PDA

View Full Version : Bark or Gravel ?

starry
12-Jan-08, 15:33
I am covering bit at the front with ground cover, the black breathable stuff.
My pots and tubs will sit on it and there are two bush kind of tree things already there (you can tell how much I know about gardening can't you :roll:)

I like the idea of putting bark down instead of gravel simply because it is easier but is there any reason I should put gravel ?

I don't want to go and lay it all with bark and then find out I should have used stones instead.

Help :~(

Julia
12-Jan-08, 16:28
I just had the same dilemma, I opted for decorative gravel with a wooden border to hold it all in. I've used bark previously and a lot of it got blown away with the Caithness winds, the weeds can also root in it and in my opinion it's a bit higher maintenance than gravel although probably cheaper.

I just used two ton of gravel costing £30 per ton, well worth the money as I'm really pleased with the result. I used the flat wooden borders from Homebase @ £2.99 for a six foot piece, I cut bamboo down to 10" sticks hammered into the ground to support the wooden border, the gravel supports it from the other side.

changilass
12-Jan-08, 16:31
Up here I would go for gravel every time. Bark gets blown all over in the wind and goes slimy and horrible in the wet allowing weeds to grow in it.

I would go for gravel every time. If cost is a factor and you like slate, go to the quaries and ask them for prices, I know for us it is working out cheeeper than gravel or bark.

Torvaig
12-Jan-08, 17:33
:eek:Thought the heading said "Bark or grovel"; was going to post "my dog does both"......:lol:

(Note to self; make appointment with optician.)

starry
12-Jan-08, 17:55
:eek:Thought the heading said "Bark or grovel"; was going to post "my dog does both"......

(Note to self; make appointment with optician.)

No don't ! What will I laugh at if your not misreading thread titles ;)

£30 per tonne is a lot cheaper than I thought gravel would be.

Dadie
12-Jan-08, 19:05
gravel stops cats pooping in the area bark looks pretty but can smell earthy and needs topped up more often..

starry
12-Jan-08, 19:25
I reckon I will go with the gravel, it is quite a wet garden and I am worried the bark with go slimy.

Does anyone know where will deliver and put it in the garden for me ?

Not lay it just put the bags in the garden, or whatever gravel comes in :confused

lady penelope
12-Jan-08, 22:49
Bark can be bad for ticks if you have pets or children gravel is the better option. Slugs don't like gravel so your plants won't be so badly scoffed!;)

Julia
12-Jan-08, 22:53
I had mine delivered as close to my house as they could possibly get, unfortunately my garden is up a narrow alleyway so we had to wheelbarrow it in, but he moved the bags real close using a wee fork lift truck, it was delivered in 2 huge one ton bags. I was covering most of my back garden, which is also very wet, so you prob won't need anywhere near that amount. I got mine from from the place in Harrow Hill, wick.

starry
13-Jan-08, 14:24
I think I need one of those lorries with the little cranes that can lift it over the wall [disgust]
I was going to get stuck in today but is pouring down. So I will have to make do with a day on the couch instead lol !
Shame eh

htwood
13-Jan-08, 18:34
Gravel will give less problems, although I find the cats still poop in it, but I spray those spots with bleach. My parent's garden had bark for a few years, it was nothing but trouble with slugs and golachs and blowing onto the paths. And now that the bark is gone, any piece left buried is sprouting mushrooms and going slimy. yicks.

Dog-eared
14-Jan-08, 19:12
Thurso building supplies ( 894048 ) deliver ton bags of sand so possibly gravel too.
Their lorry has a wee crane to lift over walls.
Dont buy it in sacks as it's very ,very expensive.
Or what about Caithness Flagstone in half inch hardcore. It goes a nice light brown colour and is cheap. Try A&D Sutherland Spittal quarry (841 239 ) :D

starry
15-Jan-08, 14:21
Thanks Dog-eared I will have a look

Mik.M.
15-Jan-08, 22:33
Starry, when I used to work for a builders merchant I would lift the bag over the garden and split the bag with a knife,then all the customer had to do was spread it out using a shovel. It makes it so much easier. You will need some of the fabric to lay down first to stop weeds and lay your gravel on. Don`t use plastic as water will pool in it. Mik

starry
16-Jan-08, 19:44
Starry, when I used to work for a builders merchant I would lift the bag over the garden and split the bag with a knife,then all the customer had to do was spread it out using a shovel. It makes it so much easier. You will need some of the fabric to lay down first to stop weeds and lay your gravel on. Don`t use plastic as water will pool in it. Mik

I have the breathable stuff, it is like black webbing - kind of:confused

Do you think all builders merchants will do that ?

Mik.M.
16-Jan-08, 22:58
Yes, Starry they should sell it. If you measure your garden they should be able to tell you how many rolls and how much gravel you would need. Don`t get too much coz if you do it`s a job to rebag it to get rid of it .

justine
19-Jan-08, 19:53
i am probably the only one who will say bark. I used it for a driveway and not only does it not get blown away in the wind, or water logged in the winter, but i get a flat even drive with no weeds growing up.We put a 2in layer a shingle on the soil and then layered on the bark. 2 yrs and not one problem.Cant wiat to get it in the back garden for a play area for the kids....the aroma off it in the summer is fantastic, if you like the natural smell of the woodland that is.

Highland Laddie
23-Jan-08, 23:30
i am probably the only one who will say bark. I used it for a driveway and not only does it not get blown away in the wind, or water logged in the winter, but i get a flat even drive with no weeds growing up.We put a 2in layer a shingle on the soil and then layered on the bark. 2 yrs and not one problem.Cant wiat to get it in the back garden for a play area for the kids....the aroma off it in the summer is fantastic, if you like the natural smell of the woodland that is.

Quite agree, my back garden is 60 foot by 50 foot, I have 2 foot wide borders all round the garden, I have railway sleepers on the edge of the borders, then put 4 inches of bark all around the borders, I have 3x40 foot plus sycamore trees which drop their seed, they do start to grow in the bark, but 30 minutes with a rake solves that problem, and also freshens up the bark, also I cant say I have noticed any problems with snails/slugs, every second year I top up the bark, as it rots away into the soil, doing even more good. and as Justine says, the colour and smell is lovely.