PDA

View Full Version : Dog minder

Fran
20-Jan-08, 04:50
Still looking for someone to occasionally look after my well behaved medium sized 7 year old dog. I dont like to leave him on his own except for a short time, but sometimes I might need to be away for 4 hours and would like someone to have him in their home till i come back for him. He really is good, obedient and well behaved. Spmetimes I might need someone to have him overnight for 2 days. If you are interested please send me a pm and let me know what hourly rate you would expect.

neepnipper
20-Jan-08, 09:29
I have sent you a pm.

justine
20-Jan-08, 15:44
if your dog gets on with bingo then i would be more than happy to look after him for you...no charge.I understand how hard it is to get someone to look after animals....Pm and let me know

Tyke
21-Jan-08, 18:40
Hi Fran,
Have you ever tried a Boarding Kennel?
Some are really nice places, centrally heated and your dog would be well looked after. It has got to be more secure leaving your dog in a licensed Kennel then looking for some one to take care of your dog, just off the street as it were. No offence intended to anyone.
Recently heard of some one in Wick who had been looking after peoples dogs whilst their owners were away. House covered in dog mess, dogs not fed etc.
Please be very careful who you let look after your best friend.

justine
21-Jan-08, 18:52
Hi Fran,
Have you ever tried a Boarding Kennel?
Some are really nice places, centrally heated and your dog would be well looked after. It has got to be more secure leaving your dog in a licensed Kennel then looking for some one to take care of your dog, just off the street as it were. No offence intended to anyone.
Recently heard of some one in Wick who had been looking after peoples dogs whilst their owners were away. House covered in dog mess, dogs not fed etc.
Please be very careful who you let look after your best friend.

Hope someone told about the state of the place and the fact that dogs are expected to stay in conditions like that....god i would have gone mental if i found bingo being looked after in any other way than i do it myself. But the advise is good, trust the person before you trust them with your dog...

Tyke
21-Jan-08, 19:04
Hope someone told about the state of the place and the fact that dogs are expected to stay in conditions like that....god i would have gone mental if i found bingo being looked after in any other way than i do it myself. But the advise is good, trust the person before you trust them with your dog...

The person responsible is now in Jail on a totally unrelated offence. Anybody who sets themselves up in Business like this should be licensed and inspected by the Council, Police, SSPCA and Fire Brigade exactly the same as any reputable Boarding Establishment. Mind you so should dog groomers.

carasmam
21-Jan-08, 23:45
Tyke - Wick, Caithness even, is a very small place and all anyone needs to do is ask a couple of people and we would have someone's history and character within minutes. [lol] Sometimes thats the best thing about living in a small community. It's not like stopping a random stranger on the street and asking them to take your dog for a few hours.

Fran
22-Jan-08, 01:09
Thank you all for your replies. I have been looking for a dog minder for nearly 3 months. I could never put him in a kennel. He is still grieving for his master so I dont want anything to upset him. He is such a lovely dog, a wonderful nature and I would need to know he would be looked after by someone reliable and kind. at the moment himselfs family look after him occasionally but I cant expect them to do it all the time. I have cut my work hours drastically so I dont have to leave him too long. He has never been left before. when I go out he runs straight up to my bed when he sees me put my jacket on!!!
There is an organisation starting soon for people wanting to dog sit and those who want their dogs looked after, but these things take time and it will be great when it gets going.I used to look after a policemans dog till they moved away and the owner had peace of mind.

Tyke
22-Jan-08, 11:32
Thank you all for your replies. I have been looking for a dog minder for nearly 3 months. I could never put him in a kennel. He is still grieving for his master so I dont want anything to upset him. He is such a lovely dog, a wonderful nature and I would need to know he would be looked after by someone reliable and kind. at the moment himselfs family look after him occasionally but I cant expect them to do it all the time. I have cut my work hours drastically so I dont have to leave him too long. He has never been left before. when I go out he runs straight up to my bed when he sees me put my jacket on!!!
There is an organisation starting soon for people wanting to dog sit and those who want their dogs looked after, but these things take time and it will be great when it gets going.I used to look after a policemans dog till they moved away and the owner had peace of mind.

Was allthis just a fishing exercise for a new business then.

Blondie
22-Jan-08, 11:38
Thats not a very nice thing to say to Fran! Of course it wasn't!

Tyke
22-Jan-08, 11:43
Tyke - Wick, Caithness even, is a very small place and all anyone needs to do is ask a couple of people and we would have someone's history and character within minutes. [lol] Sometimes thats the best thing about living in a small community. It's not like stopping a random stranger on the street and asking them to take your dog for a few hours.

May have been true at one time, but with Dounray closing a lot faster than most people thought, a lot of families are on the move. In and Out of the County. Times are changing, and people are looking to find alternative employment in non traditional areas.

unicorn
22-Jan-08, 12:06
what a horrible thing to say to Fran, If you knew what she had been through in the last few months and how much comfort her partners dog has given her by reading through her previous posts then you would know why she is keen for someone to be giving her dog 1 on 1 time as a dogsitter when she cannot be there. She is doing her best for a loyal companion.

justine
22-Jan-08, 13:07
what a horrible thing to say to Fran, If you knew what she had been through in the last few months and how much comfort her partners dog has given her by reading through her previous posts then you would know why she is keen for someone to be giving her dog 1 on 1 time as a dogsitter when she cannot be there. She is doing her best for a loyal companion.

Totaly correct again unicorn. Tyke needs to get there facts completely right before jumping on frans back....There was no need for that statement at all.

Fran i assume that the dog is fine with kids that know how to be around dogs...

carasmam
22-Jan-08, 13:25

Are you sure it wasn't you fishing to fill an empty kennel? [disgust]

justine
22-Jan-08, 13:29
Are you sure it wasn't you fishing to fill an empty kennel? [disgust]
you could be correct there.They were the one who informed us all of animal abuse.Tyke has been quick to jump on backs here but i have not seen them offer to help fran...makes you wonder why they bothered to post on the thread in the first place. Although i think there intentions were honourable at first but then it changed...

Tyke
22-Jan-08, 13:53
Sorry if I have upset anyone, I know nothing of Fran's personal circumstances and I am certainly not promoting my own business here, not the place.

But I firmly believe that anyone setting up a business dealing with animals should be subject to the same rules and regulations as any other kennel pet shop etc.

I can assure everyone that I am one of the first people to help when my customers friends or relatives have problems with which I can help and if I had known of Fran's circumstances, I would have put myself forward to help.

Far too quick to judge!!!

router
22-Jan-08, 14:07
Sorry if I have upset anyone, I know nothing of Fran's personal circumstances and I am certainly not promoting my own business here, not the place.

But I firmly believe that anyone setting up a business dealing with animals should be subject to the same rules and regulations as any other kennel pet shop etc.

I can assure everyone that I am one of the first people to help when my customers friends or relatives have problems with which I can help and if I had known of Fran's circumstances, I would have put myself forward to help.

Far too quick to judge!!!

You say far too quick to judge. You were the one who jumped on fran. I believe you have a boarding kennels, hope it is up to standard...I would never dream of leaving my dog with any boarding kennels,did that once, when we got back dog was starving and i could tell it was not properly looked after. Not implying this true to all kennel owners but some are only out for what they can make money wise, and not the welfare of the dog...

Fran neither desrves what you said and i hope that your appologies are heart felt...:(

Tyke
22-Jan-08, 14:27
My opology is genuine.

I am sorry that you have a bad experience, you can a look at my place anytime you want, we welcome any inspection.

Liz
22-Jan-08, 15:10
You say far too quick to judge. You were the one who jumped on fran. I believe you have a boarding kennels, hope it is up to standard...I would never dream of leaving my dog with any boarding kennels,did that once, when we got back dog was starving and i could tell it was not properly looked after. Not implying this true to all kennel owners but some are only out for what they can make money wise, and not the welfare of the dog...

Fran neither desrves what you said and i hope that your appologies are heart felt...:(

I agree that what Tyke said to Fran was out of order but he has apologised.
I can vouch that the kennels he runs are excellent unlike the one your poor dog stayed at.
I agree with Tyke as well in that people running dog sitting businesses etc should be properly regulated.
Thankfully, as Carasmam rightly said, we are usually able to find out about most people!
Having said that I know that some people are entrusting their dogs to the care of a local 'worthy' for walks etc and I don't know how they can do this as I wouldn't trust him with mine!

justine
22-Jan-08, 15:57
that is why i walk my own dog and look after all his needs.I trust myself and my family alone.But i also think that looking after someones dog should be just like the dog being your own...most dog kennels are well run and Router i am sorry that your experience was a bad one..Hope it was not a kennel based in Caithness?

Fran
22-Jan-08, 16:40

NO its not a fishing exercise for a new business. when would I have time to look after dogs! Its me looking again for a babysitter for my dog. I was just mentioning about a new service i have been told is coming as i think its a great idea, especially for someone rushed to hospital etc who has a dog at home. I was rushed to hospital recently but was luck that himselfs sister got my dog and took him to himselfs brother, who the dog loves, so I had peace of mind. Not so lucky for some people who have no one to care for a pet they adore.