PDA

View Full Version : tree planting advice needed.

justine
19-Jan-08, 18:47
Hi well i am going to describe the bottom of my back garden and hopefully you will be able to help me in my quest...

We have a large back wall 50ft wide by 8ft tall. the soil is pretty much soaked all the time, especially after heavy rain.You could say it gets water logged..We have thought about drainage but i was wondering if there are any trees or garden plants that will withstand the caithness weather and very wet soil. I am looking for trees or hedging for privacy, height, evergreen can be easily maintained and must like wet ground....:eek: i am probably asking too much, am i not.

I have been surfing the web but have only come up with willow, but that looses all it greenery in the winter...Any suggestions would be gladly recieved.. Thanks in advance...

connieb19
19-Jan-08, 18:52
How much more private can you get than a 50ft wide and 8ft high wall?

unicorn
19-Jan-08, 18:54
Lleylandi hedging is supposed to be good

justine
19-Jan-08, 18:57
How much more private can you get than a 50ft wide and 8ft high wall?
i want to cover the horrible grey concrete wall and keep the privacy i want.
It woyuld be no good having a small hedge and still see the wall.And also the fact that i ahve a garden that is very open on all sides i want something that i can put around the whole garden to give us more privacy....our garden is 72ft by 50ft, so you could say we need alot of privacy...Ok...

justine
19-Jan-08, 19:00
Lleylandi hedging is supposed to be good
yes my hubby mentioned them.we have looked but i am a picky sod and would like something that brightens the garden not blocks it off...I prefer flowing trees and this is where i am getting stuck in my hunt for the perfect trees...

NickInTheNorth
19-Jan-08, 19:00
willow or alder should both thrive in those conditions - willow in particular grows rampantly. Even better if you can find a willow from which you can take cuttings (with permission!) simply take lots of cuttings and stick them in the ground, before you know it you'll have a thriving forest!

justine
19-Jan-08, 19:03
willow or alder should both thrive in those conditions - willow in particular grows rampantly. Even better if you can find a willow from which you can take cuttings (with permission!) simply take lots of cuttings and stick them in the ground, before you know it you'll have a thriving forest!
i have a kilmarnock weeping willow already growing in the front.Would that be ok to take cuttings from and plant.?...

NickInTheNorth
19-Jan-08, 19:12
How big is the weeping willow?

They grow quite easily to 50+ feet unless grafted onto a smaller root stock. A better optin may be just plain ordinary pussy willow which I seem to recall is Salix caprea, it is vital to keep any willow well pruned, as even the pussy willow often known a shrub can grow to 40+ feet!

The other factor to watch for is root growth, they can have roots to about 3 times there height!

But the catkins in spring are wonderful :)

Sorry should also say that yes the weeping willow should be good for cuttings, it really loves life does the willow, and cuttings grow without any real help.

justine
19-Jan-08, 19:46
How big is the weeping willow?

They grow quite easily to 50+ feet unless grafted onto a smaller root stock. A better optin may be just plain ordinary pussy willow which I seem to recall is Salix caprea, it is vital to keep any willow well pruned, as even the pussy willow often known a shrub can grow to 40+ feet!

The other factor to watch for is root growth, they can have roots to about 3 times there height!

But the catkins in spring are wonderful :)

Sorry should also say that yes the weeping willow should be good for cuttings, it really loves life does the willow, and cuttings grow without any real help.
Cheers...
unfortunately mine is only a little one.It stands about 4-5ft in height. We established it last year..and i cant wait for the catkins to come alive in the spring...I am worried about the roots if we do decide to go for it as i dont want the wall collapsing and the kids getting hurt. Thats another factor i have to watch for, i need tree that are no poisonous to children or animals..

lady penelope
19-Jan-08, 23:50
Does it have to be trees? Buddliea and fushia(sorry for the spelling) both can grow huge and although the are not evergreen leave thick branches and arenon toxic to small animals and children. They look so pretty in the summer and our fushia is 10feet tall.

justine
20-Jan-08, 15:57
Does it have to be trees? Buddliea and fushia(sorry for the spelling) both can grow huge and although the are not evergreen leave thick branches and arenon toxic to small animals and children. They look so pretty in the summer and our fushia is 10feet tall.

no it does not have to be trees. I am looking for flowing plants that have height and width..I had thought of rhododendrums but they spread to much.I am gonna look up your suggestions and see what comes up..Any more would help me. I love to have a garden full of colour but i do like privacy...