PDA

View Full Version : On the way to Caithness

trinkie
08-Oct-05, 12:52
Bill has added some great Brora / Golspie pictures
But on the way to Caithness, can anyone suggest some good places for coffee / lunch / ice cream, fish and chips !
Places of interest - not too far off the main road.
Toilets.
Picnic areas....etc etc

I'm sure folk like me who now live in the south, tend to drive through all the little villages in an effort to reach Caithness as soon as we can.
(Though I have been making the journey for more years than Bill has lived !)

SO what has an old busy-body been missing?

Thank you for any suggestions..
SD

calish6
08-Oct-05, 13:08
Try the 'La-mirage' in Helmsdale.
Nice people, good food etc,etc..
at a reasonable price.

From Bill Fernie
A photo of La Mirage from the disks that had not yet made it to the site now added to let you see it.
http://www.caithness.org/atoz/sutherland/photogallery/photos.htm?29?12

katarina
08-Oct-05, 13:55
The Quiet Piggy in Brora - excelent!!!

Tristan
08-Oct-05, 18:13
About 22 miles north of Inverness there is a garden centre and lunch place which is out of this world. They always have great food - sometimes we just stop for coffee and cake cuz it's just soooo yummy.

I can't remember exactly what it's called is the only problem. It starts with a "T" I think. Can anyone help?

Also, I have to agree about the "Quiet Piggy" in Brora - also top notch food (but more formal)

Sairheed
08-Oct-05, 20:04
I can't remember exactly what it's called is the only problem. It starts with a "T" I think. Can anyone help?

You refer to the Tomich Restaurant and Garden Centre.

linzy222
08-Oct-05, 20:27
Chip shop in Golspie is lovely, we always stop there on the way home and then brora for the famous ice-cream

Saxo01
08-Oct-05, 21:36
I can see ur a health freak like myself linz :D

rainbow
08-Oct-05, 21:42
The Tall Pines beside the petrol station at Evelix - by the Dornoch turn off, is very good. Nothing too fancy, but good hot food at reasonable prices, and they serve you quick. I would recommend it, although I do not stop there too often as I am rushing to get home, however when I have stopped I have enjoyed the food.

kas
08-Oct-05, 21:48
The Tall Pines beside the petrol station at Evelix - by the Dornoch turn off, is very good. Nothing too fancy, but good hot food at reasonable prices, and they serve you quick. I would recommend it, although I do not stop there too often as I am rushing to get home, however when I have stopped I have enjoyed the food.

We stop there very time. On the way to and back, instead of eating in Inverness. I would highly recommend it.

Kenn
08-Oct-05, 22:10
Got to be Capaldi's Ice Cream shop, whether it's rain or shine, minus 5C or plus 20C..we are not back in the north until we have stopped at Golspie or Brora and had an extra large helping.

KitKat
09-Oct-05, 00:10
Was disappointed with the service last couple of times we stopped at the Tall Pines. They seem to have some new staff who don't know how to serve people properly. Last time we were on the road north took a chance on the Wayfarer in Helmsdale. Its opposite La Mirage and unlike, La Mirage its smoke free so you can actually smell the food you are eating. We all had fish dishes and they were superb. Not as pricey as the Quiet Piggy either. I think its worth a try.

Karen M26a
10-Oct-05, 14:25
Berridale Cafe

Easy parking, friendly service, good food.

sandra.jones01
11-Oct-05, 08:11
Tomich is where you will find the garden centre and cafe. The food is good, varied menu, reasonably priced, good service.
The Marine Hotel in Brora do excellent bar meals, and I agree with the others about the Quiet Piggy.
Laidhay cafe is pretty good too.
Sandra

Don Quixote
11-Oct-05, 09:17
Gilbert's in Helmsdale is excellent if you want a snack. It is in the same street as La Mirage, on the opposite side and actually IN an little antique shop.

trinkie
11-Oct-05, 11:54
Thanks to you all for your suggestions.
Some good ideas here and plenty resting places

Much appreciated.
SD