PDA

View Full Version : Misdirected letter from a bank

ecb
12-Jan-08, 17:59
I am having a bit of bother with a bank which has recently sent letters to my address for someone who doesn't live at my address (and to the best of my knowledge, going back for almost five years) has never lived at my address.

On two occasions, I have put the unopened letter in an envelope and sent it to the bank with a letter stating that the person doesn't live here and that I don't know them. When I returned from my Christmas holiday, there was another letter from the bank for that person. If I was a customer of that bank (thankfully I am not, but I believe that there parent company might be interested in taking over other UK banks), I would not want my bank correspondence being sent to the wrong address, alternatively I thought that someone could be committing some type of financial crime, somehow using my address.

Any one have any ideas about what I should do next about this?

henry20
12-Jan-08, 18:10
I used to get letters sent to my house for an ex lodger that was in debt. I used to worry about it because I thought it would tarnish my credit rating. I phoned the company and told them the person no longer lived there - he'd scarpered south leaving a trail of debt [disgust], but I kept getting letters - I phoned again and said to stop sending letters as he was no longer at the address and I didn't want my credit rating affected - turns out that it only affects you if you have a financial connection (joint loan, mortgage etc) or share the same last name.

So, in theory, if your last name is Bloggs and you bought a house previously lived in by a debt riddled Mr Bloggs, your credit rating would be affected :confused

In your case, I wouldn't worry about it!!

Thumper
12-Jan-08, 18:13
I would just write not known at this address on the original envelope and then pop it back in the post box x

starry
12-Jan-08, 18:14
I would return it by recorded post. I am paranoid about identity fraud though.

Thumper
12-Jan-08, 19:06
Sometimes the Post Office dont exactly help when it comes to your address being used when it shouldnt be,recently my ex used my address to get a bank account I found out and wasnt happy as he left me with horrendous debts!Then a few weeks ago i got a letter from the PO saying he had put a redirection on this address, I contacted them to say that he hadnt lived here for over 2 years so I dont see why he needs a redirection and that I was worried he was "up to something" they wrote back saying..."sorry but he is within his rights" THEN the next week they redirected MY mail to his new address as well as his![mad] x

karia
12-Jan-08, 19:26
The girl who lived in this house before me sadly committed suicide aged 21 and leaving a 2 year old son.

Scottish gas however proceeded to send letter after letter to her at this address..despite me explaining the circumstances.

It became like the 'dead parrot' sketch as I had to reiterate 'deceased, no longer breathing, departed this earth..nothing got through and then they started asking for a forwarding address.:eek:

We went down much the same lines with that..heaven, hell etc.

Finally after about 6 months of this nonsense they asked if I could pass the letter onto her relatives...I don't think so!:roll:

She owed them the grand total of £13!

This has stayed with me as it sickened me heartily.

golach
12-Jan-08, 20:27
I am having a bit of bother with a bank which has recently sent letters to my address for someone who doesn't live at my address (and to the best of my knowledge, going back for almost five years) has never lived at my address.

On two occasions, I have put the unopened letter in an envelope and sent it to the bank with a letter stating that the person doesn't live here and that I don't know them. When I returned from my Christmas holiday, there was another letter from the bank for that person. If I was a customer of that bank (thankfully I am not, but I believe that there parent company might be interested in taking over other UK banks), I would not want my bank correspondence being sent to the wrong address, alternatively I thought that someone could be committing some type of financial crime, somehow using my address.

Any one have any ideas about what I should do next about this?

Just mark on the envelope, "Not known at this address" and put it back in the piller box, Do not put a stamp on the envelope, and the bank will have to pay the Post Office to recieve this mail, If you do it often enough they should get the message.

Phoenix200416
12-Jan-08, 20:42
When I moved into my flat I got a letter from the gas company about a bill that hadn't been paid for the months November through to January. Now I moved in in the Febuary so this had nothing to do with me. I took the letter to the council and they said they would sort it out. They didn't I kept getting them and I continued to take them to thwe council. Eventually, the letters stopped *touch wood* at least, I haven't had one in a while anyway.

justine
13-Jan-08, 01:11
you could try phoning the bank, explain you keep getting letters for someone who no longer lives at the address..Tell them you keep sending them back but it does not stop.Tell them when you moved in and that you no longer wish letters to come...I do this when i get debt letters for the previous tenant..I dont recieve them now...

Valerie Campbell
13-Jan-08, 13:20
We get letters from a bank for the previous owner here. I've returned them unopened on several occasions but they never took the hint. So now I just rip them up and bin them.

twiglet
13-Jan-08, 14:07
Had this at a previous address and was told to write on envelope, 'not at this address, please amend account'. Agree, it is very annoying and am having the same problem here as this was a rental property before we bought it. the message will get through eventualy.

wifie
13-Jan-08, 15:27
Contact the customer relations unit of the Bank concerned and tell them what has happened. As a minimum I would expect a letter of apology and confirmation that no such letters will be sent to your address and that this will have no detrimental effect on your credit rating. I you have incurred material or financial distress or inconvenience because of this also seek compensation from them. Get a copy of your credit report which you can do online - for peace of mind if nothing else.

Yoda the flump
13-Jan-08, 23:53
The banks should really act on this, as they are required to know where their account holders live to avoid money laundering.

Try suggesting that if you contact then.