PDA

View Full Version : closure of Kessock Bridge tonight

NickInTheNorth
12-Jan-08, 16:18
Am I just a totally boring humourless individual, or does anyone else agree that the closure of the Kessock Bridge for 2 hours tonight for a fireworks display is an insult to all people that rely on it for transport, either from Caithness to points south of Inverness or vice versa.

From here anywhere south is a long journey and to my mind to close it for 2 hours for a wee jolly is plain disgusting.

riggerboy
12-Jan-08, 16:25
get a life man

changilass
12-Jan-08, 16:26
Life has to be about more than just the boring bits. Its not as if there isnt another way into inverness other than the bridge.

At the end of the day, the Edi festival started off in a small way and look how much tourism that has brought to the area, I say good on them for helping with the feelgood factor, we all need some good cheer.

I just wish we could have gone to enjoy it, but hopefully there will be a video somewhere so we can all watch the fun.

henry20
12-Jan-08, 16:28
I'm assuming that emergency services will still be allowed to use it?

I see no other reason for it to be a problem unless emergency services were hindered. I'd rather a road be closed for 2 hours for fireworks than an unexpected 2 hour closure due to an accident.

badger
12-Jan-08, 17:14
Don't see why they couldn't have held this somewhere that would not involve closing our main route south - but then when did we ever matter to Inverness?

Actually, to be even more boring and humourless :( , I don't see why they have to waste so much money on fireworks even for a celebration. Does the display have to be so large and expensive (yes I know they're the best firework company in the world, or something) - why not a big sing-song with a pipeband?

cuddlepop
12-Jan-08, 17:38
No the bridge shouldn't be closed.

No Inverness should not be spending £300 000 of Inverness's common good fund money on an end of celebration to The Highland Year Of Culture.

How many people from area's such as ours which are on average 2 and a half hours drive away and cost roughly £40 in fuel to enjoy "Inverness's "fireworks display.:mad:

Why couldn't every area been allocated money or use their own common good fund to enjoy their own "display" to the end of The Highland Year of Culture.

Does Highland Council begin and end with Inverness ?

So angry on principal here we're NOT going.

changilass
12-Jan-08, 17:49
I would guess that all the wee areas within Edi thought this way about the festival there, but had they shared it out amongst all the areas then the Edi festival would not be what it is today and the whole of Scotland would have missed out on the tourism that this has generated.

These things tend to start in bigger areas then go out into the less populated areas as more money is generated.

We can't all have everyting all the time, we have chosen not to live in the higher populated areas and therfore don't have all the resources available to those areas.

I for one prefer to live where I am and make an effort to go see the things that interest me in the more populated areas in the knowledge that I can escape back to my quieter life here.

DeHaviLand
12-Jan-08, 18:17
This gets my prize for most pointless poll ever. Are you even going to Inverness tonight?

NickInTheNorth
12-Jan-08, 18:21
This gets my prize for most pointless poll ever. Are you even going to Inverness tonight?

Have a prize back for the most pointless post ever. If you don't wish to take part don't bother.

DeHaviLand
12-Jan-08, 18:24
aaah, the babies crying :~(

changilass
12-Jan-08, 18:25
Why is it pointless??

Agree that it aint gonna make a difference to wether or not bridge is closed but everyones point of view on it is valid - even the ones that disagree with mine :lol:

cuddlepop
12-Jan-08, 18:40

I see no other reason for it to be a problem unless emergency services were hindered. I'd rather a road be closed for 2 hours for fireworks than an unexpected 2 hour closure due to an accident.

If the bridge is closed the bridge is closed according to OH.
Dont know how long a detour is .

Riffman
12-Jan-08, 18:59
NO--

I think we should be able to drive through the fireworks.

scotsboy
12-Jan-08, 19:11
No real hardship travelling through Dingwall...........sure we used to do it all the time anyway...........its always nice to take a trip via Struie now and again as well...........with J Fats playing as you reach the summit!

starry
12-Jan-08, 19:17
I am happy enough to have it closed, I think it is a great way to mark the end of the year of culture.

lady penelope
12-Jan-08, 23:00
It has been advertised for weeks so if anyone had to travel over the bridge the would just have to leave earlier or later to avoid delays. This is the first time ever the Kessock bridge has been completely closed apart from accidents or high winds. I bet the fireworks were stunning.:)

Cattach
12-Jan-08, 23:02
I am happy enough to have it closed, I think it is a great way to mark the end of the year of culture.

The year of culture was a real damp squip and now they are trying to finish it with an expensive bang at high cost to the public from whichever pocket the money comes. Your money and mine to indulged the people of Inverness. The city is already drawing the the lifeblood out of the Highlands and this is another sign of the extravagance of our councillors who will surely be there on big expenses.

starry
12-Jan-08, 23:43
I suppose it depends what you are looking for :)

emszxr
13-Jan-08, 00:25
it was a pretty good display, best i have ever seen. the kids loved it, just shame it didnt last longer than 10 mins. 2 hours to get home with all the traffic though, but to be expected.

brandy
13-Jan-08, 00:37
i dont see how you can really compare it to the edinburgh festival.. with the outlaying communities there being upset..
when the highlands cover hundreds of miles instead of several.
the budget is always short of money, and things are always being refused because theres not enough to go around, so things that are needed are left unfinished.
i do understand how celebrations are morale boosters, and it livens up ones life.
however, at the end of the day.. the council has to see to the Whole of the Higlands NEEDS, before they can see to their wants.
In wick alone, we have dereliect buildings, roads with holes big enough to park in. the cemetary flooding everytime it rains, schools desprate for funding for issues like road saftey and im sure the hospitals need tons of funding. there will be an endless list of things that Need money, to provide a service for the comunity to help it thrive and survive. I would much rather celebrate once the work needing done is done.

Fran
13-Jan-08, 04:07

I think it will be a spectacular scene from the bridge BUT I am a bit concerned in an emergency an ambulance would not reach the other side quickly as going the long way round would take time. i trust the emergency services were consulted first. Hope no one had a fire or a heart attack on the other side of the bridge when it was closed.

Macwull
13-Jan-08, 21:54
Wel we were down last night and it was a really good display, best fireworks i've ever and probably ever will see in person! (don't think the gala will be spending 300,000 on them anytime soon!)

Think they could've used the bridge a bit more but it was smart! Well smart! :)

Some people might say its a waste of money but if it wasn't spent on that it'd prob just spent on some other waste! (MP's expenses or something that nobody would benefit from!) Least whoever wanted to had the chance to see 14mins of an excellent display!

Got to admit I was a bit sceptical at first and i would of prefered if there were more activites and stuff during the year of culture in caithness and other areas but theres no sense in complaining! I've realsied its gonna get us no where far!!

Just sit back, relax and enjoy! ! !

Type highland lights into youtube to view videos or go to mfr.co.uk

Rheghead
13-Jan-08, 23:13
Thanks Bill or Niall for the coverage of the fireworks on the Org homepage.