PDA

View Full Version : Drivers in Watten

sms
17-Jan-08, 10:09
Lovely to see all the drivers going at 30mph today through the village of Watten. But its sad that it takes for 2 police officers to come out for you all to slow down. There is a school and the nursery takes place in the village Hall, cars go extremely fast (not today though) past the hall.

Cattach
17-Jan-08, 10:14
Lovely to see all the drivers going at 30mph today through the village of Watten. But its sad that it takes for 2 police officers to come out for you all to slow down. There is a school and the nursery takes place in the village Hall, cars go extremely fast (not today though) past the hall.

Unfortunately it is happening everywhere. Murder around the Thurso schools. Also sad that the police officers are out so little. They are happy to sit on the Mound Strait where there has not been an accident in over 20 years but not around the towns to sort out the most annoying and dangerous speeders.

Thumper
17-Jan-08, 10:20
It certainly does happen all the time at every school,I hate it when I see them all driving slowly and carefully when the police are there,cos you know the next day they will be back to driving like maniacs!There is a certain lorry that passes our school everyday and NEVER slows down,how he hasnt been caught I will never know :roll: x

TBH
17-Jan-08, 11:04
With the current speed limits, is there any need for cars that can accelerate to 140mph or more? They should have speed bumps along the road past schools and suchlike. Would they speed then?

gary.b
17-Jan-08, 12:09
Unfortunately it is happening everywhere. Murder around the Thurso schools. Also sad that the police officers are out so little. They are happy to sit on the Mound Strait where there has not been an accident in over 20 years but not around the towns to sort out the most annoying and dangerous speeders.

I came across a car on it's roof at the bottom of the Mound Straight early one morning last summer.

Geo
17-Jan-08, 13:06
Living close to Watten and driving through it quite often I find most people stick at or below the speed limit.

Riffman
17-Jan-08, 14:06
I don't see many people speeding through watten, coming in from the wick side the bridge slows them down, but sometimes from the thurso side they can be a bit slow in getting to 30.

Dadie
17-Jan-08, 14:46
I stick to the 30mph in Watten and at school and playschool and mother and toddler going in or out times I tend to go slower than 30mph

Bobinovich
17-Jan-08, 15:01
As a newbie driver (at the time) my first speeding ticket was coming into Watten from the Thurso side :(. It's always one place I'll never forget to slow down for now!

Only one other since :roll:

ashaw1
17-Jan-08, 15:54
I thought the same thing the other day while collecting my son from school in Wick. The markings obviously indicate you are not to park directly outside the gate where the school busses park but some people seem to think it is infact a parking space reserved especially for them. Not the following day though when the school took drastic action and called in the services of the local parking attendant! The following day back to normal!

Valerie Campbell
17-Jan-08, 16:28
It's because the road is so straight. Maybe they need to put traffic calming measuers in place.

grumpyhippo
17-Jan-08, 16:58
Murder around the Thurso schools.

I once stopped to speak to a PC near Millar Academy (they do get out on foot occasionally), shortly after the 20 mph limits were posted, and was told that when they were out and about with the speed gun near schools it was invariably mainly teachers they stopped.

On reflection I can't say I really blame them.If I were teaching I just might be tempted to 'take out' one or two of the little darlings on my way to work!!!:lol::lol:

Phoenix200416
17-Jan-08, 17:06
On reflection I can't say I really blame them.If I were teaching I just might be tempted to 'take out' one or two of the little darlings on my way to work!!!

:lol::lol:

northener
17-Jan-08, 21:29
The markings obviously indicate you are not to park directly outside the gate where the school busses park but some people seem to think it is infact a parking space reserved especially for them.

The zig zag area is 'keep clear - NO exceptions', the buses are actually parking illegally!:eek:

I know that outside Wick High Skool there isn't anywhere else physically big enough to park the buses whilst waiting, BUT, the zig zags are there to give students a clear vision when they cross the road. I've lost count of how many times the kids have stepped out in front of me from in beteween the buses - without looking...

skinnydog
17-Jan-08, 21:39
Lets get the speed cameras outside the schools where they will save lives.
Stop all the nutters thrashing past the Miller in Thurso every day.

JAWS
17-Jan-08, 23:11
Don't they teach children the "Kerb Drill" any more? Caithness drivers may not be the best in the world but they are a darned sight better than most places I have driven and are far more patient and considerate.

I can't say I have noticed any driving particularly fast through Watten or in most of the other built-up areas in the County. I certainly have never felt I was "taking my life in my hands" crossing a road here as I have in most other places I've been. In fact, in some other places I would swear the actually aim for you.

You really don't know how lucky you are here when it comes to traffic problems.

Green_not_greed
17-Jan-08, 23:28
Lets get the speed cameras outside the schools where they will save lives.
Stop all the nutters thrashing past the Miller in Thurso every day.

I completely agree - thats where speed cameras should be.

Spare a thought for schools in villages which have 40mph speed limits and not 30mph - its even worse.....

GNG

Karen
17-Jan-08, 23:51
The speed limit passing Crossroads school is still 60 miles per hour! Still waiting for the 20 limit to be applied, apparently it is easier to change from 30 to 20 than from 60, madness!

fatmaggie9
18-Jan-08, 12:33
Speeding in towns - worst offenders are Mums taking/dropping off kids at school then flying off to do quick shop etc!!
Ormlie Hill & Janet Street, Thurso are great places to observe this!

Cattach
18-Jan-08, 15:07
Don't they teach children the "Kerb Drill" any more? Caithness drivers may not be the best in the world but they are a darned sight better than most places I have driven and are far more patient and considerate.

I can't say I have noticed any driving particularly fast through Watten or in most of the other built-up areas in the County. I certainly have never felt I was "taking my life in my hands" crossing a road here as I have in most other places I've been. In fact, in some other places I would swear the actually aim for you.

You really don't know how lucky you are here when it comes to traffic problems.

First stop for you should be Vision Express - take care crossing the road!!

Cattach
18-Jan-08, 15:43
Speeding in towns - worst offenders are Mums taking/dropping off kids at school then flying off to do quick shop etc!!
Ormlie Hill & Janet Street, Thurso are great places to observe this!

How right you are.