PDA

View Full Version : Sugar or artificial sweeteners

TBH
14-Jan-08, 20:15
I prefer to use sugar as you hear so many scare stories about artificial sweeteners possibly causing cancer.

karia
14-Jan-08, 20:30
You are just doing this to wind Metalattakk up!

Doesn't that make you a troll?:roll:

TBH
14-Jan-08, 20:36
You are just doing this to wind Metalattakk up!

Doesn't that make you a troll?:roll:Posting a thread is trolling now.[lol]
I am very interested to see peoples views about using artificial sweeteners and if the bad press about them being a contributory factor in cases of cancer would scare them enough into not using them.

changilass
14-Jan-08, 20:37
Have to admit to prefering sugar too, but as I am now on a diet I will have to go with the sweetners.

Have you noticed just how disgustingly sweet tasting all the diet drinks are yeuk.

Might not be able to have as many voddies but am sticking with proper coke in my drinks lol

changilass
14-Jan-08, 20:39
If you believe something to be trolling, would it not be better to hit the report post button or pm the poster rather than possibly causing trouble by making what could be a false accusation in public.

Tugmistress
14-Jan-08, 20:39
definately sugar for me if i am in the mood, take my coffee with or without so don't really get that much use of sweeteners, i'll always grab the sugar bag :)

mums angels
14-Jan-08, 20:40
Sugar - I hate sweetners

TBH
14-Jan-08, 20:41
If you believe something to be trolling, would it not be better to hit the report post button or pm the poster rather than possibly causing trouble by making what could be a false accusation in public.I have no wish to argue with karia but if she would like to report the thread as trolling I suggest she do so. She is very wrong in her assumption so I doubt she would get very far with her complaint.

karia
14-Jan-08, 20:43
Posting a thread is trolling now.
I am very interested to see peoples views about using artificial sweeteners and if the bad press about them being a contributory factor in cases of cancer would scare them enough into not using them.

Of Course you are!;)

I think that aspartame tastes evil and well remember the summer in my youth when our 'sunquick' diluting orange was whipped off us due to the 'cancer scare'...it took us weeks to come down from our 'Tatrazine' induced high and stop running up and down the walls!

If only an e number and an artificial sweetner would make me so limber now!:lol:

cuddlepop
14-Jan-08, 20:43
Sugar only when you have to use it.
Cant imagine baking with artificial sweetner:lol:

coppertop 1958
14-Jan-08, 20:46
Sugar - I hate sweetners its 1 and 2 1/2s for me plz

karia
14-Jan-08, 20:48
Posting a thread is trolling now.[lol]

Irony abounds as the evenings activities and the smileys above indicate.

I was neither serious nor did TBH take me to be...did all the humour leave with johno?

paris
14-Jan-08, 20:48
Whats Trolling ?? sugar for me and lots of it. Not just a couple in tea but anything sweet, if i don't get my daily fix I'm a right so and so.. jan x

Tristan
14-Jan-08, 20:51
Have you noticed just how disgustingly sweet tasting all the diet drinks are yeuk.

I would be more worried about the amount of salt in those drinks. Not to mention there is some evidence they hamper short term memory and reduce sex drive. Everything in moderation is the better way to go.

Ash
14-Jan-08, 21:01
used to be sugar, but trying to be all healthy, sweetners in tea and coffee, hopefully none soon :D

karia
14-Jan-08, 21:05
I haven't taken sugar in tea or coffee for ten years and I don't miss it..no milk either!

TBH
14-Jan-08, 21:08
I would be more worried about the amount of salt in those drinks. Not to mention there is some evidence they hamper short term memory and reduce sex drive. Everything in moderation is the better way to go.I have read numerous articles about aspartame and it's supposed links with memory loss, heightened aggressive behaviour, brain tumours and cancer. It seems like every other day there are scare stories about things that we eat or drink.

Lavenderblue2
14-Jan-08, 21:23
Sugar and it has to be brown in my coffee.

I really hate the taste of artificial sweetners.

LB

TBH
14-Jan-08, 21:32
Sugar and it has to be brown in my coffee.

I really hate the taste of artificial sweetners.

LBI love demerara sugar in my coffee.

Thumper
14-Jan-08, 22:45
I would be more worried about the amount of salt in those drinks. Not to mention there is some evidence they hamper short term memory and reduce sex drive. Everything in moderation is the better way to go.

note to self....do NOT allow next boyfriend to drink diet drinks ;) x

brandy
14-Jan-08, 23:27
well i have to say sweetners as im diabetic.. and i KNOW sugar will kill me wheras sweetners.. just might kill me.. *Grins*

DeHaviLand
14-Jan-08, 23:34
note to self....do NOT allow next boyfriend to drink diet drinks x

Very optimistic of you Thumper, but can you really afford to limit your chances like this? ;) :lol:

Tristan
14-Jan-08, 23:35
I love demerara sugar in my coffee.

Now if we are talking about coffee...black as night on a moonless night.:D

Thumper
14-Jan-08, 23:35
Very optimistic of you Thumper, but can you really afford to limit your chances like this?

You tell me?:eek::lol: x

karia
14-Jan-08, 23:38
Very optimistic of you Thumper, but can you really afford to limit your chances like this?

Of course she can!

Lovely bunnies should be well choosy!:lol:

gillian17
14-Jan-08, 23:39
I may be wrong here but I think it was aspartame that was originally developed as a weedkiller. Until someone tasted it!!
Was it a famous chemist, there were two, father and son, and one of them tasted every concoction he produced. He did not live long.
Possibly Haldane but I cannot be bothered looking it up.

karia
15-Jan-08, 00:30
James schlatter in 1965 licked his fingers..can't believe he thought

'that's nice..it could fair replace sugar':eek:

Yeeurrgh!

Anne x
15-Jan-08, 00:35
James schlatter in 1965 licked his fingers..can't believe he thought

'that's nice..it could fair replace sugar':eek:

Yeeurrgh!

No wonder I take neither sugar or sweetener or any other kind of stuff Milk or Tea included apart from strong black Caffeine maybe thats why Im deluded

Torvaig
15-Jan-08, 01:50
Whats Trolling ?? sugar for me and lots of it. Not just a couple in tea but anything sweet, if i don't get my daily fix I'm a right so and so.. jan x

"Trolling" is a national sport in Norway where they con some elderly Trolls into thinking there is a free meal at a ski centre then grab them, truss them up and roll them downhill whilst taking bets on which one makes the straightest line in the snow.

There has been a recent decline due to complaints about abusing Trolls but the Trolls rebelled and said they didn't mind as they got a free meal which they really appreciate as they are always hungry due to the fact that, being so old and frail, they cannot reach up to harvest the smoked sausage trees.

There is an election due soon and one party has based it's campaign on "S.N.O.T." (Save Norways Old Trolls).

Sporran
15-Jan-08, 06:32

Hmmm....I've been using artificial sweetener and drinking diet soft drinks for years - and they haven't had that effect on me! But you're right, Tristan. Moderation is the key!

"Trolling" is a national sport in Norway where they con some elderly Trolls into thinking there is a free meal at a ski centre then grab them, truss them up and roll them downhill whilst taking bets on which one makes the straightest line in the snow.

There has been a recent decline due to complaints about abusing Trolls but the Trolls rebelled and said they didn't mind as they got a free meal which they really appreciate as they are always hungry due to the fact that, being so old and frail, they cannot reach up to harvest the smoked sausage trees.

There is an election due soon and one party has based it's campaign on "S.N.O.T." (Save Norways Old Trolls).

No r way can I believe that, Torvaig! ;) :lol:

Lolabelle
15-Jan-08, 06:48
I used to use artificial sweeteners all the time, but I dislike the aftertaste so I stopped having sugar in my tea or coffee. Or milk for that matter.
Coffee ~ Strong and black
Tea ~ Weak and black [lol]

Ricco
15-Jan-08, 08:47
Sugar every time for me, TBH. Ignore Karia, she's just feeling the January blues, aren't you sweetie? ;)

karia
15-Jan-08, 13:23
Sugar every time for me, TBH. Ignore Karia, she's just feeling the January blues, aren't you sweetie? ;)

No Karia's quite bright thank you sugar!:lol:

And like most folks last night she didn't read this thread in isolation...hence the irony.

mccaugm
15-Jan-08, 14:02
Have to admit to prefering sugar too, but as I am now on a diet I will have to go with the sweetners.

Might not be able to have as many voddies but am sticking with proper coke in my drinks lol

I am on a diet but instead of sweetner I use the reduced calorie sugar. It tastes the same which is great. Use sweetener in porridge though.

pat
15-Jan-08, 22:25
Honey always in my home unless I am in someone elses home then it is sugar - never sweeteners unless I am absolutely desperate, rather drink it straight black than with sweeteners

NLP
15-Jan-08, 22:49
OH has sweeteners, I don't drink tea or coffee but I like sugar on my cornflakes tried the sugar light and hate it.