PDA

View Full Version : Snake food supplier

lauraspetportraits
15-Jan-08, 15:46
I have a friend who is getting a snake shortly and she is wondering where she can source it's food from. If anyone knows of anywhere locally can you email or pm me please. Ta.

Phoenix200416
15-Jan-08, 15:56
I don't know about locally. So far my Dad has been bringing frozen pinkies and fluffies up from Elgin. He buys them in bulk and then he freezes them at home and they keep for a long time.

rhino
15-Jan-08, 23:43
theres a place in grantown on spey, not shure of the name but it is in the yellow pages.

Tugmistress
16-Jan-08, 01:48
I'm not up and down the road often enough but i get good service from these guys online
http://www.frozendirect.com

fudge100
16-Jan-08, 02:46
i buy from wild world supplies, they are based in essex it's next day delivery straight to your door for only £4.95 anywhere in the uk. i have never had any problems with them apart from one time when i ordered frozen day old chicks. when they arrived they had started to defrost,i telephoned wild world and told them what had happened and they sent me out a fresh order at no expense to me.i should stress that on this occasion the weather was very warm. tel:80456341111.

justine
16-Jan-08, 13:56
i would suggest that if your friend is getting a snake then maybe they should also get a pair of breeding mice.That way they will have there own supply of pinkies.Thats what i did, saved me a lot of money.When they are born stick them in a carrier bag and into the freezer. Quick painless...I used to supply pinky rats to my mate for their snake....£2.00 for 10, best solution i think...

rhino
16-Jan-08, 16:56
i would suggest that if your friend is getting a snake then maybe they should also get a pair of breeding mice.That way they will have there own supply of pinkies.Thats what i did, saved me a lot of money.When they are born stick them in a carrier bag and into the freezer. Quick painless...I used to supply pinky rats to my mate for their snake....£2.00 for 10, best solution i think...

justine,

i would not even have the heart to think about doing something like that !

poor little baby mice, shurely theres some law against it under animal welfare?

justine
16-Jan-08, 18:45
justine,

If there was a law on this then all the suppliers named above would be running an illegal buisness. I mean, we not experimenting on these pinkies. They die of hyperthermia which is nicer than having their necks broken....I would put an injured small animal in the freezer if i had to. My chinchilla gave birth to twins last year. 1 was fine the other was to imature to live. I kept it for two days and as it stated to be kicked out of the nest then it was time to end the suffering. Naturally in the wild mice would abandon a litter to die so at least i am doing it kindly...

fudge100
17-Jan-08, 09:54
justine,

unfortunely it is a fact of nature that snakes do not eat seeds, berrys or fruit.so what would you suggest the poor little snakes should eat? it is a sad fact that many people forget that in nature all predators must eat to survive, in order to eat they must kill.the bottom line is whether you likeit or not everything is part of a food chain.

Phoenix200416
17-Jan-08, 12:48
unfortunely it is a fact of nature that snakes do not eat seeds, berrys or fruit.so what would you suggest the poor little snakes should eat? it is a sad fact that many people forget that in nature all predators must eat to survive, in order to eat they must kill.the bottom line is whether you likeit or not everything is part of a food chain.

Good points from Justine and Fudge. Snakes need to eat something. And as Justine says, it is kinder than their mother abandoning them to die. I was thinking of getting a pair of breeding Mice myself. It would work out a lot cheaper than going down to Elgin and back to pick up frozen mice. I'll put it too my Dad when he gets back. :)

emszxr
17-Jan-08, 15:25
where can you get a male and female mouse. you never see them in pet shops

Phoenix200416
17-Jan-08, 15:50
where can you get a male and female mouse. you never see them in pet shops

Thats a very good point. I know that they had rats up at Pets at Home, but I don't remember seeing Mice

justine
17-Jan-08, 15:56
Thats a very good point. I know that they had rats up at Pets at Home, but I don't remember seeing Mice

Rats are just as good. If you mate them they will produce every three weeks or so.Depending on how big your snakes are you chop the frozen pinkie into smaller bits....They produce up to 13 in a litter so you would only have to breed them every now and then to replemish the stock.Mice available in inverness.......

Phoenix200416
17-Jan-08, 16:08
Well in my case Jake can comfortable eat a fluff mouse, will have 2 or 3 in 1 sitting. Or a small mouse. is a baby rat roughly the size of a small mouse?

lauraspetportraits
17-Jan-08, 16:09
Thanks for all the replies :)

justine
17-Jan-08, 16:11
Well in my case Jake can comfortable eat a fluff mouse, will have 2 or 3 in 1 sitting. Or a small mouse. is a baby rat roughly the size of a small mouse?

Slighlty larger.They not much smaller than a baby rabbit when they first born..Make a good meal for your snake.Rats also make good pets.just dont let milo at them...

unicorn
17-Jan-08, 16:11
mice seem to be unbelievably hard to find these days. I know someone who was looking for a pair as pets and couldn't get any so if you find a supplier of live mice please pm me.

Phoenix200416
17-Jan-08, 16:13
Slighlty larger.They not much smaller than a baby rabbit when they first born..Make a good meal for your snake.Rats also make good pets.just dont let milo at them...

Haha. I had a picture somewhere of Milo giving one of my rats a piggy back :lol: I don't know what happened to it. I'll have to let my dad know that idea it would save fuel and the cost of buying the fluff's from a pet store anyway.

Plus I get to have more rats. :)

lauraspetportraits
17-Jan-08, 16:16
A rat weighs approximately 5g at birth.

fudge100
17-Jan-08, 16:33
i breed rats for my snakes.i would suggest that in order to build up a good supply you should start with 2 females and 1 male. rat pups are a good bit larger than pinkie mice. if anyone is interested i could supply them with some rats to get them started at £2.50 per rat.anyone interested please give me a pm thanks.