PDA

View Full Version : Zero's Wick

ploo251
17-Jan-08, 21:14
I have noticed, when driving past, that Zero's Bar in Wick has been closed the last few nights and there are signs on the windows and doors. Does anyone know what is happening?

jinglejangle
17-Jan-08, 21:17
and what do the signs on the windows and doors say!

karia
17-Jan-08, 21:22
and what do the signs on the windows and doors say!

Perhaps (very sensibly) ploo doesn't drive and read posters at the same time!:roll:

Julia
17-Jan-08, 21:30
I did hear it was closing down, I was there in November and half the optics were empty.

If my personal experiences of zero's were anything to go on I am not surprised the place has closed down.

quiteone
17-Jan-08, 23:04
well iv heard the guy has done a runner leaving unpaid staff and unpaid bills all over!! its owned by bellhaven so it will be them thats closed the doors!! it was pretty crap the last while. wick needs some decent places to go out to especially for folk past their 20s that cana be bothered wi young idiots jus out to get as drunk as they can!! wick needs a venue for decent bands.............:confused:

scorrie
17-Jan-08, 23:08
The last time I was in there it was still called Sinclairs. There were a couple of young kiddies in there with a group of adults on that occasion. I noticed that the adults were at the bar very frequently and they were all on TRIPLE vodkas with Red Bull. I had a word with the barmaid about whether kids should be in the place at all but especially whilst being supervised by binge drinking adults. After getting the reply that there was nothing that could be done, I told her I was off and not coming back. Never been over the door since.

Snarfer
18-Jan-08, 20:23
Used to be a great pub in the days when it was Carters

spiggie
18-Jan-08, 21:25
I know!! bring back carters!! lets start a petition!!

ak1
18-Jan-08, 21:32
last time i was in got served very tastless vodka in a very plastic glass while getting very sore eyes from a overactive smoke machine!! yes never been same since Ed left back in the good old days!!!

northener
18-Jan-08, 21:40
Zero.........what an apt name.

What next? Skinters? Loosas? W I think I'll leave it there;).

Shame, really.

I hope it gets re-opened, but whoever takes it on is going to have their work cut out.

Hibeechick
19-Jan-08, 11:23
It was closed because the heating wasn't working.

Julia
19-Jan-08, 13:46
So a temporary closure only? That's a pity, on my last visit there I got nothing but the height of abuse from their barman (who was drunk) for posting something over a year ago on the org. I'll never set foot in that place again that's for sure!

cemmts
19-Jan-08, 14:06
Doubt it has anything to do with the heating that could be just one factor.

mums angels
19-Jan-08, 15:41
I know!! bring back carters!! lets start a petition!!

oh i used to love carters , stopped going out in wick when it changed :(

lasher
19-Jan-08, 19:29
The last time I was in there it was still called Sinclairs. There were a couple of young kiddies in there with a group of adults on that occasion. I noticed that the adults were at the bar very frequently and they were all on TRIPLE vodkas with Red Bull. I had a word with the barmaid about whether kids should be in the place at all but especially whilst being supervised by binge drinking adults. After getting the reply that there was nothing that could be done, I told her I was off and not coming back. Never been over the door since.
sounds like you was sticking your nose in someone elses business

sphinx
19-Jan-08, 19:36
i rember when ed cartrer had it and it woz one of the best pubs in the toon
:lol:

footie chick
19-Jan-08, 22:24
i rember when ed cartrer had it and it woz one of the best pubs in the toon
:lol:

Have to agree 100%

ploo251
20-Jan-08, 09:42
I did notice when passing that Zeros was closed during the week and then open on Friday night. However Saturday night, it was closed again. I believe there are more problems that just the heating at the moment.

scotsman1
20-Jan-08, 09:44
This place will never work up here unless someone can actualluy buy it back from Belhaven and run it exactly how it should be, not lease it for an enoumous yearly rent. The place went downhill after Ed sold it but has only really hit rockbottom after Belhaven bought it and leased it out to whoever at the time fancied themselves as a publican, but as the did'nt actually own it did'nt put the effort needed into it to make it a success. The best solution there now in order to make any money would be to turn it into a couple of houses or flats!

sweetpea
20-Jan-08, 10:04
Not surprised it's shut, worst pub I've ever been in, crap drink, and full of numpties and kids. What amazed me was that the staff weren't paid but still went in for shifts, what's that all about?

Cattach
20-Jan-08, 10:14
Perhaps (very sensibly) ploo doesn't drive and read posters at the same time!:roll:

If someone is that curious but cannot be bothered to get out of the car and check I'm damned if I would tell her!!

mandy&baz
20-Jan-08, 15:09
Nigel has done a runner leaving unpaid staff and alot of debt.....i thought he was actually going to do something with the place but he has run it back in the ground like the last owners

Gizmo
23-Jan-08, 20:30
The pub is back on the Belhaven website available for lease, you'll need a minimum of £14000 but that excludes Fixtures & Fittings & stock, with the reputation that the once fantastic pub has gained over the last few years only a fool would invest money in it, the Belhaven website paints quite a pretty little picture of it aswell.

http://www.belhavenpubs.co.uk/leasedpubs/pubs/286/

Giz

jambo
23-Jan-08, 23:47
i its reputation was getting bad were there not a stabbing there short ago.

cemmts
24-Jan-08, 14:46
"Comprising of a lounge bar & catering kitchen, with current food offer, this unique pub also has a beer garden and lessee accomodation."

Lol unique is the right word I guess.... Beer garden where is it on the roof ???

robbie_roost
24-Jan-08, 16:28
surly under the correct managment the yard would be a success?

henry20
24-Jan-08, 16:37
When a premises reputation is tarnished (especially by more than one attempt of running it) it becomes almost impossible to bring people back IMHO

One bad owner can be put down to bad running of the establishment, but a 2nd or 3rd ..... you have to wonder if it is just managerial skills that are lacking.

Also, with a bad reputation you have to have a lot of money that you are willing to risk losing in order to make the required improvements.

johnlc
24-Jan-08, 18:16
Bring Back Carters Totally.
Ye The Reason They Closed Was Because The Guy Was In Serious Debt He Cldnt Pay His Bills Or Staff,he Also Has To Get The Drink From Binends Because The Place Where They Got It From Before Wldnt Give It To Him Because He Was Never Paying For It And Left A Big Bill,so Now He Has Done A Runner.
Well Waterfront Will B Chuffed By This But Personally I Wont Be Going In There Not For £7 It Was Bad Enuf £5.

Xxxxxxxxxxxx:)

dirdyweeker
24-Jan-08, 18:19
"Comprising of a lounge bar & catering kitchen, with current food offer, this unique pub also has a beer garden and lessee accomodation."

Lol unique is the right word I guess.... Beer garden where is it on the roof ???

is the beer garden not the wooden caged area at the side? or is that the smoking room?

lasher
24-Jan-08, 18:27
Anyone know what will happen to the pool teams from zero's, if it is closed they won't have a venue?

youngmiller7
24-Jan-08, 19:15
callum out the camps said we can play our home games there until its open again

Gizmo
24-Jan-08, 20:10
When a premises reputation is tarnished (especially by more than one attempt of running it) it becomes almost impossible to bring people back IMHO

One bad owner can be put down to bad running of the establishment, but a 2nd or 3rd ..... you have to wonder if it is just managerial skills that are lacking.

It's not just bad management Decisions that have brought the downfall of Zeros, the previous lessee was being ripped off left right and center with 99% of the bar staff giving away free drink to friends/family, doubles for the price of a single etc, Rumour??....No!...i worked there and ashamedly was apart of it for a few months untill i realized i was stealing from my boss and friend, so i stopped it, others didnt, it was happening on a massive level, no business is going to survive that.

It stopped when the current Lessee took over in Sept 2006 and in the last quarter of 2006 the pub turned over £25000 more than expected for that quarter.....so it just goes to show what impact the free drink scam was having, i quit a year ago so have no idea of any other figures for turnover, but i do know that in the last few months of trading the old giving away/under charging of drink was happening again.

It's also down to other factors, the current lessee has a degree in economics and is no fool, but it was his first Pub and a lot of mistakes were made, as to be expected, but the Brewery give no support at all, they dont care as long as they get their rent each month, you are also tied to buying most of your stock from them, and it aint cheap, it's also a very expensive building to run, the monthly costs for lighting, heating, gas etc are huge, and people are just not going out during the week as much as they used to.

It's a shame whats happened to it, i remember a time when you had to be there by 8/9pm on a Sat night or you couldnt get a seat, but thats going back 15 years, it will never be like that again regardless of who runs it.

A lot of people keep going on about how good it was when Ed Carter built and owned it, but Tom Cook who bought it from him did a great job of running the place aswell, and when Tom built TC's Disco as an extension it was brilliant as it gave an option other then the Waterfront to end your night out, Belhaven should have left it as two seperate buildings.

Anyway...thats my thoughts/confessions

cemmts
24-Jan-08, 20:40
Yea the 2 areas was the best layout made the front bar much better

quiteone
24-Jan-08, 21:57
im sure itl be taken over soon and be better than it was!! couldna get much worse!!?? and people will go back this is wick wur talkin about and people will go jus to have a nose at it if nothing else.

TBH
24-Jan-08, 22:52
It's not just bad management Decisions that have brought the downfall of Zeros, the previous lessee was being ripped off left right and center with 99% of the bar staff giving away free drink to friends/family, doubles for the price of a single etc, Rumour??....No!...i worked there and ashamedly was apart of it for a few months untill i realized i was stealing from my boss and friend, so i stopped it, others didnt, it was happening on a massive level, no business is going to survive that.

It stopped when the current Lessee took over in Sept 2006 and in the last quarter of 2006 the pub turned over £25000 more than expected for that quarter.....so it just goes to show what impact the free drink scam was having, i quit a year ago so have no idea of any other figures for turnover, but i do know that in the last few months of trading the old giving away/under charging of drink was happening again.

It's also down to other factors, the current lessee has a degree in economics and is no fool, but it was his first Pub and a lot of mistakes were made, as to be expected, but the Brewery give no support at all, they dont care as long as they get their rent each month, you are also tied to buying most of your stock from them, and it aint cheap, it's also a very expensive building to run, the monthly costs for lighting, heating, gas etc are huge, and people are just not going out during the week as much as they used to.

It's a shame whats happened to it, i remember a time when you had to be there by 8/9pm on a Sat night or you couldnt get a seat, but thats going back 15 years, it will never be like that again regardless of who runs it.

A lot of people keep going on about how good it was when Ed Carter built and owned it, but Tom Cook who bought it from him did a great job of running the place aswell, and when Tom built TC's Disco as an extension it was brilliant as it gave an option other then the Waterfront to end your night out, Belhaven should have left it as two seperate buildings.

Anyway...thats my thoughts/confessionsDo you think there could be a fraud lawsuit coming? If this is true some staff members must be quaking.

catnip
24-Jan-08, 22:53
[quote=Gizmo;328782]
A lot of people keep going on about how good it was when Ed Carter built and owned it,

I went to the bar from the start, it was a great place it was what they said the place to be seen in. Tommy Cook did a great job as well keeping the reputation of the place.

I have watched the place go from bad to worse over the last few years. On Hogmany I was in there, it felt like I was baby sitting and not getting paid!

mandy&baz
31-Jan-08, 16:52
well am sure bellhaven will be extra cautious on who they select to take over zeroz this time considering the last lot that had the place just made it a pure shambles which is not only embarresing for the lessee but also for bellhaven so fingers crossed the next lot will make a better job!!!! but what sort of things could be done?? i say snacks served all night on a fri and sat night cause lets face it if u dinna like a greasy kebab or some fried rice ur nacked!!! cana beat a bag o chips or a burger!!! lol xxxx:lol:

mike.mckenzie
31-Jan-08, 18:28
I used to enjoy it there on the odd occasion I came up, it did make for a depressing sight when I went there this year. Not a soul in it and it looked like a badly maintained airport waiting room. It could easily be turned around that place, people want to go somewhere good on a night out. Bit of a refurbishment and split it the way it was and bob's yer uncle.

Gizmo
31-Jan-08, 18:37
well am sure bellhaven will be extra cautious on who they select to take over zeroz this time considering the last lot that had the place just made it a pure shambles which is not only embarresing for the lessee but also for bellhaven so fingers crossed the next lot will make a better job!!!! but what sort of things could be done?? i say snacks served all night on a fri and sat night cause lets face it if u dinna like a greasy kebab or some fried rice ur nacked!!! cana beat a bag o chips or a burger!!! lol xxxx:lol:

That was tried last year and never worked, they had chips and pies etc at the weekend but nobody really bought anything so it stopped, the only way that pub has any chance of making money is if they put it back to two buildings, that place has collosal overheads and also the plumbing,heating & electrics needs an overhaul, it's gonna cost someone a lot more than their initial 'Buy-In' money to get that bar back up to scratch.

People are also going out less during the week and also going out later at the weekends, for many people it's the last stop before the Waterfront....for a long time it never got anywhere near full till 11pm, and you cant make a living out of 2 really busy hours, without some serious cash and a major overhaul i think you can call 'Time' on Zeros as a profitable bar.

Whitewater
06-Feb-08, 16:57

I've had time on my hands and have been browsing some old threads when I came across the above (just part of the post).

Gizmo, I find this so called confession rather disgusting, you have the audacity to call yourself a friend of the previous leaseholder. My God, with friends like you who needs enemies. I used to visit Sinclairs for meals regularly, I found both the leaseholder and his wife (Simon & Sue) very pleasant and welcoming. Always had good food, all meat and fish bought locally. They had a young son as well, and were keen to make Wick their home. You and the rest of the staff are no doubt very proud of youselves, what despicable people you all are.

I hope that Simon, wherever he is, reads your post and I sincerely hope you all end up in court. I'm sure other employers in the town will take note of this so called confession and although they don't know you all by name, they, I hope will recognise you all and refuse you work of any kind. None of you are fit to be employed anywhere in any capacity.

WickLad08
18-Feb-08, 12:31
Is there any update about who is meant to be taking it over and when it is likely to re-open?

dessie
18-Feb-08, 12:40
my daughter was the chef there. and did not get paid evry week near the end.aqlso its up for lease again from belhaven.yes i think he did a runner not to sure...lol

WickLad08
20-Feb-08, 19:33
So I take it nobody has an update then?