PDA

View Full Version : Any update on Asda

plumber
14-Jan-08, 14:49
Just wondering if anyone has any news fresh news on the Asda saga

Loch not Lock
14-Jan-08, 16:34
I havn't heard anything but the sooner the better as far as I am concerned. Tesco seem to get in anywhere without any council objection which seems a bit underhand to me.
The two votes given to the Wick chairman when it was a tie over Asda is definately dodgy. He should have been chucked out like Aberdeen did to their biast chairman after the golf course debacle.
How can it be democratic with a qourum of 8 for one to have 2 votes? It appears like he favoured Wick in order to deny Thurso.
Public enquiry please.

rfr10
14-Jan-08, 17:10
And also the new retail park in Wick up beside Tesco. Haven't heard anything on that either recently :/

Big hughie
14-Jan-08, 21:42
The two votes given to the Wick chairman when it was a tie over Asda is definately dodgy. He should have been chucked out like Aberdeen did to their biast chairman after the golf course debacle.
How can it be democratic with a qourum of 8 for one to have 2 votes? It appears like he favoured Wick in order to deny Thurso.
Public enquiry please.
Maybe if one of the Thurso council members on the committee had voted for ASDA then we would not have had the problem would we?? instead of trying to turn this into a Wick Thurso thing seek out the Thurso guys and ask them why they voted as they did??

Beeeeegggg Hugheeeeeeeee

Cinderella's Shoe
14-Jan-08, 22:07
Tesco seem to get in anywhere without any council objection which seems a bit underhand to me.

Highland Council appears to have invested in Tescos. I'm not sure of many other facts but there has been some debate in the press regarding the Council's impartiality.

Public enquiry please.

I completely agree.

Mik.M.
15-Jan-08, 00:07
Personally I look forward to Asda coming up here,but I think that the councillors will stop it as they have not had a backhander to keep them sweet. Think theres something dodgy with the whole deal.

Yoda the flump
15-Jan-08, 00:18
Maybe if one of the Thurso council members on the committee had voted for ASDA then we would not have had the problem would we?? instead of trying to turn this into a Wick Thurso thing seek out the Thurso guys and ask them why they voted as they did??

Yep, this is a more valid point than dragging the discussion into the Wick vs Thurso debate.

The three guys from Thurso really need to explain their actions

Moby
15-Jan-08, 08:43
There was a full public enquiry in June last year regarding the planning application. This matter is now with the Scottish Executive for their decision.

bekisman
15-Jan-08, 18:08
Well at last! The Highland Council has voted in favour of outline planning permission at Slackbuie for an ASDA store See this link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7189180.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7189180.stm)

Maybe we will be next!?

Loch not Lock
15-Jan-08, 18:14
This post (and subsequent referred posts) removed by Moderator due to insults

Humerous Vegetable
15-Jan-08, 18:31
Just wondering if anyone has any news fresh news on the Asda saga

Oh, come on guys, it's only been 5 months since the inquiry - I think it's probably against the law for a government department to make a decision about anything in less than a year. It's no skin off their noses if we up here have to pay £1.09p a litre for unleaded after all, because they don't have to put their hands in their own pockets, when they can put them in ours.

Loch not Lock
15-Jan-08, 18:38
Do you honestly believe it was a fair vote? It has already cost Thurso many millions in employment and savings because every week thousands go shopping in Inverness and beyond. This is great for our carbon footprint.
Surely everyone agrees that having everything on our doorstep is favourable for everyone than driving on that horrible A9.

orkneylass
15-Jan-08, 19:02
Asda got permission for a store in Inverness

bekisman
15-Jan-08, 19:05
I know - see post 9

Colin Graham
21-Jan-08, 23:42
Just to let you know that the Reporter's recommendations and the Scottish Government Ministers' decision were published today.

The Reporter recommended that the Pennyland Farm site be refused and the Auction Mart site approved. The Ministers agreed with her recommendations and, accordingly, granted planning permission for the Auction Mart site and refused ASDA's application.

Tugmistress
21-Jan-08, 23:44
So we get an ASDA but at the Auction Mart site not at Pennyland :roll: oh roll on the traffic chaos when construction starts!

NickInTheNorth
21-Jan-08, 23:53
Just to let you know that the Reporter's recommendations and the Scottish Government Ministers' decision were published today.

The Reporter recommended that the Pennyland Farm site be refused and the Auction Mart site approved. The Ministers agreed with her recommendations and, accordingly, granted planning permission for the Auction Mart site and refused ASDA's application.

So can you tell us at this stage Colin, are Asda going ahead with their option to buy the 5.5 acres you referred to previously?

Colin Graham
22-Jan-08, 00:03
You'll need to ask ASDA about that I'm afraid.

SandTiger
22-Jan-08, 00:18
Hi Colin, what about this traffic chaos? How much time can we expect it to add onto our journeys into town? Should we be thinking about packed lunches or will Asda placing a drive-in sandwich bar in situ during construction?

webmannie
22-Jan-08, 00:19
Didn`t expect that decision. I spent over 5 mins trying to get across the road to the railway station on Saturday, the junction is bedlam and that is beforehand!!

SandTiger
22-Jan-08, 00:28
Didn`t expect that decision. I spent over 5 mins trying to get across the road to the railway station on Saturday, the junction is bedlam and that is beforehand!!

Can't even blame the Dounraey traffic rush for a Saturday :(

Did you make the train okay?

gollach
22-Jan-08, 00:36

Have you got a link for that, Colin?

engiebenjy
22-Jan-08, 01:18
Never mind the fact that it is between two schools....

Mr P Cannop
22-Jan-08, 08:56
Have you got a link for that, Colin?

i would like to see this as well

Scout
22-Jan-08, 10:09
If it is true you will see it in todays paper

bekisman
22-Jan-08, 10:17
Oh well, it will serve Thurso right if ASDA tells them to buzz off and goes to Wick instead (well done Saxon!)

bekisman
22-Jan-08, 11:37
Just been talking over with my BH, this possible "ASDA refused Pennyland" debacle, - can't really see ASDA taking up the Auction Mart option; schools, railway line, undertakers etc.

On the one hand we have Wick's national chains:
Homebase.
Boots.
Wetherspoon.
Argos.
Tesco cheap fuel.
Pets Are Us.
Carpet Right.
Superdrug.
New Look.
Edinburgh Woollen Mill.
And there are more on the way.

And on the other hand we have Thurso's:

It is a poor reflection on the previous councillors of Thurso, that Thurso remains a black-hole where commerce is concerned. Maybe folk are unaware but it was a Wick Councillor (Bill Fernie) who actually got off his bum and instigated procedure to challenge what 'our' Thurso councillors had decided, Councillor Smith over at Wick had the deciding vote as to whether ASDA could have the Pennyland site - the fact that two Thurso Councillors, who voted against - and were overlooking the potential site, had nothing to do with it.

On checking with our diary we find that we travelled all the way down to Inverness - on average - every twelve days for our bulk shopping and other items. Since Tesco, Wick and the other stores have arrived, we no longer undertake the long trek to the Capital. 99% of our money goes to Wick; spread amongst the above stores, we do not spend our money in Thurso; why should we? the additional cost of fuel travelling to Wick is outweighed by the cheaper fuel costs over there, and the choice and costs of shopping, and yes we do spend money in the ancillary shops in the town.

But it is a sad fact that it took a Wick Councillor to stand up for Thurso, one certainly wonder what the heck the Thurso Councillors are actually doing? Thurso IS dying!

See not many comments on this thread - yet. But with over 1,600 viewings, it's certainly of interest. Of course we've yet to see the link..

Rourkee
22-Jan-08, 13:17
Another national chain that could be coming to Wick is ASDA!
ASDA are currently putting together a bid to take over all the Somerfield stores across the UK, subject to the Office of Fair Trade agreeing.
Interesting times ahead (for Wick)

http://www.foodanddrinkeurope.com/news/ng.asp?id=59713-oft-could-clear

carlominno
22-Jan-08, 13:35
Check out the date on this report ...... April 2005 so I think something may have come of it before now if it was going to be happening (or at least the rumourmill may have done the rounds before now)

Humerous Vegetable
22-Jan-08, 14:16

I think Colin "missing link" Graham might be pulling our chains here! Unless he works for Millers?

Green_not_greed
22-Jan-08, 14:34
As far as I can see, the report is not yet published

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Planning/Appeals/Details/Q/Case_id/1538 (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Planning/Appeals/Details/Q/Case_id/1538)

Cattach
22-Jan-08, 15:29
Just been talking over with my BH, this possible "ASDA refused Pennyland" debacle, - can't really see ASDA taking up the Auction Mart option; schools, railway line, undertakers etc.

On the one hand we have Wick's national chains:
Homebase.
Boots.
Wetherspoon.
Argos.
Tesco cheap fuel.
Pets Are Us.
Carpet Right.
Superdrug.
New Look.
Edinburgh Woollen Mill.
And there are more on the way.

And on the other hand we have Thurso's:

It is a poor reflection on the previous councillors of Thurso, that Thurso remains a black-hole where commerce is concerned. Maybe folk are unaware but it was a Wick Councillor (Bill Fernie) who actually got off his bum and instigated procedure to challenge what 'our' Thurso councillors had decided, Councillor Smith over at Wick had the deciding vote as to whether ASDA could have the Pennyland site - the fact that two Thurso Councillors, who voted against - and were overlooking the potential site, had nothing to do with it.

On checking with our diary we find that we travelled all the way down to Inverness - on average - every twelve days for our bulk shopping and other items. Since Tesco, Wick and the other stores have arrived, we no longer undertake the long trek to the Capital. 99% of our money goes to Wick; spread amongst the above stores, we do not spend our money in Thurso; why should we? the additional cost of fuel travelling to Wick is outweighed by the cheaper fuel costs over there, and the choice and costs of shopping, and yes we do spend money in the ancillary shops in the town.

But it is a sad fact that it took a Wick Councillor to stand up for Thurso, one certainly wonder what the heck the Thurso Councillors are actually doing? Thurso IS dying!

See not many comments on this thread - yet. But with over 1,600 viewings, it's certainly of interest. Of course we've yet to see the link..

'But it is a sad fact that it took a Wick Councillor to stand up for Thurso, one certainly wonder what the heck the Thurso Councillors are actually doing? Thurso IS dying!'

What are you talking about?!! It was a Wick councillor that wrecked the Asda bit for Thurso - namely Grame Smith who cast his vite twice to deprive Thurso in favour of Wick. Some favour.

Highland Laddie
22-Jan-08, 15:57
'But it is a sad fact that it took a Wick Councillor to stand up for Thurso, one certainly wonder what the heck the Thurso Councillors are actually doing? Thurso IS dying!'

What are you talking about?!! It was a Wick councillor that wrecked the Asda bit for Thurso - namely Grame Smith who cast his vite twice to deprive Thurso in favour of Wick. Some favour.

Ah, but if the 3 Thurso councillors voted in favour of Asda, councillor Smith would not have had the opportunity to use his casting vote.

badcall
22-Jan-08, 16:04
Here we go again. Rather than have to re-read all the cat-calling, sniping, mis-information, down-right fibs, pleas of 'not my fault guv' etc.etc can we just re-print all the previous stuff under todays date to save on the greenhouse gasses?

percy toboggan
22-Jan-08, 16:10
Plumber - I made a real mess of awarding you some good feedback - but what I meant to say was my knowledge of ASDA Thurso is limited but your nickname and avatar gave me the first chuckle of the day...thanks.

cuddlepop
22-Jan-08, 16:29
Another national chain that could be coming to Wick is ASDA!
ASDA are currently putting together a bid to take over all the Somerfield stores across the UK, subject to the Office of Fair Trade agreeing.
Interesting times ahead (for Wick)

http://www.foodanddrinkeurope.com/news/ng.asp?id=59713-oft-could-clear

So that's what the staff at our local Somerfield were trying to tell us :eek:

Colin Graham
22-Jan-08, 17:52
The reason I can't post a link to the decision is that the Government, as far as I'm aware, don't publish their decisions electronically.

However, rest assured that I've got a copy of the Reporter's Report and the Ministers' decision letter. Both were received on Monday morning.

No doubt one of the other supporter/protestors will host their copy in due course and you can read all 101 pages of the Reporter's decision at your leisure.

Kirsty Dubh
22-Jan-08, 19:15
I think this is a disaster. The Mart site is just not suitable. It is also small compared to the other site and will mean that we will not get the other 'spin off' shops that other towns seem to attract when they have a big supermarket. The store will probably be smaller. What a shame. Maybe Asda will decide not to take up this option and then where will we be. It is exactly like the recent 'Trump' situation in Aberdeen where the opinions of the majority of the people that the Councillors serve were ignored in favour of personal opinions. Remember the Highland Council approved the application for the Pennyland Farm. Someone (and I can only think it is a Councillor) really does not want Thurso to get an Asda!!![evil]

Green_not_greed
22-Jan-08, 19:16
The reason I can't post a link to the decision is that the Government, as far as I'm aware, don't publish their decisions electronically.

Colin - they do, and it should be at

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Planning/Appeals/Details/Q/Case_id/1538

Highland Laddie
22-Jan-08, 19:21
I think this is a disaster. The Mart site is just not suitable. It is also small compared to the other site and will mean that we will not get the other 'spin off' shops that other towns seem to attract when they have a big supermarket. The store will probably be smaller. What a shame. Maybe Asda will decide not to take up this option and then where will we be. It is exactly like the recent 'Trump' situation in Aberdeen where the opinions of the majority of the people that the Councillors serve were ignored in favour of personal opinions. Remember the Highland Council approved the application for the Pennyland Farm. Someone (and I can only think it is a Councillor) really does not want Thurso to get an Asda!!![evil]

They could always talk to councillor Smith and build a new Asda supermarket in Wick.

Rourkee
22-Jan-08, 19:25
Check out the date on this report ...... April 2005 so I think something may have come of it before now if it was going to be happening (or at least the rumourmill may have done the rounds before now)

Sorry my mistake. Try this one from the Times online, dated today!

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/retailing/article3228747.ece

bekisman
22-Jan-08, 19:46
Seems ASDA and Tesco are fighting it out in Tain; "The supermarket war at Tain intensified yesterday with the announcement that a public inquiry into plans for two new stores has been postponed following the submission of a third application." (in the P & J today)

http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=149664&command=displayContent&sourceNode=149490&contentPK=19624546&folderPk=85696&pNodeId=149221 (http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=149664&command=displayContent&sourceNode=149490&contentPK=19624546&folderPk=85696&pNodeId=149221)

Believe it or not but: "The Asda application was referred to the Scottish Ministers after being supported by Highland Council because, at the request of the local authority, the retailer included more car parking space in its plans than government policy permits."
So more space for customers is a reason!? (Seems to ring a bell why Co-op objected to Tesco in Wick?)

MileHigh
22-Jan-08, 20:04
Asda Plans for Thurso Knocked back by Scottish Government Follow Link Below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/scotland_aod.shtml?scotland/inverness

Find it hard to beleive that they can knock back Pennyland but give the go ahead to a development at the old Mart. Must be one of the worst places Traffic wise and next to a School.

bekisman
22-Jan-08, 20:16
dated; 7th August 2006

Found this on: http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=12761 (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=12761) (strange): "As you will be aware, the site is allocated in the 2002 Caithness Local Plan for a variety of uses including housing, business, community uses, and non-food retail." non-food retail?.. Anyway gives a few pointers.. although this is 18 months ago shows how it's dragged on and on and on..

"My name is Colin Graham and I work for Miller who is, as of 25 July [2006], the new owner of the Auction Mart site.

a) any proposals for the site's redevelopment will have to accompanied by a full Transportation Assessment (TA), which looks at the traffic likely to be generated and how this could be accommodated on the surrounding road network. If there are are issues thrown up by the TA, such as concerns about a particular junction or pedestrian crossing, then our study will look at potential solutions.

b) one of things I am very keen on is reinstating the pavement on the east side of Ormlie Road. As most people will know, there's no pavement here at the moment, which means that children from the High School will quite often be forced to walk on the road to get round cars parked on the verge. I know the Council and the Community Council have been keen to see a pavement here for many years.

c) if the auction mart redevelopment is to include retail, one of the key things to remember is that the peak periods for retail traffic (normally Thurs evening, Fri evening and the weekends) don't tend to coincide with the peak periods for schools and colleges. Of course, this is one of the issues that will be covered in detail in the traffic study.

d) it's important to remember that access by car is only one of the issues to be covered in the TA. Access by walking, cycling or by public transport are also important and I believe that the central location of the auction mart in the town makes the site accessible to the majority of people in the town.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Through
22-Jan-08, 20:28
Just for the record; I am against using the Auction Mart site to build an ASDA store.

Anyone who looks at the existing traffic has to see that adding ASDA traffic would be unbearable.

SandTiger
22-Jan-08, 21:03
Just for the record; I am against using the Auction Mart site to build an ASDA store.

Anyone who looks at the existing traffic has to see that adding ASDA traffic would be unbearable.

What about if an effective traffic management system was also part of the package? Would that be okay?

Wal-Mart have such an appalling track record including the envious title of 'the most ruthless employer in the world' so I'm sure that painting in the odd Zebra crossing and adding a few traffic lights will not be a problem to them.

It just seems but a few months ago that everyone was jumping up and down proclaiming how Wal-Mart (sorry, Asda) would be the saviour of Thurso, well now we have it...

scorrie
22-Jan-08, 21:38
I hope asda are better than their store locator. If you enter Thurso, it comes up with Elgin as the nearest store, at an earth shatteringly inaccurate distance of 66 miles!!

concerned resident
22-Jan-08, 21:57
Never could see any point in Asda being located in Thurso, as there was no ideal site, which could be agreed, why not site Asda just outside, or Castletown, certainly would save me fuel on the weekly trip to Wick, as the Tesco in Thurso is just a poor joke, just like our Councillers. We would be better off with out them, as everything is Inverness orientated anyway. We are no better off, still being ripped off for our fuel, and the town is going to slowly turn into only having a few over priced shops, for the few remaining overpaid Dounreay employees, who as time moves on, they will also move on.

Moby
22-Jan-08, 22:33
Extract from Reporter's Report: (Para 13.54)

"....The Auction Mart proposal is accepted by all parties as an opportunity to address some of the road safety issues that undoubtedly affect that particular location, like erratic parking and the lack of a footpath along the site frontage. Other concerns, which relate to the proximity of schools and colleges to the Auction Mart Site, are not supported by the council’s evidence as roads authority or by any objection from the High School in particular. The traffic assessments and the evidence confirm that school related congestion is extremely short lived and that it generally occurs earlier than the main peak time for shopping. Further, the assessments also show that the road network has enough capacity, whereby the congestion problems must arise from poor traffic management. The Auction Mart proposal offers scope to address this issue further as the detailed design evolves and again, the matter can be secured by planning conditions. Therefore, I find that preventing development for road safety reasons is not justified by the evidence to an extent that must prevent development, especially as the Auction Mart is a brownfield site where the adopted local plan promotes redevelopment and reuse of come kind."

gollach
22-Jan-08, 23:44
Extract from Reporter's Report: (Para 13.54)

"....The Auction Mart proposal is accepted by all parties as an opportunity to address some of the road safety issues that undoubtedly affect that particular location, like erratic parking and the lack of a footpath along the site frontage. Other concerns, which relate to the proximity of schools and colleges to the Auction Mart Site, are not supported by the council’s evidence as roads authority or by any objection from the High School in particular. The traffic assessments and the evidence confirm that school related congestion is extremely short lived and that it generally occurs earlier than the main peak time for shopping. Further, the assessments also show that the road network has enough capacity, whereby the congestion problems must arise from poor traffic management. The Auction Mart proposal offers scope to address this issue further as the detailed design evolves and again, the matter can be secured by planning conditions. Therefore, I find that preventing development for road safety reasons is not justified by the evidence to an extent that must prevent development, especially as the Auction Mart is a brownfield site where the adopted local plan promotes redevelopment and reuse of come kind."

How did you get your hands on a report, Moby? Did you speak at the inquiry? Is the report too large to scan and link to here?

Moby
23-Jan-08, 00:22
Massive document - too large to attach I'm afraid

Loch not Lock
23-Jan-08, 01:16
Unbelievable decision[evil]. Why not Pennyland? Scotland has gone mad!!!

lazytown
23-Jan-08, 01:49
ach maybe the scottish goverment are wanting it situated between 2 schools so that a kd can be knocked down, so it will be another statistic thay can jot down... 1 in 10 kids get run over @ asda[lol]

webmannie
23-Jan-08, 02:14
Can`t see asda wanting to build on top of the biggest dung heap in the town. We used to call it scoor park when we were younger, must be an environmental hazard?

NickInTheNorth
23-Jan-08, 04:21
Unbelievable decision[evil]. Why not Pennyland? Scotland has gone mad!!!

A totally believable decision, one that was always the most likely outcome, given that there is an overwhelming presumption given to development of "brownfield" rather than "greenfield" sites.

I suspect that the roads will become far safer as a result of this development (assuming it goes ahead).

Metalattakk
23-Jan-08, 05:21
Can`t see asda wanting to build on top of the biggest dung heap in the town. We used to call it scoor park when we were younger, must be an environmental hazard?

Steady! Dung isn't always a bad thing...

Just think of the rose beds they could cultivate...! Ornamental Orange Groves perhaps, (well, with Global Warming and the lack of local Windfarm technology to offset the blah blah blah etc., etc., etc...it may be possible) along with picturesque flowering beds of fuchsias and pansies galore. :D

Methinks it's an ideal proposition. Mind you, it'll fair spoil the view from my back window. :lol:

Cattach
23-Jan-08, 08:26
Never could see any point in Asda being located in Thurso, as there was no ideal site, which could be agreed, why not site Asda just outside, or Castletown, certainly would save me fuel on the weekly trip to Wick, as the Tesco in Thurso is just a poor joke, just like our Councillers. We would be better off with out them, as everything is Inverness orientated anyway. We are no better off, still being ripped off for our fuel, and the town is going to slowly turn into only having a few over priced shops, for the few remaining overpaid Dounreay employees, who as time moves on, they will also move on.

There is so much nonsense in this posting that one finds it hard to know where to start. It would take a very long reply so suffice to say thereb are certainly sites in and close to Thurso sutiable for Asda and the Tesco shop in Thurso is an excellent store. As for overpaid Dounreay employees, I am not one of them but know that without Dounreay this county would have been in dire straits over the past 50 years.

webmannie
23-Jan-08, 08:46
As for overpaid Dounreay employees

Overpaid relative to what? If they are that well paid explain the exodus to Aberdeen to jobs in the oil industry and elsewhere. The county needs to develop well paid jobs to stop the exodus and retail is not the answer!

Mr P Cannop
23-Jan-08, 10:20
does any one want a copy of the report send me a pm with your details and i will pass the report to you all

Cattach
23-Jan-08, 12:53
Overpaid relative to what? If they are that well paid explain the exodus to Aberdeen to jobs in the oil industry and elsewhere. The county needs to develop well paid jobs to stop the exodus and retail is not the answer!

You should re-read my posting. I did not say the Dounreay workers were over paid but simply made reference to the other posters comment.

Mr P Cannop
23-Jan-08, 13:03
send me a pm with your details and i will forward it on to you all

Ash
23-Jan-08, 13:26
you dont need to keep posting, i think everyone knows they can PM you

Penelope Pitstop
23-Jan-08, 13:36
Never could see any point in Asda being located in Thurso, as there was no ideal site, which could be agreed, why not site Asda just outside, or Castletown

Eh???????????????????? What panet are you on!

still being ripped off for our fuel, and the town is going to slowly turn into only having a few over priced shops, for the few remaining overpaid Dounreay employees, who as time moves on, they will also move on.

You're being ripped off for your fuel becuase we DON'T have an Asda or Tesco supermarket selling it;)

"overpaid Dounreay employees" - what's that info based on:confused

"they will also move on" - reality check......loads of them have gone already.

bekisman
23-Jan-08, 13:55
Was over in Wick yesterday, noticed the petrol stations there were same price as Tesco, AND on going via Thurso home, noticed that the fuel prices were 'only' 3p more, are they finally realizing that their drop in profits in Thurso is 'cause folks are driving over to Wick? PLEASE, PLEASE ASDA bring your 'national price fuel' to Thurso!

concerned resident
23-Jan-08, 16:03
Sorry: Penelope Pitstop is it to hard for you to consider, that there are sites available for Asda, just outside Thurso or even Castletown, are you a Councillor ? On my planet they would look at all the options available.

Not really interested in overpaid Dounreay employees, as you say some have gone, and as soon as the new sites down south start advertising, they will all be off.

Often think of how Caithness would have been with out Dounreay, would it have been full of Tourists ? admitted Dounreay has brought money into the County over the years, and when they are gone, we will still have the waste, and the Hot spots. Also when it was located in Caithness it was not only to bring money into the County, it was because they did not know, if it would blow up or not. Shows you how concerned they were about the workers, and the people living in the area.

NickInTheNorth
23-Jan-08, 16:09
Hey Concerned Resident - late breaking news - they just knocked back one greenfield site in favour of a brownfield, what makes you think they would look at another? (Or are there appropriate brownfield sites outwith Thurso?)

Second consideration, what is the population of Castletown? Population of Thurso? Which do you think makes most sense to a supermarket?

Re the location of Dounreay - it's ancient history, what does it have to do with the building of a supermarket?

The Pepsi Challenge
23-Jan-08, 18:04
Hey Concerned Resident - late breaking news - they just knocked back one greenfield site in favour of a brownfield, what makes you think they would look at another? (Or are there appropriate brownfield sites outwith Thurso?)

Second consideration, what is the population of Castletown? Population of Thurso? Which do you think makes most sense to a supermarket?

Re the location of Dounreay - it's ancient history, what does it have to do with the building of a supermarket?

Castletown is a Thurso suburb, so it makes no difference really.

bekisman
23-Jan-08, 20:16
In the Groat today:
ASDA: "Pennyland is off our agenda now," he said. "We're obviously very disappointed with the decision and we're currently weighing up our options. We would still very much like to have a store in Thurso so as not to disappoint our many supporters. We're keen to stress that we have not given up on Thurso."...
Miller's Colin Graham was asked whether the talks could include Asda, he replied: "Absolutely. We'd be delighted were Asda to put in a bid for the site."...
Objectors claimed the Pennyland scheme would rob Thurso of its "green lungs" and blight the scenic, open approach to the town... [ain't that nice]

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/3863/Mart_site_is_winner_in_Thurso_store_wars.html (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/3863/Mart_site_is_winner_in_Thurso_store_wars.html)

Tony
23-Jan-08, 20:18
I seem a bit confused with this issue.
Am I right in saying Asda were only ever interested in the Pennyland site and not the Mart site and was not suitable for a supermarket? If this was the case then why has the meetings and media coverage being constantly hijacked with reference to the mart site? It should have been ignored and not recommended.
If the situation is now as it stands the councillors will simply reject the Mart site and Asda will forget about Thurso and petrol stations will all probably increase prices in Thurso even more.
If a big chain shows interest in an area then others try to get in on the action also. Asda may have encouraged other companies to also move to the area creating more jobs. Is this not what happened in Wick when Tesco showed interest and suddenly you had Homebase etc with more to follow?
It looks like the Thurso people will have to continue to travel to Wick or Inverness or even order goods online as more and more people are now doing this now.

Highland Laddie
23-Jan-08, 20:19
Am I right in saying Asda were only ever interested in the Pennyland site and not the Mart site and was not suitable for a supermarket? If this was the case then why has the meetings and media coverage being constantly hijacked with reference to the mart site? It should have been ignored and not recommended.
If the situation is now as it stands the councillors will simply reject the Mart site and Asda will forget about Thurso and petrol stations will all probably increase prices in Thurso even more.
If a big chain shows interest in an area then others try to get in on the action also. Asda may have encouraged other companies to also move to the area creating more jobs. Is this not what happened in Wick when Tesco showed interest and suddenly you had Homebase etc with more to follow?
It looks like the Thurso people will have to continue to travel to Wick or Inverness or even order goods online as more and more people are now doing this now.

Homebase etc came long before Tesco showed up.

unicorn
23-Jan-08, 20:23
It seems to me that other interests are trying to bully ASDA into using and buying a site that they never wanted in the first place.

Moby
23-Jan-08, 20:49
Am I right in saying Asda were only ever interested in the Pennyland site and not the Mart site and was not suitable for a supermarket?

FACT: ASDA had first option on the Mart Site all along but they hid this fact and actually stated to the planning committee that they had approached the Mart to sell but they refused. (This option to buy the Mart site expired in November 2007.)

SandTiger
23-Jan-08, 21:06
Castletown is a Thurso suburb, so it makes no difference really.

Well it does if your selling the Big Issue - It would be further to travel.

WeeBurd
23-Jan-08, 21:27
It seems to me that other interests are trying to bully ASDA into using and buying a site that they never wanted in the first place.

I completely agree, Unicorn, and I think as a result the community will likely end up with no Asda. Very disappointing decision, as Pennyland was to my mind, the perfect site.

I don't particularly understand why that single piece of land is not to be built on, yet they built on the greenfield site across from Dunbar Hospital/ behind Laurie Terrace/ behind Mount Pleasant and are due to build on the moors too aren't they? There are already houses at Burnside in line with the houses on Rockwell Terrace etc., so to me it's logical use of the land in between, rather than prodruding out of town with developements like they're doing just now.

Oh wait, sill me! It isn't about keeping the green lungs of the town, it's about keeping Asda out of the town, because it's absolutely fine to build a hotel etc there :roll:. Strange, weird, bizzare, barmy local plans...

Buttercup
23-Jan-08, 22:19
I completely agree, Unicorn, and I think as a result the community will likely end up with no Asda. Very disappointing decision, as Pennyland was to my mind, the perfect site.

I don't particularly understand why that single piece of land is not to be built on, yet they built on the greenfield site across from Dunbar Hospital/ behind Laurie Terrace/ behind Mount Pleasant and are due to built on the moors too aren't they? There are already houses at Burnside in line with the houses on Rockwell Terrace etc., so to me it's logical use of the land in between, rather than prodruding out of town with developements like they're doing just now.

Oh wait, sill me! It isn't about keeping the green lugs of the town, it's about keeping Asda out of the town, because it's absolutely fine to build a hotel etc there :roll:. Strange, weird, bizzare, barmy local plans...
How right you are Weeburd. Wouldn't be surprised to see Asda in Wick yet, that'll be the next move.;)

Highland Laddie
23-Jan-08, 23:12
How right you are Weeburd. Wouldn't be surprised to see Asda in Wick yet, that'll be the next move.;)

Plenty of room for them, i'm sure a certain councillor will vote for it. ( twice ) lol

Penelope Pitstop
24-Jan-08, 10:57
Sorry: Penelope Pitstop is it to hard for you to consider, that there are sites available for Asda, just outside Thurso or even Castletown, are you a Councillor ? On my planet they would look at all the options available.

Not really interested in overpaid Dounreay employees, as you say some have gone, and as soon as the new sites down south start advertising, they will all be off.

Often think of how Caithness would have been with out Dounreay, would it have been full of Tourists ? admitted Dounreay has brought money into the County over the years, and when they are gone, we will still have the waste, and the Hot spots. Also when it was located in Caithness it was not only to bring money into the County, it was because they did not know, if it would blow up or not. Shows you how concerned they were about the workers, and the people living in the area.

Sorry to disappoint you "concerned resident", but I'm not a councillor!!!! lol:lol: It makes economic sense for a supermarket to put itself where it is likely to attract most trade, i.e. Thurso not Castletown ....otherwise what would be the point of opening a store. In my opinion the Pennyland site would have been perfect. (But I dare say the folk living behind it are used to looking out on a view over the sea!!)

You say you're not really interested in "overpaid Dounreay employees" ...well seeing as the make up a large proportion of the working populaton of Caithness I do take interest in them. :( And NO I'm not a Dounreay worker before you ask!

You wonder what Caithness would have been like without Dounreay....well I'd try quartering the population for a start!! As for "would it have been full of tourists", I don't believe that Dounreay would have put tourists off coming here.

Weebird: I agree at this rate we will end up with no ASDA. They'll get fed up and go somewhere else ......is that what some councillors and some folk of Thurso want tho????? Really what is there to encourage new business to the Thurso end of the county??

Kirsty Dubh
24-Jan-08, 11:24
Would that be the same Councillor who 'almost' didn't get in at the last round of elections and was probably shocked to see that he is not as popular as he thought he was!!!!!!!!!!

TBH
24-Jan-08, 11:41
How right you are Weeburd. Wouldn't be surprised to see Asda in Wick yet, that'll be the next move.;)Asda couldn't get a foothold in Inverness for long enough yet Inverness was flooded with tesco stores. What makes you think they would get into wick?

riggerboy
24-Jan-08, 11:50
i think asda will go to wick as there is plenty of room for them, its only a matter of time and they will give up on thurso and apply for wick, cant wait tesco homebase argos carpet right pets at home asda macdonalds kfc by the year 2010, and more on the horizon, makes you wonder fits happening ????

concerned resident
24-Jan-08, 11:51
Penelope Pitstop:
It would make more sence to have Asda outside Thurso, or even Castletown,
it certainly would save having to drive through to Wick, because thats where it will have to go, and the Wick councillers are not as stupid as the Thurso ones, they want whats best for Wick, not what a small minority want.

Mr P Cannop
24-Jan-08, 14:43
does any one know if the report is online yet ??

Moonboots
24-Jan-08, 21:59
Asda couldn't get a foothold in Inverness for long enough yet Inverness was flooded with tesco stores. What makes you think they would get into wick?

I can remember seeing in the newspaper a few days ago that Somerfield could be getting bought over by Asda. And im talking about all of the Somerfields stores and not just the wick one.

Tony
24-Jan-08, 23:51
Yes Asda are thinking about taking over Somerfield stores.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/retailing/article3228747.ece

TBH
25-Jan-08, 00:05
I can remember seeing in the newspaper a few days ago that Somerfield could be getting bought over by Asda. And im talking about all of the Somerfields stores and not just the wick one.Thanks for the link but as you can see from this post by Rourkee, and his/her link, the same story was circulating in 2005:

http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=327259&postcount=28 (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=327259&postcount=28)

bekisman
25-Jan-08, 16:33
Colin Graham (are you the one who works for Miller)? Wrote: "No doubt one of the other supporter/protestors will host their copy in due course and you can read all 101 pages of the Reporter's decision at your leisure."..

I've just today, received a couple of sheets badly photocopied, stapled together from the Planning Directive, Scottish Government, with the ref: PPA/270/459 did a search on the Scottish Government site and it tells me: "We are sorry, but the decision letter you have requested is not yet available. However, if the appeal search shows that the appeal has been determined, then this is because we allow sufficient time for the decision letter to be posted and received by the main parties to the appeal before making it available on this website."..

But basically it's what's been said before, although mentions;
* a new footway along the western side of Ormlie Road
* an off-road footpath/cycle path from the development to the adjoining proposed housing(?)
* a bus stop and lay-by on Ormlie Road directly to the west of the site.
* provision for cycle and pedestrian access to the site.
* bus shelters on Ormlie Road
* a pedestrian 'Puffin' crossing on Ormlie Road.
* road safety improvements at the Lovers Lane and Ormlie Road Junction..

"The gross retail floor space of 'the supermarket' shall be limited to max of 2,896 square metres" [Tesco Wick: a gross floor area of 6,900 square metres?.]

Not much but we'll all have to wait and see what ASDA does now..

Mr P Cannop
25-Jan-08, 16:43
the 109 pages report is out i get my copy this morning and i have also get it via email from a good friend of mine send me a pm for the report with ur details