PDA

View Full Version : seal....

elamanya
16-Jan-08, 16:10
spotted a seal this morning up the river near the second footbridge he was lying on the bank and slipped into the water when he saw me coming,watched for a while but he never showed again, is it normal for them to be that far from the sea..

paris
16-Jan-08, 16:15
I'm in Lincolnshire with a river at the bottom of our garden. The docks are about 5 Min's away from our house and we quite often see seals in the river. Apparently they swim through the sluice gate when they open them to let the excess water out to sea. jan x

JamesMcVean
16-Jan-08, 16:24
We saw two seals down by the tourist info place yesterday...then a bit farther upriver between the road and footbridge we saw FOUR OTTERS!! Two adult and two young...swimming and playing in the river...They crossed and headed towards the boating pond...It was quite good for my wee lassie (5) to see them!
Also saw two cormorants in the boating pond, one appeared with a wee fish in its mouth too...

It was kinda a wildlife day LOL

Reminds me of a day we drove south, and seen a fox on the wall near Dunbeath, then two Stags rutting, followed by a fawn at the side of the road and a bird of prey on a fencepost !!!

You just have to SLOW down and observe :D

elamanya
16-Jan-08, 16:31
i theres a few foxes in dunbeath

Tugmistress
16-Jan-08, 16:32
spotted a seal this morning up the river near the second footbridge he was lying on the bank and slipped into the water when he saw me coming,watched for a while but he never showed again, is it normal for them to be that far from the sea..

Yes its quite normal, they don't have to be in salt water. There have been records of seals up to about 30 miles inland.

elamanya
16-Jan-08, 16:36
ok cheers for that tugmistress, do they feed on fish in the rivers i imagine they must

Tugmistress
16-Jan-08, 16:40
yes they do, especially salmon and trout!

rhino
16-Jan-08, 17:00
theres a seal in the harbour that communicates with my dog every night
on our nightly stroll the pair of them whine to each other.

its so funny

scotsboy
16-Jan-08, 17:47
But we're never gonna survive unless
We get a little crazy

dirdyweeker
16-Jan-08, 19:46
I believe the seal in Wick harbour is known by the locals as George. He comes right in to the inner harbour. Have also seen otters at the 'islands' up Wick River, the ones below the cannon.