PDA

View Full Version : Going Green

Rampant Rabbit
19-Jan-08, 18:20
Why can't council vans run on lpg and save a fortune and go green like they are telling other people to do. They should lead by example. Like BT vans.

NickInTheNorth
19-Jan-08, 18:49
Why can't council vans run on lpg and save a fortune and go green like they are telling other people to do. They should lead by example. Like BT vans.

Are you certain that LPG is greener and not just cheaper?

Might bio-diesel not be a better alternative?

dozy
19-Jan-08, 19:05
Are you certain that LPG is greener and not just cheaper?

Might bio-diesel not be a better alternative?

Your right ,its cheaper but not green . Why should the council bother anyway its you thats paying the bill what ever the price of petrol goes to ...

richman
19-Jan-08, 19:19
are you sure it 's no greener ? same co 2 mebbe , but i thought there was less pollutant 's ???

Through
19-Jan-08, 19:25
Diesel is highly likely to cause asthma. Yet it is encouraged.

Even new diesel vehicles emit soot. It is something I've watched out for, ever since I heard about the asthma problem and I was surprised to see new vehicles pose a problem.

They must be built specifically to pass the emissions test and the test must be lacking.

My record is a Tigra that could have been one month old to judge from the registration plate. The date was 1 October, the plate was from 1 September. The Tigra was going along Princes Street at quite a slow looking pace and when it suddenly accelerated, a cloud of black soot came out of the exhaust.

Not that long ago, I spotted a council vehicle trying to get up Berriedale Braes. What soot was coming out of that thing!

Each year, the westminster government awards a contract for the monitoring of air quality. The organisation in posession, also research issues like this. They have a lot of evidence about diesel exhaust causing asthma.

The government is aware, but nothing changes.

Decades ago, Brazil had a scheme to run buses on alcohol. Now there is a sustainable fuel and clean too. That was Brazil. That was decades ago. Westminster chooses to do nothing.

NickInTheNorth
19-Jan-08, 19:27
are you sure it 's no greener ? same co 2 mebbe , but i thought there was less pollutant 's ???
Basically it is a fossil fuel, as such it cannot be a green fuel, as it takes carbon locked away in the earth and releases it into the atmosphere as co2.

It has slightly lower emissions than either petrol or diesel, but you get less miles to the gallon.

Bio-diesel on the other hand is produced from renewable resources. There are however many problems reported with the production of such fuels leading to less food production in areas where it is already in short supply.

Perhaps we should really be persuing a genuinely renewable and non-polluting power source such as hydrogen.

NickInTheNorth
19-Jan-08, 19:32
Decades ago, Brazil had a scheme to run buses on alcohol. Now there is a sustainable fuel and clean too. That was Brazil. That was decades ago. Westminster chooses to do nothing.
I believe that something like 80% of cars in Brazil can run on ethanol / methanol / or petrol, in pretty much any combination!!

richman
19-Jan-08, 19:39
ok, so it 's no green but i thought lpg had less nastie 's , tar , benzene , etc ???

Through
19-Jan-08, 19:52
Basically it is a fossil fuel, as such it cannot be a green fuel, as it takes carbon locked away in the earth and releases it into the atmosphere as co2.

It has slightly lower emissions than either petrol or diesel, but you get less miles to the gallon.

Bio-diesel on the other hand is produced from renewable resources. There are however many problems reported with the production of such fuels leading to less food production in areas where it is already in short supply.

Perhaps we should really be persuing a genuinely renewable and non-polluting power source such as hydrogen.

LPG comes from the petrochem industry. A long time ago, there was no oil and gas. Oil and gas was formed when prehistoric micro-organisms and plant life died, collected, was covered over, and was then subjected to immense pressures and high temperatures. This took many, many years.

So, you can see that there was a long time in the earth's history when there was no oil and gas, or coal for that matter. All of that carbon dioxide was in the environment in one form or another. If we use up all of the oil and gas, including LPG and return it to the environment, then we return to the previous natural state that the planet was in before oil and gas formed.

How can you say that it is or is not environmentally friendly? It doesn't do us any harm as carbon dioxide.

Hydrogen is an awful expensive way to go. Even the hydrogen supporters are quite honest about. People already complain about the high cost of filling up their vehicle with fuel. Hydrogen would cost 10 times what we pay today.

hydrogen.co.uk even shows the calculation of this figure.

Through
19-Jan-08, 19:54
Yes Richman, you are right. No tar, no benzene.

Unleaded has a significant cancer risk.

richman
19-Jan-08, 20:43
thank you through , i thought i 'd been had .

i drive lpg vans and they showed us a film when we changed from diesel last year.