PDA

View Full Version : Wester

Tugmistress
12-Jan-08, 17:39
What does or will that yellow pipeline carry?

badger
12-Jan-08, 17:56
Oil. They appear from time to time gradually spreading out and then there'll be a warning that it's about to be taken out to sea. Amazing how long they get.

Tugmistress
12-Jan-08, 18:21
Thank you badger, i had sort of guessed oil with it being subsea, but thought i had better check first before keywording my pics :D

DocStone
12-Jan-08, 18:41
Well, if it is yellow, possibly custard? :D

Torvaig
13-Jan-08, 02:46
The yellow pipelines that you see are called "bundles" and carry pipes and cables which can transport oil or gas, plus thermal insulation, hydraulic control tubing and even an active heating system to protect the contents when the line is towed out to sea. Each "bundle" is built according to the requirements of the customer and can be of varying lengths, contents and girth.

The launching of the bundles is a very precise operation and requires many skills by the team responsible for their construction. When a launch is due sometimes the tow-heads used are transported by road through Wick and is a popular spectator sport with garden walls being taken down and then rebuilt when these enormous constructions are past.

I think the towheads for the bundles being launched early this year may be arriving by sea which makes for much less disruption.

Torvaig
13-Jan-08, 03:09
Well, if it is yellow, possibly custard? :D
Don't think so....never heard of any tarts being carried in them! :lol:

Valerie Campbell
13-Jan-08, 13:12
The yellow pipelines that you see are called "bundles" and carry pipes and cables which can transport oil or gas, plus thermal insulation, hydraulic control tubing and even an active heating system to protect the contents when the line is towed out to sea. Each "bundle" is built according to the requirements of the customer and can be of varying lengths, contents and girth.

The launching of the bundles is a very precise operation and requires many skills by the team responsible for their construction. When a launch is due sometimes the tow-heads used are transported by road through Wick and is a popular spectator sport with garden walls being taken down and then rebuilt when these enormous constructions are past.

I think the towheads for the bundles being launched early this year may be arriving by sea which makes for much less disruption.

Yes, one of the tow heads for this Jura West bundle is approx. 40 metres long and will weigh roughly 150 tons hence why it's coming in by sea.

peedie man
13-Jan-08, 13:15
The towheads arrived on friday,straight on to the beach

northener
13-Jan-08, 15:55
Yes, one of the tow heads for this Jura West bundle is approx. 40 metres long and will weigh roughly 150 tons hence why it's coming in by sea.

Pity that it didn't come in by road, we could have built a new town centre after we'd demolished enough buildings to get it through..........

Was talking to one of the Subsea 7 guys yesterday, he said the beaching op went almost like clockwork - the weather couldn't have been better.