PDA

View Full Version : Toymaster

Venture
18-Jan-08, 10:21
Heard yesterday that Toymaster in Bridge Street is closing. Is this true and does anyone know what its going to be used for now.

candyfloss
18-Jan-08, 10:24
I heard this too, they have got a big sale on so i thimk it could be true.

Mr P Cannop
18-Jan-08, 10:46
its in todays paper

mandy&baz
18-Jan-08, 17:17
its a sad sad day :~(

riggerboy
19-Jan-08, 09:13
sad thing is that we will get another takeaway of even worse another charity shop,

lynne duncan
19-Jan-08, 14:14
yes they are closing can't make money on the toys to warrant keeping open seemingly, though heard that g.begg is building new show room up beside vets for electrical and nursery goods, so i would imagine that he would close the electrical showroom beside somerfield so another 2 shops would be vaant in the towncenter

badger
19-Jan-08, 18:27
It is sad both Begg toy shops closing/closed but I always found there was never enough room. So much in them and so little space to look.

connieb19
19-Jan-08, 18:48
Is his elecrtical shop closed? I was trying to phone there today but no reply. Maybe they are just closed on a Saturday. :roll:

Ash
19-Jan-08, 19:50
toys were overpriced

botheed
19-Jan-08, 20:08
sad thing is that we will get another takeaway of even worse another charity shop,please not another charity shop:eek:they should pay rates like all the other shops, they have an unfair advantage

scorrie
19-Jan-08, 23:06
Apparently, you cannot blame Tesco. It must, therefore, be a coincidence that when most people support the notion of a "one stop shop", footfall decreases in the former High Street and shops close.

High rates, low footfall, low turnover are all poison to anyone hoping to set-up in the High Street of today's towns.

If it was simply a question of toys being overpriced, then every Toymaster in the UK would surely be closed.

It is just as well that Caithness is booming, or we might be a little worried about the influx of charridy and junk food shops.

rhino
19-Jan-08, 23:26
shame to hear of shops closing,

however, im not to surprised at this one.

Had never been appealing or tempting with any special offers, not much room to move around if you did venture inside plus being watched for every move made you feel as if you were actually guilty of something, only then to go to pay for your items for it to be calculated on a piece of paper with no receipt given. Pitty anyone who had a item to return,"no receipt,no refund".

Why is it that the town centre does not attempt to compete with the big stores?

i know it is practically impossible, but can they at least not try, can you name one that has any offers that entice you to buy?, any that stand out from the rest ?

I hopethey start to put up a worthy fight to stay competing.

cuddlepop
19-Jan-08, 23:31
In the past few months we've had two magor retailers close their doors in Portree,another one is retiring and the cd/computer game shop's up for lease this week
Portree has no industrial units competing with its centre so what's wrong?:confused

connieb19
19-Jan-08, 23:39
I'm all for buying locally but when shops like Graham Beggs don't even bother to answer their telephone on a Saturday afternoon it doesn't leave you much choice but to go elsewhere.

Torvaig
19-Jan-08, 23:53
I'm all for buying locally but when shops like Graham Beggs don't even bother to answer their telephone on a Saturday afternoon it doesn't leave you much choice but to go elsewhere.

Sorry Connie but somehow I don't think it would be a case of couldn't be bothered but more a case of the staff serving customers at the time. I don't like it when, if I'm being attended to in a shop or office, the person I am dealing with breaks off to answer the phone. Annoying for the person on the phone I know, but I was there first! And if there is only one person in the shop or office it must make it much more difficult to keep everybody happy.

henry20
20-Jan-08, 10:56
Why is it that the town centre does not attempt to compete with the big stores?

i know it is practically impossible, but can they at least not try, can you name one that has any offers that entice you to buy?, any that stand out from the rest ?

I hopethey start to put up a worthy fight to stay competing.

How do you know they dont? I work in a town centre shop and deal with buying - many of the companies won't deal direct as we won't be buying tens of thousands worth of goods in a year, so you have no option but to go to a wholesaler who charges a percentage on top of the prices you would get direct. Anyone that knows me well knows how many hours I put in outwith my paid time in an attempt to get competitive prices, but as its behind the scenes, it goes unnoticed by the customers :(

mandy&baz
20-Jan-08, 15:21
i think the only thing the shop was good for really was the advert outside the shop to remind you how many days were left till xmas!! lol woolworths has always been far cheaper than toymaster but i think that argos has killed them but it is sad to see so many shops closing and turning into charity shops or take aways

Blondie
20-Jan-08, 16:36
That shop will be missed for a lot more than that. Yes you can get the basics from Argos or Woolies but you wont get all the choice and little bits and pieces including pocket money stuff that Toymaster stocks.

There was no way of competing with Tesco or Argos on price. Believe me I know this for a fact.

Also I can assure you that if the phone wasnt answered on a saturday afternoon in the electrical shop, it was because the staff were busy. What business couldn't be bothered answering their phone???

In my opinion, its the end of an era. I for one am very sad to see it closing.

TBH
20-Jan-08, 16:40
I think they have missed the point about internet shopping perhaps being a factor in their closure.

Julia
20-Jan-08, 19:10
I think I've only ever been in that shop a couple of times, it's very claustrophobic and you can't really get a pram in. Knowing our luck in Wick the empty shop will become another bookies!

Yoda the flump
20-Jan-08, 19:40
I think they have missed the point about internet shopping perhaps being a factor in their closure.

Massive choice, excellent prices and I don't even have to leave the house.

I can get everything and more that Beggs had to offer of the internet with no hassle.