PDA

View Full Version : Fireproofing

Tc4
17-Jan-08, 16:18
Hi Everyone.

Can i please ask for some advice.

My partners house has a ceiling which has a neighbours bedroom above it, the house is being renovated and we have been advised because there was a fire in house before that it may need to be fireproofed.

Can anyone advise on fireproofing a ceiling would double layer plasterboard do the job or would there have to be special fireproofing materials installed, before plasterboarding on top?

Cheers

Tc4

Mik.M.
17-Jan-08, 16:31
You can get fireproof plasterboard it`s called fireline and is pink in colour, the merchant in Thurso should stock it or be able to get it for you.

Ricco
17-Jan-08, 16:33
There is a product called Fireboard. It looks like plasterboard but is pink. It comes in 4 x 8 sheets, is ruddy heavy and is the recommended product. Most larger DIY stores stock it. Should be about £7 - 8 a sheet.

Tc4
17-Jan-08, 16:44
Cheers, much apprecated.

thebigman
17-Jan-08, 21:28
Even with Fireline you may need double layers with staggered joints.

Worth looking at sound proofing at the same time although not easy if you only have access from below.

ywindythesecond
17-Jan-08, 23:15
Hi Everyone.

Can i please ask for some advice.

My partners house has a ceiling which has a neighbours bedroom above it, the house is being renovated and we have been advised because there was a fire in house before that it may need to be fireproofed.

Can anyone advise on fireproofing a ceiling would double layer plasterboard do the job or would there have to be special fireproofing materials installed, before plasterboarding on top?

Cheers

Tc4

Not easy Tc 4. To be fire proof, it has to be fireproof from both sides and the framework carrying the fire proofing also has to be fire proof. If your partner uses fireproof boarding on her ceiling, it will reduce the chance of her fire getting into the neighbours house, but if he had a fire, the ceiling would fall in because the framwork above would burn and you get the fire anyway. Sorry.