PDA

View Full Version : What is your carbon footprint?

Rheghead
13-Jan-08, 14:13
This is the best carbon footprint calculator that I can find without being too detailed. It takes into account a lot of where our carbon footprint comes from, house, travel lifestyle etc. Mine is 4.81 tonnes, just not good enough. I am trying to be as carbon neutral as I can but tbh some things are largely out of our control in society to do anything about it. I haven't flown anywhere for 3 years so I am fairly low carbon that way.

Advice: just be careful with the drop down menu options.

http://www.carbonfootprint.com/calculator.aspx

mums angels
13-Jan-08, 14:33
mine was 4.516 however my husband flys to Africa every month but as its with work and its not us directly contributing i never added it in and didn't bother with the second car that sits in the driveway and never moves ..:lol:

Julia
13-Jan-08, 14:37
My carbon footprint is 3.486 tonnes, I am quite pleased with that!

I think I've overestimated the amount of electricity used, once I've a new heating system my bill will be drastically reduced as I am all electric at the moment.

Andrew C
13-Jan-08, 14:52
Well, having had to take a return trip to Bristol twice this year for a court case, my footprint was as much as 8.521. I don't anticipate flying anywhere this year, so here's hoping that will reduce.

Thanks for pointing out the tool...I'll certainly be looking to see what I can do to reduce my foot print. Incidentally, 8.521 is still less than the average, so not quite so bad! Need to go to Homebase and buy some trees!

Andrew

Thumper
13-Jan-08, 15:32
3.156....pretty good eh? ;) x

Boozeburglar
13-Jan-08, 15:44
According to a quick reckoning, mine is nearly 14.

I cannot see how some of you are getting such low figures.

Margaret M.
13-Jan-08, 15:46
Good site, Rheghead. My footprint was 7.085 -- 3.291 of that was my car, a Jaguar which I know is an offender. I've had it for a few years and the mileage on it is still quite low so I hate to get rid of it. I've been doing some online comparisons on cars, gas mileage, etc., so maybe one day soon. 1.445 was for flights -- I have no choice if I want to see family. Compared to the U.S. average of 20.4 tonnes, I look pretty good.

dozy
13-Jan-08, 15:47
A staggering 2.193 good or what ..

kriklah
13-Jan-08, 16:10
4.432 for me

to begin with i was getting a result of 259!!! untill i realised i was putting in the cost of my coal rather than the figure in tonnes.:lol:

Angela
13-Jan-08, 16:21
2.633 for me :) -but no flights last year, no car, very little other travelling...and I'm not at all sure how to allow for taxis....so I haven't.....:confused

NickInTheNorth
13-Jan-08, 16:23
A very easy to use calculator - thanks Rheghead

A reasonable 2.53, which I am determined to reduce this year.

I haven't flown anywhere for 14 years.
My annual mileage is less than 5000 (and that is an overestimate)
I've guestimated my annual electricity use at £1200 but home to come in under a £1000 - I use no other domestic fuel source

My main targets this year are to put in place a much more efficient heating system, grow far more of my own food, buy local produce whenever possible, and make sure that even more of my waste is recycled - which would be so much easier if the council got there act together with plastic recycling.

golach
13-Jan-08, 16:27
Wow 2.950 footprint, I must be doing something correctly [lol]

changilass
13-Jan-08, 16:28
Ours came out at 11.36, but I added in the car mileage and hubbies bus to work, as there is 3 of us in the house do I divide it by 3 or are we just really bad.

Also it don't have anywher to take into account all the plants and trees I have planted which would offset some of this.

Why do I have to pay someone else to plant a tree when I can do it in my own garden.

Loch not Lock
13-Jan-08, 16:30
3.951 - could be better but not too bad.

Highland Laddie
13-Jan-08, 16:32
3.891 tonnes

Boozeburglar
13-Jan-08, 16:46
A very easy to use calculator - thanks Rheghead

A reasonable 2.53, which I am determined to reduce this year.

I haven't flown anywhere for 14 years.
My annual mileage is less than 5000 (and that is an overestimate)
I've guestimated my annual electricity use at £1200 but home to come in under a £1000 - I use no other domestic fuel source

My main targets this year are to put in place a much more efficient heating system, grow far more of my own food, buy local produce whenever possible, and make sure that even more of my waste is recycled - which would be so much easier if the council got there act together with plastic recycling.

Wow. What car do you drive?

£1000 of electricity gives over 3 tonnes...

NickInTheNorth
13-Jan-08, 16:57
Wow. What car do you drive?

£1000 of electricity gives over 3 tonnes...

£1200 of Electricity gives 0.614 tonnes when I try it...

As to the car I drive an old Kia Pride which driven carefully returns around 45 mpg, and I apologise, I used 3000 miles, not the 5000 miles stated) which is a closer estimate to what mileage i do in a year.

Boozeburglar
13-Jan-08, 17:02
Aha, I never saw the option for number in household, thought it was a bit high! lol

changilass
13-Jan-08, 17:05
Just checked and £1200 in electricity gives 2.779

Can I use your calculator please Nick cos then my figure wouldnt be so high

Ooops just seen previous post about number in house

NickInTheNorth
13-Jan-08, 17:08
Just checked and £1200 in electricity gives 2.779

Can I use your calculator please Nick cos then my figure wouldnt be so high

Ooops just seen previous post about number in house

Try having 6 people in the household!

changilass
13-Jan-08, 17:10
There is my problem, I don't have enough kids, I always did want enough to have my own rugby team but it wasn't to be :lol:

Green_not_greed
13-Jan-08, 17:10
I'm pleased to say 2.78 Tonnes.

A year ago it would have been 5 times that but since I changed jobs I no longer fly and my annual mileage has dropped to about 5000.

GNG

lasher
13-Jan-08, 17:30
Mines somewhere between 15 and 20, is that good?

Julia
13-Jan-08, 18:01
My carbon footprint is 3.486 tonnes, I am quite pleased with that!

I think I've overestimated the amount of electricity used, once I've a new heating system my bill will be drastically reduced as I am all electric at the moment.

WooHoo, mine is actually 3.198, I forgot to add one of my children to my household's footprint!

Green_not_greed
13-Jan-08, 18:08
I forgot to add one of my children to my footprint!

Is this a household footprint or an individual footprint? If its the former then I need to recalculate!

Julia
13-Jan-08, 18:09
Is this a household footprint or an individual footprint? If its the former then I need to recalculate!

It's based on my household, myself and two children

Green_not_greed
13-Jan-08, 18:20
Our household (4 people) is 10.8.

Rheghead
13-Jan-08, 19:19
Total secondary footprint = 2.514 tonnes of CO2

My biggest contribution is my secondary footprint and I think I live like a monk so goodness knows what the rest of your lives are like?:lol::roll:

My household carbon footprint is 11.3 tonnes.

Bobbyian
13-Jan-08, 19:21
Mine comes out at 8.12 for 3 persons which is not bad but we haven`t flonw for ages and rarely use the motorcaravan and most things can be collected on foot, but the draw back its absolutely terrible for the scenery .

Torvaig
13-Jan-08, 19:22
2.239 but it doesn't make allowances for the dog!;)

connieb19
13-Jan-08, 19:26
How many bags of coal are in a ton?

changilass
13-Jan-08, 19:37
The footprint figure I gave was for everything on all the tabs so does that mean we aint so bad after all??

Billy Boy
13-Jan-08, 19:43
my household total is 11.901. that's without counting my rear end emissions :eek:

Rheghead
13-Jan-08, 19:44
The footprint figure I gave was for everything on all the tabs so does that mean we aint so bad after all??

don't worry, you were being honest.:)

Rheghead
13-Jan-08, 19:51

Ten sacks of coal to a tonne.

connieb19
13-Jan-08, 19:53
Ten sacks of coal to a tonne.Thanks Rheghead. My carbon footprint is 15.594.

NickInTheNorth
13-Jan-08, 19:59
Ten sacks of coal to a tonne.

I'd hate to meet your coalman Rheghead if he's delivering 100kg bags of coal :eek:

Old fashioned sacks weigh 50kg, many now come in 25kg, or even 15kg sacks to comply with health and safety rules.

So at least 20 sacks to a tonne (and if it asks for ton then still 20 sacks as that suggests the sacks should be 1 cwt - 20 cwt to a ton)

Rheghead
13-Jan-08, 20:04
yes you are correct, I just got the info from a conversion weights website that listed a sack of coal to be 224lbs. :lol: I just assumed they were a standard size since I don't use it.

Connie, the weight will be on the side of the sack, no?

connieb19
13-Jan-08, 20:06
yes you are correct, I just got the info from a conversion weights website that listed a sack of coal to be 224lbs. :lol: I just assumed they were a standard size since I don't use it.

Connie, the weight will be on the side of the sack, no?I never see the sack. It's just emptied into the coal bunker every week.

NickInTheNorth
13-Jan-08, 20:09
I never see the sack. It's just emptied into the coal bunker every week.

If it's open sacks from a proper old fashioned coal merchants then the chances are it is 50kg, therefore 20 sacks.

If it comes in sealed plastic sacks then they tend to be either 25kg or getting far more common 15kg

connieb19
13-Jan-08, 20:11
If it's open sacks from a proper old fashioned coal merchants then the chances are it is 50kg, therefore 20 sacks.

If it comes in sealed plastic sacks then they tend to be either 25kg or getting far more common 15kgIt's from the coalman. I'll go back and change my footprint then. Thanks nick.

Och!! it's still the same.

Cinders392
13-Jan-08, 20:20
Ours is around 9.265!!
We are an all electric house with a family of 4. Recycle everything but my partner runs the car alot!

riggerboy
13-Jan-08, 20:51
good god mercy me mine comes in at 12.965, think i need to cut out on something, this doesnt include travel on the helicopter coz i dont really know how far we travel

Green_not_greed
13-Jan-08, 21:03

20 - either as "hundredweight" bags for an old ton, or as 50kg bags for a metric Tonne!

karia
13-Jan-08, 21:40
Wow!

Do some of you have a spinning wheel at home?:eek:

It'll be to the left of your 3rd hand tumble drier and just next to your composter..you might have to move the organic seasonal veg and the Penny Farthing cycle out of the road to find it.;)

Seriously, well done guys!

We are not quite so virtuous here but will try harder.

Anne x
13-Jan-08, 21:54
mine 5.400 really surprised but have signed up for newsletter and have planted loads of trees

Thumper
13-Jan-08, 21:55
Wow!

Do some of you have a spinning wheel at home?

It'll be to the left of your 3rd hand tumble drier and just next to your composter..you might have to move the organic seasonal veg and the Penny Farthing cycle out of the road to find it.

Nope...we just all have candles and no electric ;)[lol] x

WeeBurd
13-Jan-08, 22:00
Wow!

Do some of you have a spinning wheel at home?

It'll be to the left of your 3rd hand tumble drier and just next to your composter..you might have to move the organic seasonal veg and the Penny Farthing cycle out of the road to find it.

Hahaha! I was begining to wonder how everyone is getting such low scores, but now I know, lol! ;)

I came out at 8.8 (approx). I feel we live relatively modestly and efficiently, so I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Congrats to those how are scoring well though.:D

Rheghead
14-Jan-08, 08:14
I've just saved 0.11 tonnes of CO2 by plugging the tv, sky, dvd etc into a multisocket and then I plugged that into one of those security 'We are in, but we are really on holiday' timer devices which is timed to switch off between 0100hrs and 0700 hours. Such a simple thing to do and saves me £35 per year in the process. :Razz

Nick, I will get that powerdown device to you this week.

Julia
14-Jan-08, 10:27
I've just saved 0.11 tonnes of CO2 by plugging the tv, sky, dvd etc into a multisocket and then I plugged that into one of those security 'We are in, but we are really on holiday' timer devices which is timed to switch off between 0100hrs and 0700 hours. Such a simple thing to do and saves me £35 per year in the process.

I have something similar on my pc, once the pc switches off all the peripherals switch off completely too. Switching appliances off instead of leaving them on standby does save money, I think it costs something like 50% of the power needed to watch a tv as to keep it on standby. I always switch my monitor off when not in use too.

Torvaig
14-Jan-08, 12:37
P.S. Although I am very aware of my "carbon footprint" per se, I have been saving the world every since I got a home of my own as, when I lived with my parents, every light etc., that wasn't needed was switched off (stand-by hadn't been invented then) and I still do the same as I now pay the bills!

And it has nothing to do with income, just frugality.....:lol:

Sapphire2803
14-Jan-08, 18:10
Mine was 2.650, it's easy to be green when your skint ;)
I suppose it helps that the heating is run through the rayburn which burns mostly wood and that all the lights the kids leave on are CFLs.
I have no car, haven't had for a while purely because I can't get the money together to buy one and hubby's car is a 1.5 diesel noddy car which gets 60-70 to the gallon.

cullbucket
14-Jan-08, 18:17
Well our family of 4 comes in at 31, 15 of which was for a trip from Alaska to South Africa... plus I am on a 2 hour commuter flight to work and back every 2 weeks and our truck and cars do 10 and 17 MPG..... so I guess we are pretty bad offenders... I will sell the vehicles this year and get something a bit more efficient....

Tristan
14-Jan-08, 20:10
For a family of 3 we are at 5.241 tonnes. Mind you 1.5 tonnes is for running the cars and 2 tonnes is for their manufacture.
I was amazed at the impact of secondary sources which amount for almost half my footprint. Just goes to show all those politicians who bought their new hybrid cars to show how green they were probably had a bigger impact if they had run their old "gas" guzzlers.

Riffman
15-Jan-08, 02:12
Well I am proud to have 10.3 tonnes.

I love flying and have no bad feelings about it, the CO2 being emitted will do nothing to the plant, the oceans give off more CO2 anyway.....

I save energy purely to save money. I don't believe in wasting it, so I do make sure that my journey has a purpose.