PDA

View Full Version : Champix has anyone used this

TBH
15-Jan-08, 02:34
I'm trying to find out as much as i can about this drug and have read the literature on the net regarding it but i would be interested to hear from anyone who has used it to stop smoking or knows of anyone else who has used it and what their experience was like.

paris
15-Jan-08, 02:44
Yes i have and so have others i know. Made me ill so had to stop using it . Friends gave it a good shot but unfortunately failed and are still smoking. Hope you have better luck. jan x

changilass
15-Jan-08, 02:50
Just started on it today, will keep you informed as to how it goes.

aljacan
16-Jan-08, 18:06
Hi tried a couple of months ago, had to give up as it made me ill. :(

orkneylass
16-Jan-08, 19:14
A lot of people have found zyban helpful. Nothing works for everyone and nothing works without willpower, planning and support. Husband and son have both quit over the last 6 months yippee!

Moira
16-Jan-08, 20:52
I'm trying to find out as much as i can about this drug and have read the literature on the net regarding it but i would be interested to hear from anyone who has used it to stop smoking or knows of anyone else who has used it and what their experience was like.

I know 3 people who have used Champix successfully and several others like paris and aljacan who did not. As orkneylass says, nothing works for everyone. There are several alternatives available for anyone who is interested in stopping smoking and various forms of Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT), all available on prescription.

I realise TBH that you may only be interested in researching the drug Champix. BUT if you or anyone else here is interested is stopping smoking it may interest you to know that there is a Highland Smoking Cessation Service (HSCS) available, offering advice & support on a one-to-one basis. The HSCS lo-call number is 0845 757 3077. The Co-ordinator for this service in Caithness & Sutherland is Katie Wilson, Smoking Cessation Adviser - Tel No 07917 271 773.

Just started on it today, will keep you informed as to how it goes.

Good luck with that Changilass. I hope it works for you :)

TBH
17-Jan-08, 01:13
I know 3 people who have used Champix successfully and several others like paris and aljacan who did not. As orkneylass says, nothing works for everyone. There are several alternatives available for anyone who is interested in stopping smoking and various forms of Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT), all available on prescription.

I realise TBH that you may only be interested in researching the drug Champix. BUT if you or anyone else here is interested is stopping smoking it may interest you to know that there is a Highland Smoking Cessation Service (HSCS) available, offering advice & support on a one-to-one basis. The HSCS lo-call number is 0845 757 3077. The Co-ordinator for this service in Caithness & Sutherland is Katie Wilson, Smoking Cessation Adviser - Tel No 07917 271 773.

Good luck with that Changilass. I hope it works for you :)I am really interested in getting help to stop smoking and I have heard lots of people talk about champix and how effective it was but have also heard that it can cause serious side effects: Lowering of the seizure threshold, mild memory loss and nausea being some of the least serious.:confused

clover
17-Jan-08, 11:19
Tried Champix and it proved very successful for myself. There was the small effectof feeling sick after the first tablet everyday but Iam glad to say after 2 months Iwas able to stop taking them as they had worked for me. A friend asked me about them and now her and her mum have both used them and have stopped. I was a bit concerned when I read the article in the Sun where a woman claimed they made her suicidal, I have been on antidepressants for 12 years but they did not affect my medication. My breathing has improved and no longer need to take my asthma medication.

champagnebaby
17-Jan-08, 11:50
I'm currently taking them - on day 9 at present.

For the first few days i was still smoking as usual but by around day 4/5 when you start taking 2 a day i felt less and less like smoking. On Tuesday day 7 i only had 2 fags, my 1st one not until 3pm which is an achievement in itself, lol

I'd made yesterday my target day to have stopped by and managed all day without one but failed last night and smoked my last fag at 10 o'clock [disgust].... Determined not to buy another packet so hopefully i'll be more successful today!!

As for side effects i've had a bit of a dry mouth(which has put me off having a fag), felt a bit queasy the past few days just after taking my morning tablet but a cuppa t an biscuit and i was fine so think it could've been taking it on an empty stomach. Also been havin VERY vivid dreams and a bit of sleeplessness but hoping that will pass!!

Overall i'd say they've definately made a huge difference to my cravings only problem is on things like my tea breaks in work i'm at a lose end as to what to do instead of standin outside smoking and times like when i'm on the computer at home or watching the telly i still sometimes feel like one but i think that's more for something to do. Need to find something to fill the void of having a fag!:eek:

x

TBH
17-Jan-08, 12:06
I'm currently taking them - on day 9 at present.

For the first few days i was still smoking as usual but by around day 4/5 when you start taking 2 a day i felt less and less like smoking. On Tuesday day 7 i only had 2 fags, my 1st one not until 3pm which is an achievement in itself, lol

I'd made yesterday my target day to have stopped by and managed all day without one but failed last night and smoked my last fag at 10 o'clock [disgust].... Determined not to buy another packet so hopefully i'll be more successful today!!

As for side effects i've had a bit of a dry mouth(which has put me off having a fag), felt a bit queasy the past few days just after taking my morning tablet but a cuppa t an biscuit and i was fine so think it could've been taking it on an empty stomach. Also been havin VERY vivid dreams and a bit of sleeplessness but hoping that will pass!!

Overall i'd say they've definately made a huge difference to my cravings only problem is on things like my tea breaks in work i'm at a lose end as to what to do instead of standin outside smoking and times like when i'm on the computer at home or watching the telly i still sometimes feel like one but i think that's more for something to do. Need to find something to fill the void of having a fag!

xExcellent post champagnebaby and very informative, thank you.:)