PDA

View Full Version : Winter Food

Snarfer
17-Jan-08, 19:14
Packed with the cold so my wife made me homemade chicken and rice soup, it is the best ever and really good wholesome grub to have on these cold winter nights.
What are everybody elses winter food comforts??????

karia
17-Jan-08, 19:17
Pasta...loads of pasta!:)

unicorn
17-Jan-08, 19:20
I love chicken and rice soup with bread like doorsteps smothered in butter, and mince and mashed tatties with loads of butter in the tatties and some white pudding on the side mmmmm I really should be the size of a bus :lol:

Ash
17-Jan-08, 19:22
tatties and stew! roast dinners... love lamb just now

karia
17-Jan-08, 19:25
I love chicken and rice soup with bread like doorsteps smothered in butter :lol:

Ah unicorn..one of life's BIG questions there!

To butter and dunk or simply dunk....I am a no butter dunker!:lol:

(try saying that after a few drinks!)

unicorn
17-Jan-08, 19:30
oh no butter and dunk, I tend to need a bib for that though :lol:

Dadie
17-Jan-08, 19:48
depends on the soup chicken and rice = butter and dunk where as kidney soup is just dunk

unicorn
17-Jan-08, 19:49
never heard of kidney soup, hmmm not sure if I like that idea

Ash
17-Jan-08, 19:51
never heard of kidney soup, hmmm not sure if I like that idea

mm me either :confused

catnip
17-Jan-08, 19:51
Aye slurp the bree off the soup and put all the veg onto a slice of buttered bread, then another slice over that, squeeze to get remaining bree out and eat, over your plate like!!!!!!

Dadie
17-Jan-08, 19:53
its nicer than it sounds my mum makes it i think the kidneys are cooked in brandy with onions and grated carrot i have not made it myself as i keep forgetting to ask for the recipe (its a thin soup)

unicorn
17-Jan-08, 19:53
now that I have never tried :D less mess and more butter :lol:

karia
17-Jan-08, 20:09
Aye slurp the bree off the soup and put all the veg onto a slice of buttered bread, then another slice over that, squeeze to get remaining bree out and eat, over your plate like!!!!!!

That'd be a soft, damp, chopped veg sarnie.........you're not selling the idea to me!:eek:

paris
17-Jan-08, 20:17
Veg stew and dumplings in our house tonight with home made rice pud for pudding. jan x

Snarfer
17-Jan-08, 20:20
Tattie Soup sarnie mmmmmmmm not just veggies a bit o beef too.

Buttercup
17-Jan-08, 20:21
depends on the soup chicken and rice = butter and dunk where as kidney soup is just dunk

Kidney Soup Yuk! Brings back the vivid memory of a school cookery lesson, 12 girls all making it ~ the kitchen smelt just like a public lav http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_3_13.gif (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYAXGB) put me off kidney for life!
Remember Heinz used to make it too. (maybe they still do)

Anne x
17-Jan-08, 20:24
Packed with the cold so my wife made me homemade chicken and rice soup, it is the best ever and really good wholesome grub to have on these cold winter nights.
What are everybody elses winter food comforts??????

My ultimate comfort food Corn Beef Hash or Stovies harks back to childhood when something was wrong out it came

golach
17-Jan-08, 20:29
My ultimate comfort food Corn Beef Hash or Stovies harks back to childhood when something was wrong out it came
Comfort food for me is simple Mince and Tatties, Tattie or Lentil soup and Anne x now you have reminded me Sausage stovies

Sandra_B
17-Jan-08, 20:58
Lately I've been craving soups, leek and potato, scoth broth and good old tattie soup.

Highland Laddie
17-Jan-08, 21:06
A bowl of mince soup with clapshot to follow.

helenwyler
17-Jan-08, 22:01
Proper Irish stew with pearl barley and dumplings, or liver, onion gravy, potato and swede mash and peas:cool:.

Angela
17-Jan-08, 22:07
Proper Irish stew with pearl barley and dumplings, or liver, onion gravy, potato and swede mash and peas.

ewww, no Helen, not liver, no, no, no! :eek:

I like almost all soups and casseroles -chicken & rice soup is a comforting one dating from my childhood but leek & tattie's probably my favourite.

I do love stovies, yum! Recently I've been making a fish version -smoked haddock stovies - very tasty. :D

helenwyler
17-Jan-08, 22:14
ewww, no Helen, not liver, no, no, no! :eek:

Yes, yes, yes Angela!!!;) You must have had some horrid strong stuff maybe?...it's very delicate if you get the right kind. Horses for courses though!

golach
17-Jan-08, 22:18
I do love stovies, yum! Recently I've been making a fish version -smoked haddock stovies - very tasty. :D
Is that not really Cullen Skink Angela? Something I have not tried for many years now
I asked Mrs G, what she would consider winter comfort food, her reply "Ruddikin Tripe and onions"...........:eek:

Angela
17-Jan-08, 22:36
Is that not really Cullen Skink Angela? Something I have not tried for many years now
I asked Mrs G, what she would consider winter comfort food, her reply "Ruddikin Tripe and onions"...........:eek:

No, golach, Cullen Skink's a soup -this is a really substantial main course.
Tripe....oh dear no...that's even worse than liver!! :roll:

Snarfer
17-Jan-08, 22:38
Fish Soup and then rice'n'raisin for pudding

karia
17-Jan-08, 22:45
Horses for courses though!

Hi Helen,

Neigh neigh!

I think I'll skip the horse course and go straight for the cheese board!:lol:

miranda
17-Jan-08, 22:49
Pasta...loads of pasta!:)

gotta agree wi ya there karia ...yummy... with peppers and mushrooms mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:)

helenwyler
17-Jan-08, 22:49
Hi Helen,

Neigh neigh!

I was just thinking it should really be courses for horses, given this is a food thread:eek:.

Sporran
17-Jan-08, 23:06
Soups, stews, mince an' tatties are the fave winter comfort foods in this household.

Right at this very moment, I have a pot of Scotch Broth simmering away on the stove, in fact! :)

ciderally
17-Jan-08, 23:24
whatever anyone else makes...i love it

Big Jean
17-Jan-08, 23:28
Mince and tatties will do nicely, and for a second choice, gnocchi with bacon and leeks, parmesan cheese sprinkled on top .

Now I'm hungry, and not having either tonight . Hmmm

Margaret M.
17-Jan-08, 23:36
Soups, stews, mince an' tatties are the fave winter comfort foods in this household.

Sporran, are you surprised that mince and tatties is not a popular dish over here? Everyone I have fixed it for, loves it. If I'm going to eat it, I will fix it with Morningstar crumblies and the meat eaters still love it.

I love soups -- I made some today and watched the snow fizzle out and disappear.

golach
18-Jan-08, 01:24
Hi Helen,

Neigh neigh!

Nothing wrong with a bit of horse flesh, we at my age had to eat it during WW2, and today in France it is considered a delicacy :eek:

Anne x
18-Jan-08, 01:31
How ghastly I got it served in Belguim and very quickly threw up

golach
18-Jan-08, 01:36
got served a beautiful meal once in a place called Balikpapan in Indonesia, like a fool I enjoyed it so much I asked what it was........It was monkey........I threw up right away:(

Anne x
18-Jan-08, 01:40
gawd it gets worse !!! thought this topic was winter food for us to make us feel better Haggis Neeps and Tatties for me forget all that (being politically correct here !! ) Nice European and Overseas Food

Angela
18-Jan-08, 10:14
I make risotto a lot in winter as well -so filling and comforting...:D :D

anneoctober
19-Jan-08, 01:16
Homemade carrot soup. Liver & bacon - onion gravy wi plenty creamy mash and if I'm having a bad day a beeg plate o spag boll...............:D