PDA

View Full Version : Why Do We Hoard So Much Junk ?

catnip
16-Jan-08, 15:52
In my revious thread I was asking for help about knocking down built in wardrobes, well I started to clear them out today. Why do we keep so much stuff that we will never use and could be recycled.
Any body else like our house thinking, Oh that could come in handy I will hang onto it !

Saveman
16-Jan-08, 16:00
Guilty as charged :o

candyfloss
16-Jan-08, 16:12
Me too :o
But today i had a clear out in the kids bedroom and got rid of all the toys with bits missing and things they never play with anymore and now i feel much better :D

paris
16-Jan-08, 16:20
Our used to be like that, hording everything and anything but every time we move if its been in our attic for the period of time we've been in a house and not used, it gets taken to the charity shops. Hubby is worse than me for hording in his shed and garage so when he goes out for the day ( not very often ) i have a good old route about to see what i can dump ! janx

honey
16-Jan-08, 16:36
yep, my mother in law takes the mickey out of me cause i keep all sorts of "keepsakes"

after having my 2nd son on the bathroom floor, she joked that id be wanting to keep the crapet instead of throwing it out! :lol:

Buttercup
16-Jan-08, 16:37
Very guilty I'm afraid http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_13_6.gif (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYAXGB)
Certainly don't need loft insulation ~ there's that much up there, there's no room for draughts! [lol]

cuddlepop
16-Jan-08, 16:45
Oh isn't allowed to through my stuff out or me his.
You cant move for junk in the shed,loft or the spare bedroom.:lol:

rhino
16-Jan-08, 16:50
we got rid of most of our junk, before we moved up here, and already in 1 year we have gathered a van load again.

some of it still in its moving box from last year!!!

visiting charity shops and south school having a january sale, so they can raise funds with the profits.

hell raizer
16-Jan-08, 17:01
im guilty to, it's a wonder our ceiling has'nt come down around my lugs. i always say it might come in handy some day.:roll:

kriklah
16-Jan-08, 17:01
yep, also guilty, been going though the house this week getting rid of loads of stuff, putting other "oh that will be handy someday" stuff into the attic spaces, only to clear more out of them!!!!! some of the stuff in the attic has moved house with us 3 times, only to go straight into the new attic!!!!!!!!:roll:

floyed
16-Jan-08, 17:36
I put all my keep sakes in a box, its starting to overflow now so will have to sort it out. I also have one for my son.

The rest of the house is junk free, thanks to ebay lol!!!:lol:

sweetpea
16-Jan-08, 17:39
I used to hoard everything but having lost all my possessions once it certainly made me look at things differently. Now I hardly keep anything unless it's something I really need or want. I'm quite ruthless with everything I have now, to me it's just 'stuff'.

riggerboy
16-Jan-08, 17:40
i have a 8 x 4 trailer, and over the festive period have managed to get rid of 7 very full loads to the recycling place at the airport, i think most of it came from the attic after i had clear out to do a conversion, well between the attic, the shed and all the cupboards, have sworn not to to keep anything longer than 6 months from now on,
i hate to throw things out, keep telling myself it may come in handy, lol

BRIE
16-Jan-08, 17:40
i admit it im a horder!! hope my other half doesnt read this!
I have tryed to get rid of everything, I started will all the kids toys that they no longer play with then decided they were to good to get rid off so put them all in the loft!:lol:

Sporran
16-Jan-08, 18:33
Perhaps we're all a bunch of syllogomaniacs! ;)

Although I don't feel quite as bad now, after reading about the woman in a case study mentioned here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsive_hoarding (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsive_hoarding)

Snarfer
16-Jan-08, 21:13
There is that much stuff in our loft I'm a wee bit concerned as to wether the roof will cave in one day.

coastown
16-Jan-08, 21:32
I am also a hoarder, I will blast all the cupboards in the house and then think that might do so and so, oh maybe that will come in handy for this and that end result nice tidy cupboards, and room for EVEN more junk. :lol:

bobandag16
16-Jan-08, 23:06
In my revious thread I was asking for help about knocking down built in wardrobes, well I started to clear them out today. Why do we keep so much stuff that we will never use and could be recycled.
Any body else like our house thinking, Oh that could come in handy I will hang onto it !
i have just moved after 47 years in a 3 bedroom house. to a single bedroom. every thing i had would come in handy one day. today i cannot find my scissors curved for nose hair. so sad .

Thumper
16-Jan-08, 23:12
I used to be a hoarder but now I bin everything...and usually find a need for it a few days later :roll: But on the plus side it gives me more room for shoes ;) x

mccaugm
16-Jan-08, 23:50
I am a reverse hoarder. :roll: I love to clear out rooms and bin/recycle/put to charity anything I feel I or my family no longer have need for.

I went to my mates house a few weeks ago, she jokingly said if I liked clearing rooms that I should do her daughters room...yup you guessed it I cleared it. 2 black bags chucked out/recycled etc Sense of euphoria afterwards. I know this is a wierd part of my personality but hey I love it.

To my hubbies relief I am a little freaked out about ladders and lofts so I have not got there yet. But if I do....look out....![lol]

robynaus
17-Jan-08, 00:38
My theory is the "stuff" expands to fill the available space and if I get rid of it I'll just have to buy more!!!!
robynaus

karia
17-Jan-08, 00:53
We 'rate' ourselves by what we 'own' these days..sadly!:confused

Margaret M.
17-Jan-08, 01:04
I am so not a hoarder -- I cannot stand clutter anywhere.

karia
17-Jan-08, 01:09
When my 'now husband ' moved in in 1994 he brought his house...

.it's still in the back bedroom!;)

trix
17-Jan-08, 01:16
iv choost got a little wee hoosey, luvly as is it, well cosy lek...but am just too BEEG for it.....:eek:

there just simply isna enuf room for all ma stuff...and me!

iv got books crawlin up ma walls cos im no room for anither bookcase...

mmmh catnip, think i may weel be overdue a clear oot...anyone want aboot 200 books????? :lol:

karia
17-Jan-08, 01:25
Books are 'mini experiences' and should be passed on and enjoyed by as many people as possible.:)

trix
17-Jan-08, 01:38
Books are 'mini experiences' and should be passed on and enjoyed by as many people as possible.

hi Ak,

i agree, an at's how iv got so many...! they are takin oer e' hoose :eek:

i refuse til ditch them an cana (wilna) pass them on til iv read them....but am getin them faster than i can read them....

rest assured tho, when ive read them am sure catnip an floyed will only too happy til take them off ma hands (walls)- no forgettin miranda...:Razz

wonder what they will think o e' time traveller....s'wierd eh? - (kiss)

Anne x
17-Jan-08, 14:33
our Junk mostly belongs to offspring School stuff year books etc then a collection of books she needed in her college course which she was told to sell on to the next intake once she had finished with them to simple !!! to ever be done
ah yes also a collection of teddy bears dolls prams and a rocking horse old school photographs the list is endless I am always asking when she is going to look through them take away what she wants and put the rest to charity I will do next time Im home is the answer that was 8 years ago !!!

floyed
17-Jan-08, 15:59
i have just moved after 47 years in a 3 bedroom house. to a single bedroom. every thing i had would come in handy one day. today i cannot find my scissors curved for nose hair. so sad .

eeuuuwwww:lol:

floyed
17-Jan-08, 16:02
hi Ak,

i refuse til ditch them an cana (wilna) pass them on til iv read them....but am getin them faster than i can read them....

rest assured tho, when ive read them am sure catnip an floyed will only too happy til take them off ma hands (walls)- no forgettin miranda...:Razz

Certainly will have'nt had a good read in a long time, i had a good clear out o ma books last year and passed them to trix.

miranda
17-Jan-08, 23:25
hi Ak,

cheers trix will return the ones i hev so ye hev less space til hoover and gi ye a few o mine til prop ye up lol(ye no what a mean)lol

trix
17-Jan-08, 23:52
cheers trix will return the ones i hev so ye hev less space til hoover and gi ye a few o mine til prop ye up lol(ye no what a mean)lol

cheers miranda, and choost so ye ken, there wis only one person in e' beid when it broke....an at' wis ME...! :lol:

i forgot til say guys, no only is e books 'crawlin up ma wall' they is also howldin up ma beid [lol]

Lolabelle
17-Jan-08, 23:58
We moved from a 3 bed with formal dining, lounge and family room, to a 1 bed, 4 rooms in total. :eek:

7 years later I am still trying to be ruthless and get rid of the clutter.

I'm nearly there, and we hope to move this year to a bigger house!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhh!!!!!:confused

robynaus
18-Jan-08, 00:47
Books are 'mini experiences' and should be passed on and enjoyed by as many people as possible.:)

High Karia
Books don't count you have to have them. full of interesting things or stories just share them around as you finish them Oh yes and keep the craft non fiction think i"ve got nearly as many as the library now.
regards robyn