PDA

View Full Version : Aging Rock Stars

Lolabelle
18-Jan-08, 07:28
I was just watching the telly and Paul Simon was on, singing his latest. His voice sounded great, as always, but it looked wrong coming out of this old bloke. Then there's Mick Jagger, Led Zeppelin, Paul McCartney, the Beach Boys, and then there's Debra Harry. I look at them and think how old they look and realise how old I am. :eek:

helenwyler
18-Jan-08, 09:18
Too true, Lolabelle!

At least we're still alive though:).

And I'm sure you're aging just as (dis?)gracefully as me;).

Lolabelle
18-Jan-08, 09:27
Too true, Lolabelle!

At least we're still alive though.

And I'm sure you're aging just as (dis?)gracefully as me;).

I'm doing my best Helen, lol [lol]

Angela
18-Jan-08, 10:25
I feel the same, Lolabelle, but it's good they're all alive and well and still making music. :)
Some folk do age better physically than others of course. Personally I'd much rather see someone that hasn't had loads of plastic surgery and a totally artificial face.
A quick glance in the mirror reminds me they're not the only ones that have grown older!! ;)

Thumper
18-Jan-08, 10:36
It could be worse lola,you could have been looking at them and thinking "what are those youngsters thinking off?" [lol] x

mccaugm
18-Jan-08, 12:27
I was the proverbial eighties chick and still think the music from then is superior to whats available now. My son (sadly) is into heavy rock which sounds like a painful noise, my other son is in to more charty stuff which is tolerable. My youngest is into Queen (hes only 3) I love his musical choice.

Anne x
18-Jan-08, 12:54
yes Lolabelle and they are still rocking !!! my OH would just love to see Led Zeppelin again

I wonder if many of todays chart toppers will be around in 30 yrs and still rocking

nanoo
18-Jan-08, 13:09
I was the proverbial eighties chick and still think the music from then is superior to whats available now. My son (sadly) is into heavy rock which sounds like a painful noise, my other son is in to more charty stuff which is tolerable. My youngest is into Queen (hes only 3) I love his musical choice.
Your 3 year old son has impeccable taste, if i may say so mccaugm. [lol]

rob murray
18-Jan-08, 13:10
yes Lolabelle and they are still rocking !!! my OH would just love to see Led Zeppelin again

I wonder if many of todays chart toppers will be around in 30 yrs and still rocking

Jimmy Page is 64, J P Jones 64 and PLant is 60/61. Perhaps one of the key reasons ( apart from the fact that they can play ) they and others of this age ( The Who, Floyd etc ) are still around is to be found in the demography of their initial audience ie baby boomers :a one of population bulge between 1945 - 1950 /51, huge birth rate, a huge audience who got into them when they started ie 1968. Add new listeners people born outwith this age profile ) and you have a huge potenial audience. All the surving late 60's / early 70's rock bands tour and play their back catalogue, ie they are doing very little new..the baby boomers are a nostalgia market. The arguement that bands of today will be around doesnt hold as logically their initial audience is a lot smaller ( and with more leisure persuits : gaming etc to divert their attention ) Also, baby boomers stick to what they know, they dont investigate or dig deepinto the margins of todays music.

SO yes the bands of today will still be there in 30 years time, rocking away, but I would imagine playing to smaller nostalgic audiences.

mccaugm
18-Jan-08, 13:45
Your 3 year old son has impeccable taste, if i may say so mccaugm. [lol]

I agree....he sings along in the car which is priceless. :lol: His favourites I think must be "We will rock you", "Don't stop me now" and "Another one bites the dust".

orkneylass
18-Jan-08, 16:31
I think the scariest thing about seeing folk of a similar age to yourselg all wrinkly on the TV is thinking - crikey, I muct look like that when I'm still 33 inside! It was like when I went to a school reunion and walked into this room of middle aged women.........