PDA

View Full Version : whales

dandod
15-Jan-08, 16:57
looks like japan are at it again,culling whales not just 1 or even 10 or even 100 but 900 minke whales and 50 fin whales. they say it is for "scientific research" but is'nt it convenient that a loophole in the international whaling commission rules but it is just a front for commercial whaling and there is a demand for whale meat in japan. how can people in power turn a blind eye and play dumb when it suits them. shame on them all.

quirbal
15-Jan-08, 18:02
Yes, I agree.

Kenn
15-Jan-08, 23:33
Like you I too am infuriated that the japanese keep coming up with their scientific research excuse.
Cetaceans are protected under international law as and such NO person or nation should be allowed to hunt them for any reason.

Liz
15-Jan-08, 23:59
This is atrocious!:(

What on earth can be done to stop them?!

ciderally
16-Jan-08, 14:41
the two lads that jumped onto the whaler ship should be given a medal...
the japs are calling them pirates....

dook
18-Jan-08, 13:44
looks like japan are at it again,culling whales not just 1 or even 10 or even 100 but 900 minke whales and 50 fin whales. they say it is for "scientific research" but is'nt it convenient that a loophole in the international whaling commission rules but it is just a front for commercial whaling and there is a demand for whale meat in japan. how can people in power turn a blind eye and play dumb when it suits them. shame on them all.

Going to sound controversial here but the Minke whales are a sustainable resource. When the ban on whaling came in it was an attempt to prevent the extinction of the "Great Whales". However, it wasn't properly thought out. The Minkes over ran the "Great Whale" niche and flourished. The other whales are now unable to get a foothold so continue to face extinction. To save threatened species, management is required. It must be planned correctly and not just a knee jerk reaction.

dandod
18-Jan-08, 15:54
Going to sound controversial here but the Minke whales are a sustainable resource. When the ban on whaling came in it was an attempt to prevent the extinction of the "Great Whales". However, it wasn't properly thought out. The Minkes over ran the "Great Whale" niche and flourished. The other whales are now unable to get a foothold so continue to face extinction. To save threatened species, management is required. It must be planned correctly and not just a knee jerk reaction.

sustainable resource or not there is no excuse for this mass murder.fin whales and minke whales are on the red list of the International Union for the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources which basically means they are an endangered species.i personally do not think is is sustainable to kill off endangered species.these "fishermen" who are hunting these whales should personally face prosecution and japans government as a whole should also face legal action.

dook
18-Jan-08, 16:57
sustainable resource or not there is no excuse for this mass murder.fin whales and minke whales are on the red list of the International Union for the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources which basically means they are an endangered species.i personally do not think is is sustainable to kill off endangered species.these "fishermen" who are hunting these whales should personally face prosecution and japans government as a whole should also face legal action.

Just Japan? Google "Pilot Whales" and "Faroe Islands" for our close neighbours treatment of cetaceans.....now that's mass murder.

dandod
18-Jan-08, 17:13
japan,faroe islands does not matter wher it takes place its the fact that its taking place at all. lets notbforget it was only a couple of months ago japan was hunting and killing hundreds of dolphins aswell.i see not humane reason for any of this japan does not rely on whale and dolphin meat to survive. what possible scientific reaserch involves the killing of hundreds of whales. there is no scientific reserch or purpose. the only reason they kill them is to feed their sick appetites whale and dolpin meat.

dook
18-Jan-08, 17:38
japan,faroe islands does not matter wher it takes place its the fact that its taking place at all. lets notbforget it was only a couple of months ago japan was hunting and killing hundreds of dolphins aswell.i see not humane reason for any of this japan does not rely on whale and dolphin meat to survive. what possible scientific reaserch involves the killing of hundreds of whales. there is no scientific reserch or purpose. the only reason they kill them is to feed their sick appetites whale and dolpin meat.

At least the meat is eaten. Unlike other places where the Local Government had to ask the locals not to put the last years whale meat in the bin or down drains due to the adverse effect on health. The only reason the meat is binned is to make space for the new pilot cull. Can't beat "tradition".

Japan is a hugely overpopulated island that has historically used the sea to feed it's masses. I don't believe it was Japan who originally hunted the whales to near extinction for profit.

A point is made about hunting and killing of dolphins. Another small whale, that occurs in large numbers. What differentiates them further from the other species, apart from public perception?