PDA

View Full Version : Cuisinaire Rods..nostalgia!

karia
19-Jan-08, 22:38
Hi Folks,

The 'plasticine' thread got me thinking about my long lost youth...

.....but then I stopped thinking of him and remembered..........
....... 'Cuisinaire Rods':lol:

They were a counting method using comparatives that appeared in the 60's

1 was white
2 was red
3 was green...etc!

They were physical blocks of coloured wood that you could place side by side to help evaluate numbers and their relationships.

Anyone remember them?

To this day I see numbers in colour and my husband remembers them from primary school in port Skerra.

They have a wikipedia entry if you are unsure.

Bobinovich
19-Jan-08, 22:41
I had to Google them to find out what you were on about there Karia, but after seeing them yes I do remember them now! Can't say I think of numbers as colours these days - more as £ signs [lol]

psyberyeti
19-Jan-08, 23:07
Yeah, I had some. I was a bit of a thickie at scholl so my mom got me some of these coloured wooden bities to help with my counting. I did not help my counting but I can build a damn good wooden house now.:lol:

karia
19-Jan-08, 23:54
I had to Google them to find out what you were on about there Karia, but after seeing them yes I do remember them now! Can't say I think of numbers as colours these days - more as £ signs [lol]

Acht the shame!:roll:

Thumper
19-Jan-08, 23:58
Nobody told me thats what they were for :(......I made some pretty good houses and castles with them though ;) x

Lolabelle
20-Jan-08, 09:38
I remember them from primary school, great for towers etc, but I do also recall using them to learn to add. I think. :eek:

miranda
20-Jan-08, 18:41
either im too young ..lol :lol: or was too clever to need :lol:them as i never seen them before!!!..more like a mental block on primary school ..haha

Julia
20-Jan-08, 19:14
Funny you should mention those Karia, I noticed some for sale in our schools fundraising catalogue...

get your fill here ;)

http://www.yellowmoon.org.uk/cat_id/GROWMATH/product-Connecting-Cuisenaireandreg-Rods-M503.htm

karia
20-Jan-08, 19:37
Thanks for that Julia,

I see they are plastic now and link together......is nothing sacred?:lol:

Julia
20-Jan-08, 19:46
Apparently not LOL.....

I think I may invest in some for my eldest, I have a vague recollection of using them at school

miranda
20-Jan-08, 19:51
im sure what i used in primary school for counting was coloured plastic blocks that you could build with are these the same or different:confused

trix
20-Jan-08, 20:11
i da ken fit they are, never seen them before - surly i must be too yowng :Razz:lol:

karia
20-Jan-08, 20:34
Hi trix,

They were a medieval calculator!;)

Highland Laddie
20-Jan-08, 20:49
never used them, at primary school, it was the Abacus we used.

lasher
21-Jan-08, 18:35
Thanks for that Julia,

I see they are plastic now and link together......is nothing sacred?:lol:
You still get wooden ones too http://www.brightminds.co.uk/create_part_page.asp?part=J1912&gclid=CPGo1N3sh5ECFRGCGgodnltKHg