PDA

View Full Version : Help please......This is driving me nuts!!!!

simpsoney
16-Jan-08, 14:15
Any help or advice gratefully accepted.

We have a two year old Siberian Husky (along with two other dogs) who is driving me crazy at the moment. My fiance works offshore and she is more attached to him than me. So when he goes to work offshore (which can be for periods around a month to 6 weeks) during the night she cannot go more than two - three hours without needing out to the toilet. During the day she can go for upto six hours without needing out. This only happens when he goes offshore. When he is home she is fine and never needs out during the night. Can anyone suggest anything?

Liz
16-Jan-08, 14:23
I would suggest a DAP (dog appeasing pheromones) diffuser.You can get it from www.vetuk.co.uk

You just plug it in like an air freshener and it releases pheromones which calm the dog and can help with problems like this.

It would also be worth putting an item of your fiance's clothing in her bed so she can get his scent and this should help.

Good luck!

simpsoney
16-Jan-08, 14:35
Have you tried one of these or do you know anyone who has? I might try this.

The peice of clothing thing dosen't really work because they sleep in the living room + kitchen (usually on the couch!). She has no other symptoms at all just this wanting out to the toilet all the time!

I have a one year old girl who from day one has had me up during the night less times than the dog has!! Isnt it supposed to be the other way round??

Liz
16-Jan-08, 14:51
I haven't tried this as haven't needed to.
Have you had her checked by the Vets just in case she has something wrong with her bladder?
You could put an item of your fiances clothing on the couch where she sleeps at night?

The DAP diffuser would be well worth a try though as we have had great success with Feliway (which is the feline equivalent)on cats with behavioural problems.
It sounds like she has some kind of separation anxiety and it may be worth working on this when your fiance comes home.

ciderally
16-Jan-08, 14:58
does your fella take her out more when he is home? only saying that as i had the same prob....now if he gets a long walk he will sleep all night..if not hes up at 3am without fail and thats even though he has been out to do his toilet before bed

Liz
16-Jan-08, 15:16
does your fella take her out more when he is home? only saying that as i had the same prob....now if he gets a long walk he will sleep all night..if not hes up at 3am without fail and thats even though he has been out to do his toilet before bed

Good idea! I was going to suggest this but forgot!

cuddlepop
16-Jan-08, 15:31
It sounds like your dog has developed two routine's.Is it possible to do exactly the same night time routine your partner does?.If that fails I'm tempted to say your being wound up.Dog's are like kids given half the chance they're very manipulative.

Good luck.:)

porshiepoo
16-Jan-08, 18:26
Any help or advice gratefully accepted.

We have a two year old Siberian Husky (along with two other dogs) who is driving me crazy at the moment. My fiance works offshore and she is more attached to him than me. So when he goes to work offshore (which can be for periods around a month to 6 weeks) during the night she cannot go more than two - three hours without needing out to the toilet. During the day she can go for upto six hours without needing out. This only happens when he goes offshore. When he is home she is fine and never needs out during the night. Can anyone suggest anything?

It's easy to believe that your dog is more attached to one than the other but it won't be in the sense that you or I imagine.
Your dog may pick up your anxiety when your hubby is away and then you interpret her reaction to this as restlessness due to hubby being away.
Don't get me wrong your dog will know that the dynamic of the pack has altered but it won't be because she loves him more, it's just that during his times away she feels your anxious energy.
2 -3 hours isn't an extrordinarily short amount of time - when you've gotta go, you've gotta go :lol: and she probably settles better at night because you probably settle better at night. Does any of that make sense?????

simpsoney
17-Jan-08, 14:54
[QUOTE=ciderally;324510]does your fella take her out more when he is home?
She gets the same amount of regular exercise whether he is home or away. Nothing changes accept he is not there.

I know she is taking the mick but its how i go about solving it without having to clean the carpet every morning before the bairn gets up! I dont mind letting her out the first time (which is about midnight) as this is usually when he lets them out before bed but when it is then again at 2 and usually then again at 4 it takes its toll.

Liz
17-Jan-08, 14:59
The DAP diffuser would be worth a try.
You may only need to use it for about a month and, if it is going to work, then you should see results quite quickly.
The other thing you could try is some Rescue Remedy (you can get this from most chemists)in her drinking water. This won't hurt the other dogs.

Dadie
17-Jan-08, 15:00
does he feed her and fuss over her more when he is at home it might be worth him ignoring her and you taking over the feeding and fussing and make her more of your dog which might help settle her while he is away

ciderally
18-Jan-08, 18:45
how you getting on? has anything worked....xx

Phoenix200416
18-Jan-08, 19:51
how you getting on? has anything worked....xx

You beat me to it Cinderally! I was going to ask the same question. :lol:

simpsoney
19-Jan-08, 00:37
Well last night she wanted out at midnight so i let her out and then shut her in the kitchen with one of OH's tops and she howled to get out once but i ignored her and i never heard anything from her the rest of the night!Also there was no mess to clean up in the morning. I feel sorry for shutting her in kitchen if she is unsettled but from previous experience if i feel sorry for her and let them upstairs to sleep then she will just pee on the carpet at top of stairs and not even ask to get out! So i cant win.

Will keep going with this and see how we get on.

justine
19-Jan-08, 16:40
Well last night she wanted out at midnight so i let her out and then shut her in the kitchen with one of OH's tops and she howled to get out once but i ignored her and i never heard anything from her the rest of the night!Also there was no mess to clean up in the morning. I feel sorry for shutting her in kitchen if she is unsettled but from previous experience if i feel sorry for her and let them upstairs to sleep then she will just pee on the carpet at top of stairs and not even ask to get out! So i cant win.

Will keep going with this and see how we get on.

Watch cesar milan the dog whisperer on sky three 6pm. Or get his book cears way. will help you with your dog by opening up your mind to the naturaql needs of dogs, not what we think they need.....People who treat dogs like humans need to get sorted, all they do is make for a confused unhappy dog...This the best help you can get..Watch and learn...

simpsoney
20-Jan-08, 23:21
Thanks Justine. I am glued all the time cesar is on for any hints and tips. I have tried out a few of his other techniques with some sucess. He is great. A more natural way of thinking towards animals.

Cheers for all your advice. She now only wants out once around midnight, which i can cope with for the moment. But hopefully we can get her back to a normal routine soon.

justine
20-Jan-08, 23:32
Thanks Justine. I am glued all the time cesar is on for any hints and tips. I have tried out a few of his other techniques with some sucess. He is great. A more natural way of thinking towards animals.

Cheers for all your advice. She now only wants out once around midnight, which i can cope with for the moment. But hopefully we can get her back to a normal routine soon.
your welcome. I think he has a magical way with the dogs.He understands every need they have which is only three.
Exercise, Discipline, Affection. In that order.The rest then will follow.If all dogs recieved these in that order they would have more balanced dogs. My bingo is living proof...I am proud of what i have achieved with him in the 8mnths i have been using cesars way.....Everyone with a dog should watch or read it....

Phoenix200416
21-Jan-08, 13:43
your welcome. I think he has a magical way with the dogs.He understands every need they have which is only three.
Exercise, Discipline, Affection. In that order.The rest then will follow.If all dogs recieved these in that order they would have more balanced dogs. My bingo is living proof...I am proud of what i have achieved with him in the 8mnths i have been using cesars way.....Everyone with a dog should watch or read it....

I have to agree. I'm still waiting for my book. :( But keeping him to a routine of walking him in the morning and at night before I feed him and discipline and then affection he's starting to understand the boundries and pay attention to me more. Still have ways to go though!

justine
21-Jan-08, 15:13
I have to agree. I'm still waiting for my book. :( But keeping him to a routine of walking him in the morning and at night before I feed him and discipline and then affection he's starting to understand the boundries and pay attention to me more. Still have ways to go though!

i am so glad that it is working with him. You have such a wonderful dog with milo and i know you will achieve what you both need. Hope your dad is helping....you may feel you have a ways to go but once it registers with him what you are asking of him it will be so easy.Then it is just keeping up your end of the bargain.Exercise, Discipline, affection you will reap the rewards from him.I promise you of that or should i say cesar does...

Phoenix200416
21-Jan-08, 17:07
i am so glad that it is working with him. You have such a wonderful dog with milo and i know you will achieve what you both need. Hope your dad is helping....you may feel you have a ways to go but once it registers with him what you are asking of him it will be so easy.Then it is just keeping up your end of the bargain.Exercise, Discipline, affection you will reap the rewards from him.I promise you of that or should i say cesar does...

Well Dad brought a friend round friday night and Milo stayed lying down. I was stroking him but I wasn't holding him down. The person sat next to me on the sofa and he tried to smell them, but he didn't try and get up so we have achieved something. I never thought it would have been possible. Normally I would have been hanging onto his collar for dear life and trying to drag him out of the room!

I still have to get it through to my Dad not to speak or look at him. It's like we have swapped personalities! He was petting him and talking to him the other night and Milo was leaping around like a loony! I told Dad not to speak to him or stroke him until he was sitting calmly. Then Dad started staring at Milo trying to make Milo look away first. Which he said was showing Milo that he was boss. Then I pointed out that I was supposed to be the boss and staring at him is threatening...:eek: