PDA

View Full Version : Do They Still Exist?

brokencross
19-Jan-08, 14:20
I was just reading a book; it mentioned a pickpocket and this set me thinking. You never to seem to hear about them anymore.
Do pickpockets still exist as a type of criminal or have they evolved and are now less subtle and go straight to mugging with threats of violence?

karia
19-Jan-08, 14:42
Hi brokencross,

Pretty sure they still exist!

Going round our local Supermarket the tannoys are always being used to remind you to keep your bags within sight and your purses and wallets inaccessible.

I believe a lot of 'pickpockets' operate in busy shopping areas at Christmas..hence the increased police presence around then...knives are sometimes carried not to threaten but to cut handbag straps and rucksack pockets.

Dadie
19-Jan-08, 15:06
yes they still exist I had my purse stolen from my back pocket of my tight jeans in the central one christmas while i was waiting to be served at the bar (it was found empty at the end of the night in the bin in the ladies loos)

unicorn
19-Jan-08, 15:08
They definately still exist in Spain, beware people selling you flowers, as when they have your attention someone sneaks up behind and fleeces you.

bekisman
19-Jan-08, 15:09
Leave your wallet in your back pocket, or accessible bag in Regent Street and Oxford Street in London - guarantee you'll get pickpocketed, Police are doing their best with plain clothes cops, but a loosing battle

mums angels
19-Jan-08, 15:37
Hubby got his wallet stolen in Glasgow braehead shopping centre , the wallet was in his front jeans pocket, bit baggy but you would have thought he'd have noticed .

he always notices when i try to steal his wallet :lol:

justine
19-Jan-08, 16:13
there was a police warning about pickpockets in the high streets of big cities this christmas just gone. With so many poeple out shopping it is a pickpockets heaven..If you look into crime statistics you will find pickpocketing quite high on the list, especially at holiday time..This is a world wide problem that is as rife today as it was a centuary ago..Fact not fiction.

Anne x
19-Jan-08, 16:19
Boy do they exist everywhere member of the family had all her travel documents and money stolen in Paris on the metro

justine
19-Jan-08, 16:21
yes dont they. my father was parked up a dover wiating for the ferry. He left his car locked and when he returned they had smashed out the back window taken his briefcase and leather coat..Thieves are the worst of the petty criminals..Taking what does not belong to them Despise them all...[evil]

helenwyler
19-Jan-08, 19:14
We have a busy market twice a week here. The Christmas before last there was a gang of teenage girls 'working' the market.

Their preferred method was to huddle round a (usually) elderly person, push in and distract them, while one of them removed their purse or cut their bag strap.[evil]

Solus
19-Jan-08, 19:18
more prevelent in the big cities and still very big over in Europe, Amsterdam is heaving with them.

Dadie
19-Jan-08, 19:35
yes more prevalent in the cities but it can happen at home in caithness too as I mentioned in my previous post it happened in the central bar which is in Thurso!
my sister also had her bag lifted out of her car in wick at somerfields or the co-op carpark (cant remember which) through her window

twiglet
19-Jan-08, 22:13
Yes, pickpockets still exist, London was terrible for them especialy at Christmas. Had to keep any valuables on my person in internal pockets etc in the city centre - nightmare!

gillian17
19-Jan-08, 22:29
I am not a thief but I bet I could steal anything but your underwear from you. Its all about diverting your attention. If you dont know me (or anyone you dont know for that matter) put your hand conspicuously on your purse/wallet. They will walk on and try someone else. It wont do their next victim any good but you shall feel better.

Thumper
19-Jan-08, 22:35
wasnt there some pick pockets working tescos in Wick not that long ago? I havent ever been pickpocketed but I have had my bag almost snatched in Inverness!It was very scary...but I held on to it! x

gillian17
19-Jan-08, 22:50
I know it is trite, but why do women carry bags. if I were to rob someone then a bag is surely easier than a wallet or a purse in a pocket.

golach
19-Jan-08, 22:58
There are professional gangs of pickpockets operating in most Cities these days.
The Edinburgh Festival time is a magnet to them because of the large crowds of people ejoying the Street entertainers, and relaxing, that is when they strike, and they come in all ages and sizes, and do operate in organised gangs. Most of the Gangs are from Eastern Europe.
Of course we have the local scum, who push over wee owld wifies and grab their pensions too, they in my opinion are equally as bad

karia
19-Jan-08, 23:11
[quote=golach;326302. Most of the Gangs are from Eastern Europe.
[/quote]

And you KNOW that do you?:confused

Lolabelle
20-Jan-08, 09:33

He just may do, as he worked in the tourist industry :Razz

golach
20-Jan-08, 11:36

Yes, in fact I do, as Lolabelle stated I am a seasonal worker in the Tourist Trade, and we are kept informed by Lothians and Borders finest, as part of the job, we regularly warn our Visitors to the City of the dangers of becoming complacent and too relaxed.
Have experienced Visitors coming to me personally, crying, can you help? I have had everything stolen, I then direct them to the nearest police information caravan, which are in Princes St Gardens all summer, specifically for that reason.
So Karia, put that in your pipe. [lol]

brokencross
20-Jan-08, 12:54
Most of the Gangs are from Eastern Europe.

Slightly off the thread, but around here we had a spate of ATM skimming and those caught were from Eastern Europe.

Back to pickpockets; I did watch a TV programme a long while ago about the efforts in the centre of London where plain clothed police and the CCTV operators in shops and the CCTV on the streets were all linked by radios and the suspected pick pockets were watched and tracked. Thing is it was not just one person and the "loot" was quickly off-loaded two or three times to other people within a short space of time.

In the days of light entertainment shows, "pickpockets" were often on as novelty acts and once the audience member was distracted the act could "steal" anything and everything, including belts, braces and watches.