PDA

View Full Version : Heating Question

Tc4
15-Jan-08, 16:20
Ok i have a quick question.

What would be better to be installed in a 2 bedroom house.

Total heating or the pultney town heating scheme?

Cheers

Tc4

Julia
15-Jan-08, 18:16
Definitely the latter! I have total heating and it's costing me a small fortune, as a former employee of Caithness Heat and Power Ltd I can, hand on my heart, say it's a much better deal, I just can't wait until I get mine installed.

Macwull
15-Jan-08, 18:44
I would go with chap too, we used to have storage heaters but replaced them with chap about a year ago. Far cheaper and the house is always warm.

Some people say it'll go up but it needs to go up a hell of a lot yet to make it more expensive than other heating costs!

I'm and electrician and I wouldn't recommend storage!! with chap you get full control of your heating but with total control you control tomorrows temperature!! !! So not so TOTAL control is it!!

dozy
15-Jan-08, 20:17
Hi ,how much did it cost to get the CHaP heating installed ???

connieb19
15-Jan-08, 20:30
Will the CHAP heating be available on the Wick side at any point?

Macwull
15-Jan-08, 21:19
The heating cost us (2 bed house) £2600 + VAT. It was far cheaper to get this whole new system installed rather than getting gas down to my house or oil heating installed. Total control would of been the cheaper option for me but I don't like it. I do know people who like it.

If I was to move I would move to a house with this heating installed as its cheap. Having said all that the plant isn't operational yet! So we'l have to wait and c!

Think they were planning on puttin it across the water but don't think that'l be for a few years! If ever!

bky
15-Jan-08, 21:40
i have total heating total discontrol - costing me £5 per day to heat a 3 bedroom semi - 3 storage heaters 1 storage/convector and 3 electric radiators - all set to minimum settings - I HATE IT

dozy
15-Jan-08, 21:55
i have total heating total discontrol - costing me £5 per day to heat a 3 bedroom semi - 3 storage heaters 1 storage/convector and 3 electric radiators - all set to minimum settings - I HATE IT

They say that the New Electric wet central heating system is the way to go .Its uses the low cost night tariff and bills are less than £22.00 per week for a 3 bed house for all your hot water/ heating.All home have electricity already on tap (so to speak) and no need for extra costs for gas or oil tanks

By the way, do the council tenents get their central heating install for free on the CHaP system

Macwull
15-Jan-08, 22:22
By the way, do the council tenents get their central heating install for free on the CHaP system

Yeah the council pays for the heating to be installed but its up to the tennant if they want it I believe.

Have installed that wet system once but don't know if its anygood was thinking of puttin it in my house but chose CHaP instead. So far so good!

Don't think that ground source heating is great either but could be wrong. Expensive to install but virtually cost free after.

Julia
15-Jan-08, 23:02
It will eventually get to the Wick side of town.

I have two storage heaters, one on minimum just to keep the kitchen ticking over. Panel heaters that I try to use as little as possible are in the bedrooms, I only have them on in the kids rooms and only to warm them before bed, the baby's room has been regularly only 12 degrees at night so I now have an oil filled radiator set to come on every 90 minutes in there. My electric costs about £20 per week and my house is freezing, the only warmish room is the living room.

Roll on CHAP!

Macwull
15-Jan-08, 23:13
We only had 3 storage heaters, no panel heaters upstairs and was costing me around £35 a week minimum! And as you say julia the house wasn't even warm!! That oil filled radiators make a real difference when your stuck!

Only thing is CHaP turns you into a right bubble when you go outdoors!! !!:lol:

hobbes1962
16-Jan-08, 10:36
I too have Total Heating Total Control in a two bedroomed flat - DO NOT GET IT. Its rubbish and not controllable. Unfortunately I had no choice as it is a rented flat but if it was my own place I'd rip it out and put in something else.

dozy
16-Jan-08, 11:09
I too have Total Heating Total Control in a two bedroomed flat - DO NOT GET IT. Its rubbish and not controllable. Unfortunately I had no choice as it is a rented flat but if it was my own place I'd rip it out and put in something else.

This tread has been most interesting in that Electric Total Control Heating has been found to be useless by the people that pay the bills .People in the North have and real problem with the cost of heating. Its therefore strange that Pentland Housing are promoting and installing this system in there new builds along with some other useless warm air solar panel .More Taxpayers money being wasted .
Is there any truth in that if homeowners or tenents are spending more than 10% of their income on heating they are in the FUEL PROVERTY bracket.??
I know of a disabled tenent who is paid 36% of their income on coal and electricity bills and the house is still cold .(coal fire with no central heating and storage heaters)....

riggerboy
16-Jan-08, 11:32
i installed oil heating to my house and the difference has been unbelievable, we had a closed in coal fire before, running cost has almost halved, all in i think we pay about £700 a year for oil, and about £10 a week in electric, have a small cosy coal fire in the living room which we buy about 6 bags of coal a year for lovely jubbly,
find out the coat of putting in oil heating its well worth it

Bobinovich
16-Jan-08, 11:42
I must admit that I'm surprised with many of the costs of THTC on this thread. We're in an all-electric 3-bed semi with 6 storage heaters (2 small, 4 good sized) & one heated towel-rail going plus plenty of hot water and our monthly bill is £120! That's for everything though - heat, light, appliances, cooking, etc. as we have no other sources of energy.

The house is definately warm enough for us - some visitors say too warm. We don't heat the bedrooms (even though there are panel heaters in each) as we don't spend a lot of time there, other than for sleeping when you're covered anyway, but even then so long as the bedroom doors are left open the single upstairs storage heater & heat risign from downstairs keeps them adequate if the kids want to play.

That cost even includes powering my wee office which is in the detached garage. Multiple PC's, cosntant bar heater, halogen heater when I'm cold, etc.

Yes the Total Control part is a joke but £4 per day for everything is actually not too bad, which is why I find some of the costs quoted here surprising.

pat
16-Jan-08, 12:03
Believe part of the cost of heating a place is the cost to dry it out first - before the place starts to feel warm so much energy is wasted drying or heating dampness or the moisture content of the place.
If people used a dehumidifier first to dry the place completely it does not cost as much to heat a dry place. Dehumidifiers do not cost very much to run in comparison to the energy used to heat a more moist air.
It will cost more to start with to dry the place out but once it is done and moisture removal maintained it feels warmer - check with the scientists, if it is damp it feels colder than if it is dry.
Difficult to explain but it is true.
Go for the Pultneytown heating, you cannot lose much if anything.

saffy100
16-Jan-08, 12:40
I had total contol!!!..or not..and it was costing me a fortune for a freezing cold house!!!

I forked out to get oil central heating put in, but because of the extortionate price of oil at the moment, and the fact that my house has thick snone walls and is very old i have had over 3700 litres in my tank since last january and my last 500 litres (could'nt afford more) cost £234 which will last me 4-6 weeks, depending on the weather...thats over £40 per week.....so i would deffinately say that the area suffers from heating poverty...i struggle, and any spare money goes on paying for oil to catch up.

and my boiler is on the lowest setting, so its by no means toasty in my house.

dozy
16-Jan-08, 12:52
I had total contol!!!..or not..and it was costing me a fortune for a freezing cold house!!!

I forked out to get oil central heating put in, but because of the extortionate price of oil at the moment, and the fact that my house has thick snone walls and is very old i have had over 3700 litres in my tank since last january and my last 500 litres (could'nt afford more) cost £234 which will last me 4-6 weeks, depending on the weather...thats over £40 per week.....so i would deffinately say that the area suffers from heating poverty...i struggle, and any spare money goes on paying for oil to catch up.

and my boiler is on the lowest setting, so its by no means toasty in my house.

Why dont you ask if there are other Ogers in the same boat and start an oil users group in which you could buy oil in bulk and drive the price down.I'm sure that there are suppliers that would delivery an artic load to caithness for the right price if local companies are to costly ..just a thought...

Tc4
16-Jan-08, 13:00
Cheers for all the responces

If anyone knows of anyone OAP'S with poor heating get them to call 01317772501 they will allow you to have GAS, OIL or Total heating installed plus insulation fitted into the house free of charge depending on where your house is. The option is good if anyone has really poor heating.

When we enquired we were offered the following because of where our house is situated.

Gas installed £8500 because we were 43 meters from the mains anything under 23 meters from the mains source is free.

Oil was looking to be around £3500 not sure why this cost this.

Total heating is free.

Then i called about the CHAP heating today and i was quoted £3050 inc vat which is not bad. Think it was £9.00ish running costs per week.

Rheghead
16-Jan-08, 13:12
Gas installed £8500 because we were 43 meters from the mains anything under 23 meters from the mains source is free..

that is dear, I believe ground source heating costs about £9500 with a grant in Scotland

j4bberw0ck
16-Jan-08, 15:03
They say that the New Electric wet central heating system is the way to go .Its uses the low cost night tariff and bills are less than £22.00 per week for a 3 bed house for all your hot water/ heating.All home have electricity already on tap (so to speak) and no need for extra costs for gas or oil tanks

There are a fair few tenants of Orkney Housing Association who'd argue with that - £400 to £600 / month electricity bills at first. ' Course, they never turned it off, but even so.......:eek:

dozy
16-Jan-08, 15:23
There are a fair few tenants of Orkney Housing Association who'd argue with that - £400 to £600 / month electricity bills at first. ' Course, they never turned it off, but even so.......:eek:

What type of heating is it ,and whats the insulation like .It sounds more like the bills that folk in Ormlie were having to pay in the 80s with that stupid warm air system .
I can tell you that the electric wet system with the proper insulation is very good .Thats under floor, wall and double loft cover ,not the useless council levels asked for,even the extracted air is run through a heat exchanger to warm the clean air drawn in ..£400-600 a month is way OTT and i would like to see the figures ..
This all goes to show how much trouble the whole housing issue is in,with the poor heating ,insulation and build quality .I'll ring the OHA..CHEERS

NickInTheNorth
16-Jan-08, 15:36
What type of heating is it ,and whats the insulation like .It sounds more like the bills that folk in Ormlie were having to pay in the 80s with that stupid warm air system .
I can tell you that the electric wet system with the proper insulation is very good .Thats under floor, wall and double loft cover ,not the useless council levels asked for,even the extracted air is run through a heat exchanger to warm the clean air drawn in ..£400-600 a month is way OTT and i would like to see the figures ..
This all goes to show how much trouble the whole housing issue is in,with the poor heating ,insulation and build quality .I'll ring the OHA..CHEERS

I'm currently looking into a wet electric system, and all the numbers are looking good. The one factor which is very appealing is that I will at last be in control of what happens. The THTC tarrif is totally laughable. From what I can see the only ones with any control are the hydro who decide seemingly at random when the storage heaters are on. The temperature is totally uncontrollable unless you are capable of foreseeing the future.

All the figures I have worked out so far suggest that for heating and hotwater the average weekly cost over the year will be about £22. Using an Economy 7 or 10 tarrif. Now at least with those the times of cheap electricity are predictable. (and useable for any electrical appliance!)

Tc4
16-Jan-08, 15:43
Right is the total heating worth it at all if you are getting it installed for free?

Would switch to the CHAPS heating probibly within a year!

dozy
16-Jan-08, 16:19
I'm currently looking into a wet electric system, and all the numbers are looking good. The one factor which is very appealing is that I will at last be in control of what happens. The THTC tarrif is totally laughable. From what I can see the only ones with any control are the hydro who decide seemingly at random when the storage heaters are on. The temperature is totally uncontrollable unless you are capable of foreseeing the future.

All the figures I have worked out so far suggest that for heating and hotwater the average weekly cost over the year will be about £22. Using an Economy 7 or 10 tarrif. Now at least with those the times of cheap electricity are predictable. (and useable for any electrical appliance!)

It would be great if the Highland Council or some other body could help fund electric wet central heating along with a few E/Tube solar panels this would give the BEST of both worlds and see the electric bills cut by 30-40% and help reduce CO2 .Its just that when you put these ideas forward they never have the funds .PITY..

Tugmistress
16-Jan-08, 17:11
Is there any truth in that if homeowners or tenents are spending more than 10% of their income on heating they are in the FUEL PROVERTY bracket.??
I know of a disabled tenent who is paid 36% of their income on coal and electricity bills and the house is still cold .(coal fire with no central heating and storage heaters)....

blimey, i thought i was bad, i have 2 storage heaters and two panel radiators (only turned on at night) the only power source here is electrickery so all cooking, water, fridge etc is included i pay between 20% & 30% of my wage on electrickery per month.

ginajade
16-Jan-08, 18:36
CHAP, better by far.

ashaw1
16-Jan-08, 18:51
I must admit that I'm surprised with many of the costs of THTC on this thread. We're in an all-electric 3-bed semi with 6 storage heaters (2 small, 4 good sized) & one heated towel-rail going plus plenty of hot water and our monthly bill is £120! That's for everything though - heat, light, appliances, cooking, etc. as we have no other sources of energy.

The house is definately warm enough for us - some visitors say too warm. We don't heat the bedrooms (even though there are panel heaters in each) as we don't spend a lot of time there, other than for sleeping when you're covered anyway, but even then so long as the bedroom doors are left open the single upstairs storage heater & heat risign from downstairs keeps them adequate if the kids want to play.

That cost even includes powering my wee office which is in the detached garage. Multiple PC's, cosntant bar heater, halogen heater when I'm cold, etc.

Yes the Total Control part is a joke but £4 per day for everything is actually not too bad, which is why I find some of the costs quoted here surprising.
I have to admit that i am in the minority but i totally agree with the above post. I live in a 2 bed semi which is only powered by electricity. I have never had a problem with my Total Control Heating. My large radiator in the livingroom is on at intervals through the day, and the bedroom heaters are the same. I have my washing machine and tumble dryer on constantly and we have all the usual mod cons, games consoles, computers etc. Our electricity is around £20 per week. The main problem i have with it is it is hard to control the level of heating on a day to day basis depending on the weather. But it is never cold. I am of the opinion that it is all down to insulation! Our house is only 7 years old!

dozy
17-Jan-08, 12:41
The heating cost us (2 bed house) £2600 + VAT. It was far cheaper to get this whole new system installed rather than getting gas down to my house or oil heating installed. Total control would of been the cheaper option for me but I don't like it. I do know people who like it.

If I was to move I would move to a house with this heating installed as its cheap. Having said all that the plant isn't operational yet! So we'l have to wait and c!

Think they were planning on puttin it across the water but don't think that'l be for a few years! If ever!

Just a thought Macwull if CHaP was burning waste as the design indicates you could have claimed back 30% of that £2600+vat under the grant scheme.Thats £780+ vat that CHaP have pocketed ..on every paying customer that signed up .Maybe when they get started and are burning waste you could ask for that money back ...

ANNIE
17-Jan-08, 12:50
We had storage heaters and totally agree the house was freezing and it takes 24 hours to cool down or heat up so not so controlable. We changed to oil filled our tank end of March last year 1005litres and didnt need filled again until end of November didnt that was bad.

Mizpah
17-Jan-08, 15:31
:D We have storage heaters and find them very good as before we had closed in fire and then Tank Gas system which we found to be extrmely pricey an our experience is ttat with the Storage heaters we have heat the whole time not just when the time clock nallows oil or gas to come on.