PDA

View Full Version : Dominoes Wick..........

mandy&baz
13-Jan-08, 15:59
Has every1 seen the plans for the poor excuse of a building which used to be dominoes???? Seen it the other day and its going to be a Restaurant, Cinema and a Nightclub......at last the Waterfront will actually have to start doing something to keep all the wickers there instead of going to the Big Beat leisure woohoo!!!! o work is due to commence start of 2008 so should be soon!!!

SNOWDOG
13-Jan-08, 16:27
I wouldnt get my hopes up. This is possibly a stalling tactic due to all the bad press lately. I think painting the outside of a building with blue emulsion pretty much sums it up! :confused

bluelady
13-Jan-08, 18:53
well hope there is going to be a cinema, saves Thurso having the monoply, also hope they will not be as dear as Thurso's though.

spiggie
13-Jan-08, 20:13
It wont happen mark my words, unless someone else buys it over!

whitewitch
13-Jan-08, 22:31
the prices at the all star factory are terrible, we often go to inverness and it is a lot cheaper, cleaner and the bowl go straight haha!!! it could do with a make over!!!

Julia
14-Jan-08, 10:33
Has every1 seen the plans for the poor excuse of a building which used to be dominoes???? Seen it the other day and its going to be a Restaurant, Cinema and a Nightclub......at last the Waterfront will actually have to start doing something to keep all the wickers there instead of going to the Big Beat leisure woohoo!!!! o work is due to commence start of 2008 so should be soon!!!

The plans do look pretty impressive but I too won't be holding my breath. The Waterfront is a dump, I hear the admission price is now £7 :eek:, my idea of hell would be finishing an evening out with a visit to that glorified barn / creche! The whole place needs a drastic facelift to bring it into the 21st century.

Geo
14-Jan-08, 10:52
well hope there is going to be a cinema, saves Thurso having the monoply, also hope they will not be as dear as Thurso's though.

I wouldn't count on it. There is a much smaller customer base up here so that is one reason why the cinema in Thurso is more expensive. I would be surprised if Caithness could even support two cinemas.

The Angel Of Death
14-Jan-08, 11:15
I hear the admission price is now £7.

Yup you do hear correctly at least dick turpin wore a mask when he went out robbin' people

It wouldnt be so bad if they actually had anything on or had some sort of make over but its the same guff every week as well as the same sticky carpets as well its almost like walking on velcro !!!

mandy&baz
14-Jan-08, 12:21
yep they charge £7 entry fee and for what.......exspensive drink......fousty smells and shite music.......full of underagers not my idea of fun.
Its some crown from Dundee who have bought over the premises. They cant knock the place down and start again cause its a listed building so it may take a while.....never the less its something too look forward too.....And as for All Star Factory its shocking!!!! the prices are scandelous!!! they dont hve a great selection of sweets or crisps and their juice is so watered down it tastes disgusting!!! ive not been there for over 2 years and do not intend going back there ever again!!!!

xx_chickie
14-Jan-08, 12:40
yep they charge £7 entry fee and for what.......exspensive drink......fousty smells and shite music.......full of underagers not my idea of fun.
Its some crown from Dundee who have bought over the premises. They cant knock the place down and start again cause its a listed building so it may take a while.....never the less its something too look forward too.....And as for All Star Factory its shocking!!!! the prices are scandelous!!! they dont hve a great selection of sweets or crisps and their juice is so watered down it tastes disgusting!!! ive not been there for over 2 years and do not intend going back there ever again!!!!

The Waterfront...lovely! :confused Haha.

When I go to the All Star Factory, the staff have always seemed to be busy, and still try their best to help customers! It's not the staff's fault about the prices either...I suppose it's just cheaper for the cinema in Inverness, etc because the cinemas are part of a large chain?

rangers07
14-Jan-08, 17:23

Yet another person on here opening their trap and letting dogs dirt fall out :lol::lol: This message board is nothing short of laughable at times (hence the reason i hardly ever post)

Im not the Waterfronts number one fan i will admit but i do go there if im out in Wick and somehow always manage to have a good time! If you cant learn to make the most of what youve got then you should just stay at home and im afriad the Waterfront is all we have.

The Waterfront has been open for what 10/15 years and up untill very recently the price was £5.00 yes thats right a cool fiver which wouldnt buy you 20 regal!!!!! So i guess that the £2.00 increase is acceptable dont you ??? If you work and keep records of your pay then you will have noticed your wages have went up in the last 15 years as will have the staff in the only nightclub in town.

As for the All Star Factory i have one word for you and that is = OVERHEADS. (Think about it) Or infact why dont you drag yourself along to any other cinema in the country and check the prices out.

TOO MANY FOLK IN THIS COUNTY BITE THEIR NOSE OFF TO SPITE THEIR FACE, Its anywonder people are afraid to invest money in the place.

hotrod4
14-Jan-08, 18:32
I would be very surprised if it ever happens. Big beat leisure dont have a landline phone,have you ever heard of a company without a phone?.
You may also find that "big beat leisure" wont be the company that was trading under that name previously in the Glasgow area but a slight variation on the name,i.e add "scotland" at the end.

I do know a bit about the "proposed" project and am aware of the person behind it as it was mentioned to me a couple of years ago by said person.

I would dearly love for it to happen, I hope it does but I wouldnt hold my breath!

With reference to the waterfront it is going the same way as Donnie munros did becoming complacent and not pushing the club forward and providing anything different on a weekly basis,thats why doms shut down!!.

If there not careful numbers will decrease. £7.00 is a few quid but if there was decent entertainment put on weekly I am sure that people wouldnt mind paying that.

Andrew C
14-Jan-08, 18:34
Yup you do hear correctly at least dick turpin wore a mask when he went out robbin' people

It wouldnt be so bad if they actually had anything on or had some sort of make over but its the same guff every week as well as the same sticky carpets as well its almost like walking on velcro !!!

I thought all cinemas had sticky carpets? maybe its just the ones I've been to lol

Julia
14-Jan-08, 19:16
I thought all cinemas had sticky carpets? maybe its just the ones I've been to lol

Talking of sticky carpets, the worst I ever 'heard' was in Glenrothes, every step was a sort of sticky squelchy sound!

catnip
14-Jan-08, 20:06
A couple of weeks ago I saw a man looking at the old dominoes building with big interest. This man used to own/run dominoes. Could this big beat company belong to him ?????

connieb19
14-Jan-08, 21:23
With reference to the waterfront it is going the same way as Donnie munros did becoming complacent and not pushing the club forward and providing anything different on a weekly basis,thats why doms shut down!!.

It shut down because it was burnt to the ground didn't it? :eek:

TBH
14-Jan-08, 21:29
I thought that also?

weeksider
14-Jan-08, 21:36
If it did reopen which films will they show in it ?
Gone with the wind /Towering Inferno/CSI or what

hotrod4
14-Jan-08, 22:04

Not really.
It shut down as Doms due to poor attendance because everyone went to the Waterfront and they wouldnt re-invest.
It then re-opened as Zig Zags and then it burned down.(same owners though!);)

connieb19
14-Jan-08, 22:10
Not really.
It shut down as Doms due to poor attendance because everyone went to the Waterfront and they wouldnt re-invest.
It then re-opened as Zig Zags and then it burned down.(same owners though!);)Ah! Sorry hotrod4, I forgot it was Zig Zags. What was the one in Thurso called again?

Just remembered..it was Eves.

Metalattakk
14-Jan-08, 22:24
And before it was Eve's it was Flicks. Some wag used a marker pen to put a _ joining up the L and the I to make a rather more apt name for the place.

scotsman1
14-Jan-08, 22:53
Do the people who are moaning about the Waterfront not realise that when people are only going there after midnight that the time to make any money is short, the £7 charge is to cover staff costs and overheads. You would all be moaning more if it was closed and you had nowhere to go, then it'll be why has Wick got no nightclub "cause Thurso's got one."
Robert is doing a good job in the Waterfront, give him a bit of time and support, after all at least he is a LOCAL trying to make something of a local business, which employs local people. Good luck to him!

mandy&baz
15-Jan-08, 01:00
Robert is doing a great job of the silver d's but thats it im afraid, there has been nothing done to the waterfront what so ever!! the place smells fousty and they drinks are well over priced and £7 is very exspensive for the waterfront, i dont mind paying £7 for bigger more exciting nightclubs but refuse to pay that for the waterfront......i think we need different venues on in the waterfront and later opening hours.....£7 for 2 hours is scandelous!!!!!! but anyways back to the topic hope big beat leisure does actually happen!!!:lol:

mandy&baz
15-Jan-08, 01:08
to rangers07

At least when you go to a cinema down the line you get to see the latest blockbusters and dont have to wait at least 2 months.

The waterfront has actually been open for nearly 16 year and at that time there were 3 nightclubs on the go them being the waterfront, rosebank and dominoes a.k.a zig zags

Talking about cutting your nose off to spite your face.......when the waterfront first opened it was £5 for a live band and now its £7 for a kiddies disco!!! day light robbery so dont condensend me

rangers07
15-Jan-08, 11:22
to rangers07

At least when you go to a cinema down the line you get to see the latest blockbusters and dont have to wait at least 2 months.

The waterfront has actually been open for nearly 16 year and at that time there were 3 nightclubs on the go them being the waterfront, rosebank and dominoes a.k.a zig zags

Talking about cutting your nose off to spite your face.......when the waterfront first opened it was £5 for a live band and now its £7 for a kiddies disco!!! day light robbery so dont condensend me

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

And they just give you the right to show these "Blockbuster" films for free do they!!! Get a grip we are living in a small comunity i take it you are comparing with the likes of Inverness??

I think £7.00 is a very good price and if 2 hours is not enough for you then why dont you pop along at 11pm when the place opens!!! [lol] Infact dont bother the towns better without moaning skinflints like yourself on the go on a Saturday night.

Saveman
15-Jan-08, 11:32

Yes with a large amount of other peoples equipment inside..... :(

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Jan-08, 12:01
Weren't you the last person to perform in Dominoes, Saveman?

Saveman
15-Jan-08, 12:04
Weren't you the last person to perform in Dominoes, Saveman?

I was one of the last people.......we all got a bit of a shock the next morning when it was a burnout shell

mandy&baz
15-Jan-08, 14:27
i take it you dont have much experience of what nightclubs should be if you are prepared to pay £7 entrance for a kiddies disco.

The Waterfront actually opens at 12 not 11pm.

As for cinemas im comparing to nationwide, there is more to life than this small comunity

i suggest you go an experience a bit of the world and then come back with a valid argument

up yours:D

dunderheed
15-Jan-08, 17:13
wait a minute wasnt it just a fiver to get in on "normal" nights a dearer when there was live music on? anyhoo £7 for a disco isnt too bad these days. when i was in shetland it was around that price to get into posers . to put this into context the dancefloor in posers was about the same size as the dancefloor in the central (well a wee bit bigger).

as for the cinema complaint , yes they take a wee while to get the "blockbusters" up , blame that on your odeons etc buying up the rights to show the newer films first

mandy&baz
15-Jan-08, 20:17
it was origanlly going to be £7 for bands etc but now its £7 all the time.

Highland Laddie
15-Jan-08, 20:40
it was origanlly going to be £7 for bands etc but now its £7 all the time. the extra £2 per head must go to the police to stop them raiding the place for drugs and underagers!! lol

Wow, that's brave of you.

sam
15-Jan-08, 21:02
it was origanlly going to be £7 for bands etc but now its £7 all the time. the extra £2 per head must go to the police to stop them raiding the place for drugs and underagers!! lol

I assume the way you are talking its from experience????????
That's quite a strong statement to make:confused

spiggie
15-Jan-08, 22:13
I personally think that £7 at the moment is too much to pay for the waterfront, especially when they only have the bottom part open. Yes i am complaining and yes i do pay £7 to get in but hey if im paying then surley i can have a grump. yes ur right it does smell - really bad and the music is crap! but its all weve got im afraid!

I think it would do better if they had bands playing on a regular basis, and im sure ppl would pay more to see them.

Are there actually underagers in the waterfront??? i dont know, 18 year olds all look so young now a days!

mandy&baz
16-Jan-08, 18:36
totally agree they need to take in more bands etc.....and yes there is planty underagers!!! i got dragged in at new year by my mates and found my 13 year old cousin in the place!!! i was disgusted!! and i know we all did it ourselves when we were about 15 but i never actually got in the place!!! and for a 13 year old to be in a nightclub is shocking!!! and the thing that got me was she dont even look 13 and she was getting served at the bar!!!! but anyhoo bring on the big beat leisure center!!! lol :lol:

hotrod4
16-Jan-08, 21:53
I was one of the last people.......we all got a bit of a shock the next morning when it was a burnout shell

I was working there that fateful last night.
Cant remember much about it though as I was (couldnt resist:)) BLAZING!!!!!!!

hotrod4
16-Jan-08, 22:00
Do the people who are moaning about the Waterfront not realise that when people are only going there after midnight that the time to make any money is short, the £7 charge is to cover staff costs and overheads. You would all be moaning more if it was closed and you had nowhere to go, then it'll be why has Wick got no nightclub "cause Thurso's got one."
Robert is doing a good job in the Waterfront, give him a bit of time and support, after all at least he is a LOCAL trying to make something of a local business, which employs local people. Good luck to him!

I agree with what you say about people arriving late and overheads,etc as I worked in the industry for nearly 10 years.I do think that there should be more emphasis on "live" music as that was one of his reasons for opening. It was opened stating that it would cater for mainly over 25's and bring in some top live bands.At the beginning that did happen and it was fantastic but then it dwindled down to just Dj's even though the public were backing him in big numbers on live events.

Part of the reason for the decline in Donnie munros was no change,no live music and basically no interest from the owners who rested on their laurels,which it seems is happening at the waterfront.
C0-incidentally the biggest night in Donnie munro's when it became Zig Zag's was the night of the fire because there was loads of live bands on that night and the public turned out to support the bands NOT the owner.

Wick needs entertainment and personally I dont care if they are a LOCAL as long as they provide quality entertainment and support local acts then good luck to them.

zappster
17-Jan-08, 10:52
A couple of weeks ago I saw a man looking at the old dominoes building with big interest. This man used to own/run dominoes. Could this big beat company belong to him ?????Think you've well & Truely hit the nail on the head there!

TBH
17-Jan-08, 11:56
I was one of the last people.......we all got a bit of a shock the next morning when it was a burnout shellYou set the place on fire with your performance.:lol: Did you do a hendrix with a tin of lighter fluid?