are feeling better - my 12yr old dog had a funny tummy just before xmas and was out of sorts for a couple of days

Thanks! I always make sure I have a supply of Canikur as my dog Benjy is prone to bottom burps!
I have found the cheapest place to get this is www.vetuk.co.uk
Stupidly, I never realised you could give this to cats! I have bought a small supply of the granules as well just in case.

Margaret M.
21-Jan-08, 19:52
Aw, Liz, I'm so sorry you've been feeling poorly and your pets too! Sounds like the worst is over so rest and take care of yourself.

hell raizer
21-Jan-08, 19:56
i could do with something like that for my yorkie - his manners are awful :~(
hope your feeling better, this weather ain't very good for us sufferers

Liz
21-Jan-08, 20:06
The only food that Benjy can tolerate is Naturediet Light.
Probiotics are good as well for keeping the bottom burps at bay.
Feeling really rough as I have sinusitis and an ear infection as well. Start my steroids tomorrow so hopefully they will help.
Do you have asthma as well? It is really awful not being able to breath properly!
The weather doesn't help but find that a lot of things, including stress!, affects mine.
I do find that the sea air is a help so try to go for a walk on the beach as much as possible.

Liz
21-Jan-08, 20:08
Aw, Liz, I'm so sorry you've been feeling poorly and your pets too! Sounds like the worst is over so rest and take care of yourself.

Thanks Margaret!

hell raizer
21-Jan-08, 20:12
i've got chronic obstructive pulmory disease, id love to go for a walk along the beach with dogs but wind and frost nearly kills me :(

Liz
21-Jan-08, 20:22
i've got chronic obstructive pulmory disease, id love to go for a walk along the beach with dogs but wind and frost nearly kills me :(

Oh poor you!
I can't go a walk if the wind is in my face and have to put a scarf over my face if it's cold.
Also have to walk slow due to arthritis. Have a few other healh problems as well and my pets are such great company and keep me going.
They really are the best tonic in the world!
That is why I get in such a tizz when they are ill as they mean the world to me!
Wishing you better health.

hell raizer
22-Jan-08, 00:03
as long as the dogs are feeling better thats the main thing,take care of yourself

cuddlepop
22-Jan-08, 10:50
as long as the dogs are feeling better thats the main thing,take care of yourself
That's what we're all thinking Liz,now its time to take care of yourself.
Glad charly's on the mend and the other's claw will heal.
Take care of you pleeeeease.:D

nanoo
22-Jan-08, 13:40
Well Liz, now that we've got Charly and Benjy on the mend, i don't think they will mind a bit if we redirect some of that healing light on to their Mum, in fact there is so much of it coming from all directions that i know they insist on it. Seriously Liz, lookafter yourself and give yourself a chance to recover, we all wish you and the family a speedy return to good health. ;) This is for Margaret :roll: i wouldn't want her to feel left out Te he.

carasmam
22-Jan-08, 13:41
Well Liz, now that we've got Charly and Benjy on the mend, i don't think they will mind a bit if we redirect some of that healing light on to their Mum, in fact there is so much of it coming from all directions that i know they insist on it. Seriously Liz, lookafter yourself and give yourself a chance to recover, we all wish you and the family a speedy return to good health. ;) This is for Margaret :roll: i wouldn't want her to feel left out Te he.

Quite agree Nanoo. Look after yourself Liz

Liz
22-Jan-08, 13:54
Awwww thanks everyone! You are all so lovely and genuinely caring people!
Group hug?(still can't get my smilies to work!)
Sorry if I've been moaning on about myself.
Charly is much better and Benjy is doing his Hopalong Cassidy impersenation rather well!lol
I started my steroids today so hopefully they will kick in soon. I am going to try to rest now and be ready for action when Benjy's bandages come off on Friday. Mind you the way he is going they will be off before then as he keeps biting at it!!
I am going to try Bitter Apple Spray. Any other suggestions?The only other alternative would be a collar but I know he would hate that!

carasmam
22-Jan-08, 14:05
How about a pair of tights or a stay up stocking :Razz Poor Benjy !! Try a sock on his other leg it will distract him from that one for a wee whiley at least

Liz
22-Jan-08, 15:15
Maybe I should bandage his jaws together?!lol
He's not too bad and usually stops after a sharp 'No'! He has managed to bite a wee hole in it though.
Thank goodness it's only a few days more. Mind you he is putting his foot down more now so think it must be healing pretty well.
Off now to have a lie down as I have been told to rest!!! xxxx