PDA

View Full Version : Urgent! Injured Bird!

ashaw1
16-Jan-08, 17:07
I really need some urgent information. A small garden bird has just flown into my patio door and injured itself. It doesn't look too bad, it seems to have damaged it's wing, keeps closing one of its eyes and i am worried about it's heavy breathing! What do i do with it, didn't know if i should contact the local vet which i can't find the number for. Thought there might be some kind of local group i could contact. Help!

Ricco
16-Jan-08, 17:09
I really need some urgent information. A small garden bird has just flown into my patio door and injured itself. It doesn't look too bad, it seems to have dameged it's wing, keeps closing one of its eyes and i am worried about it's heavy breathing! What do i do with it, didn't know if i should contact the local vet which i can't find the number for. Thought there might be some kind of local group i could contact. Help!

Depends on how bad it is - it may have died by now???

The best thing to do is to immediately keep it warm (body temp) and use a dropper or cotton bud to put drops of water next to its bill so that it can drink if it wants. I have had two such birds (no, sorry, it was three) survive the period of shock and fly away.

davem
16-Jan-08, 17:33
01847 892 387
the vet in thurso certainly had a surgery in wick

Riffman
16-Jan-08, 17:47
Get a cat?

Moira
16-Jan-08, 17:53
The number for the Wick Vets' surgery is 01955 602088.

Sorry I can't offer any advice. We've had similar problems here but usually the "stunned" bird manages to fly away after it has recovered its' breath. Good luck.

karia
16-Jan-08, 18:02
They can seem much more injured than they are because of the heavy breathing due to shock...best to keep it warm with a towel and leave it for a wee bit to recover and see if it manages to fly off by itself!

My dad had one that took a good few hours to recover but then flew off happily.:D

Let us know how things go...and what kind of bird it is!

Good Luck!

thebigman
16-Jan-08, 19:44
Give the SSPCA at Balmore a call, they have volunteers who deal with this sort of thing.

unicorn
16-Jan-08, 20:14
normally they are just stunned and placing them somewhere warm and dark (shoebox) brings them round ok

Ricco
16-Jan-08, 20:41
We had a Goldfinch strike a window two summers ago. I sat in a chair in the garden with the finch in my hands, keeping it warm and giving it water occasionally. Its mate stayed around whistling in the trees for about an hour until the one I had recovered sufficiently to fly up into the tree where it stayed for about another hour; then they both flew off.

kriklah
16-Jan-08, 23:40
we have some large windows that frequently get bird strikes. often see the wee bird sat looking stunned for a bit before flying off, i usually try to keep an eye on it till its ok or my cats will go find them. the worst strike we had a few years ago involved 2 loud bangs which i went to check up on. lying toes up on the patio was a sparrow and what may have been a sparrow hawk(are they common up here?) or a small buzzard. i went out to them to find wee sparrow obviously dead , but the leg still twitching on the hawk. i was about to go out on a quick school run so picked it up and popped it on a towel in the bath and shut the door, figureing if it revived it would be safer in there, and i could call someone when i got home. got back from school to find it un-moved and cold, lifted it again but this time it was obvious the neck was broken, so was dead before i got to it in the first place, pity really, lovely looking bird. i guess the sparrow decided it didnt stand a chance, so commited a suicide/murder :confused

Ricco
17-Jan-08, 08:33
we have some large windows that frequently get bird strikes.

Ah, now.... this is what bothers me about the argument against wind farms - bird strikes. Many more birds are killed by collisions with windows than by wind turbine blades. Perhaps we should all be starting by bricking up our windows to reduce the bird strikes. This will have the added advantage of reducing heat loss and therefore will result in a reduction in demand for energy.... which will lead on to, of course, no need for so many wind farms. Ta daa! :D

Mik.M.
17-Jan-08, 09:22
Brilliant , Ricco solves the energy crisis and saves birdies and deals with the windfarm question too. Hooray for Ricco.

ashaw1
17-Jan-08, 19:03
Just to let you know that after keeping the bird in a pet carrier in a dark room for a while it made a full recovery! Flew over the neighbours fence and sat for a while. No sign of it today so hopefully all is well. Thanks for all your help.

unicorn
17-Jan-08, 19:04
good to see people taking the time to help those wee creatures less fortunate than us :D

_Ju_
17-Jan-08, 19:40
In Denmark they put stickers on the windows so that the birds can see that something is there. These are often the shadowed shape of a swallow in flight and quite pleasing to they eye. The Danish swear by them. All the bus stops have them as well.

highlander
17-Jan-08, 20:03
The have various stickers to buy from here
http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/rspb/R0202/81756

unicorn
17-Jan-08, 20:07
they had stickers on our patio door on holiday in spain but it didn't stop me walking into them :lol: that moment still has the power to make hubby and daughter cry laughing :lol: