PDA

View Full Version : Wick Hospital

cats81
11-Jan-08, 23:52
Had to go there for a wee minor op today, having luckily never been in hospital before I was a tad apprehensive, but I must say how friendly and helpful all the staff were. and what a good job they do...hats off girls....and Mr. Surgeon ofcourse! lol

:lol:

Geo
12-Jan-08, 00:02
Glad your op went well. The hospital's telephone number always makes me smile: 60 50 50 :)

TBH
12-Jan-08, 00:03
Nice to see a positive post instead of the usual vitriolic diatribe.;)

cats81
12-Jan-08, 00:06
hahah i know...it's a classic! The irony!

Ward entrances have a table and you have to disinfect your hands with antiseptic gel before proceeding!!

starry
12-Jan-08, 00:09
A friend son was taken in as an emergency last year.

We arrived in a complete panic complete with a group of upset teenagers, worried parents and general mayhem.

The staff were fantastic and went way beyond the call of duty.

canuck
12-Jan-08, 01:37
Caithness General is a fantastic hospital with great staff. Maybe it is the wonderful patients that motivate the place.

Aaldtimer
12-Jan-08, 04:06
The thing that troubles me about any hospital, is the concentration that is given to washing hands and the disregard as to what is brought in on feet! Patients, staff and visitors alike!
There is no precautions whatsoever in my experience.
Also, as as a smoker, I think it is a cruel and un-natural punishment that is being carried out by banning smoking in the grounds of all hospitals.
I await the anti-smoking lobby's indignant responses!:(

Ash
12-Jan-08, 10:41
The thing that troubles me about any hospital, is the concentration that is given to washing hands and the disregard as to what is brought in on feet! Patients, staff and visitors alike!
Also, as as a smoker, I think it is a cruel and un-natural punishment that is being carried out by banning smoking in the grounds of all hospitals.

i dont get how its cruel that there stopping the smoking in the grounds, why should others have to inhale smoke, i think its right to ban it, its a hospital!

starry
12-Jan-08, 12:30
I think younger people will cope better, they tend to be in hospital for shorter periods of time.
I worked as a nurse in an elderly unit, many years ago. We took patients to the side door to have a ciggie or their pipe.
Now they would have to be taken to outside the front gate. There isn't the staff or the time do that.
I do feel there is nothing worse than seeing a crowd of smokers right at the front door of the hospital but banning it from the grounds as well seems a bit harsh.
A lot of staff work 12 hours shifts, allowing time to get changed as they are not allowed out of grounds in uniform means they are unable to have a ciggie in their breaks.

Smoking may be a stupid thing to do and most smokers are well aware of the risks but it is not illegal.

ciderally
12-Jan-08, 12:37
I think younger people will cope better, they tend to be in hospital for shorter periods of time.
I worked as a nurse in an elderly unit, many years ago. We took patients to the side door to have a ciggie or their pipe.
Now they would have to be taken to outside the front gate. There isn't the staff or the time do that.
I do feel there is nothing worse than seeing a crowd of smokers right at the front door of the hospital but banning it from the grounds as well seems a bit harsh.
A lot of staff work 12 hours shifts, allowing time to get changed as they are not allowed out of grounds in uniform means they are unable to have a ciggie in their breaks.

Smoking may be a stupid thing to do and most smokers are well aware of the risks but it is not illegal.

do agree with what you say..as a smoker i would find a corner somewhare even if i did risk getting fired ...just couldent go 12 hrs without a smoke....

floyed
12-Jan-08, 12:52
i dont get how its cruel that there stopping the smoking in the grounds, why should others have to inhale smoke, i think its right to ban it, its a hospital!

I agree with you Ash 100%, why should non smokers have to put there health at risk for others bad habits.

starry
12-Jan-08, 13:06
I don't see how someone smoking at a back door where no-one else is passing is putting anyone else at risk though.

henry20
12-Jan-08, 13:24
As a non smoker I think its a disgrace to stop patients from having a cigarette in the hospital grounds.

Too many elderly people are in hospital long term - my granny was in for months before she passed away, but she was a non smoker - had she been a smoker and had little mobility, I would have hated for her to be deprived of a cigarette - which may be one of the few things left to enjoy when stuck in hospital for weeks on end.

I agree that they shouldn't stand at the entrance and inflict their smoke on others, but surely there is a suitable place without causing distress to patients?

starry
12-Jan-08, 13:46
As a non smoker I think its a disgrace to stop patients from having a cigarette in the hospital grounds.

Too many elderly people are in hospital long term - my granny was in for months before she passed away, but she was a non smoker - had she been a smoker and had little mobility, I would have hated for her to be deprived of a cigarette - which may be one of the few things left to enjoy when stuck in hospital for weeks on end.

I agree that they shouldn't stand at the entrance and inflict their smoke on others, but surely there is a suitable place without causing distress to patients?

This is exactly what I mean, if someone has reached 80 and is still smoking to me it is cruelty to expect them to stop.
I don't think anyone should be allowed to smoke at the main doors but I see no problem with a side or back door being used.
I worked with an old man who used to just light his pipe in the ward, when he saw you coming he would stick it in his pocket and deny it even though there was smoke belching from his trousers [lol]

linkside
12-Jan-08, 17:05
I agree whole heartedly about "The General" my good lady had to be admitted there and she was extremely happy with the attention and assistance that she was given, hats off to the nursing profession!!!

paris
12-Jan-08, 17:45
Why is it that smoking is such a big deal to those who don't smoke ?
I wouldn't smoke in a public place IE pub ,shop etc OR your home if i came to visit but there is always someone who rants and raves about smokers. I love my fags and wouldn't give them up for anyone BUT i wouldn't blow it in your face or give you a hard time because you don't smoke. jan x

paris
12-Jan-08, 17:49
P.S anyone in the nursing profession gets my vote for being 1st class citizens. jan x

Highland Laddie
12-Jan-08, 17:49
Had to go there for a wee minor op today, having luckily never been in hospital before I was a tad apprehensive, but I must say how friendly and helpful all the staff were. and what a good job they do...hats off girls....and Mr. Surgeon ofcourse! lol

:lol:

Why has this thread been hijacked by the smoking debate

I thought that was flogged to death at Tescos door a few weeks back

karia
12-Jan-08, 17:51
I would never have believed how stomach churningly revolting second hand fag smoke is until I quit 10 years ago...but by god it is!:mad:

I must add that I was a 30 a day puffer.:eek:

mums angels
12-Jan-08, 18:00
in my experience wick staff are excellent and take the time to REALLY care about there patients unlike bigger hospitals . over the years of going in for certain things i've not really had a problem but have to admit that at present i'm 23 weeks pregnant and have been really considering having a home birth .. not because theres anything worng with the staff etc but because when i had my last child 2 years ago we were in and out in one day and he managed to pick up MRSA in that small amount of time , this worries me .

as for smoking i can't see a problem about patients being able to smoke in certain outside areas as long as its not at the main entrances as i dont want to be inhaling any on the way in the door , but the same goes for outside most places especially the central , i hate walking past there .

Ash
12-Jan-08, 18:32
after my experience i would never have a child in wick hospital, i had alot of problems with my pregnancy with no help from wick, thankfully she was born in inverness

grumpyhippo
12-Jan-08, 19:51
we were in and out in one day and he managed to pick up MRSA in that small amount of time

Hope you lad is growing up big and strong but please don't assume that mrsa was hospital aquired. 1 in 4 of the population is reckoned to carry the the mrsa bug, just think how many family and friends would have visited you to see your wonderful new addition. Did they all wash their hands before tickling baby under the chin and going coochee coo.
Sorry if I appear a bit picky but I get fed up with every one blaming hospitals and then they pottle off down to the GP and demand antibiotics for something that will more than likely get better all by its self, they are only fueling the antibiotic resistance of all bugs out there.

Oh I do feel better for getting thet of my chest:lol::lol:

jinglejangle
12-Jan-08, 20:47
after my experience i would never have a child in wick hospital, i had alot of problems with my pregnancy with no help from wick, thankfully she was born in inverness

thats a brave statement to make!! you mentioned before you would like more children if you became pregnant you could be rushed to Wick at any time .....

scorrie
12-Jan-08, 20:48
I have never smoke but know how addictive it is. I just wonder whether a Heroin Addict who needed hospital treatment for any length of time would be forced to go cold turkey while in hospital?

mums angels
12-Jan-08, 21:00
Hope you lad is growing up big and strong but please don't assume that mrsa was hospital aquired. 1 in 4 of the population is reckoned to carry the the mrsa bug, just think how many family and friends would have visited you to see your wonderful new addition. Did they all wash their hands before tickling baby under the chin and going coochee coo.
Sorry if I appear a bit picky but I get fed up with every one blaming hospitals and then they pottle off down to the GP and demand antibiotics for something that will more than likely get better all by its self, they are only fueling the antibiotic resistance of all bugs out there.

Oh I do feel better for getting thet of my chest:lol::lol:

Ok i get your point but please don't you assume that i am blaming the hospital with no proof !!

Now my son showed signs of an eye infection around lunch time on the day he was born , they took a swab at 4.00pm before i left the hospital at 5.00pm that swab came back as MRSA now yes i hear you say that someone else could have had it as i am aware that more people carry the virus however NOBODY came to visit my son as we were in and out and only 4 people had contact with him, 2 midwifes my husband and myself, when the results came back as MRSA they explained that i could have passed it on in utero etc so they tested me and my husband we were clear so you tell me other than the hospital where did he get it ?????

now my mother cares for my sick grandma and also worries about MRSA and shes at home .. I know that hospitals get the blame on most occasions however i am not one of them !!!

and if i seem prickly on the subject it was a very stressful time as it took almost a year for it to clear up ( with no antibiotics)and the whole time we had a high chance of passing it on to my other children or other people .

mums angels
12-Jan-08, 21:02
I have never smoke but know how addictive it is. I just wonder whether a Heroin Addict who needed hospital treatment for any length of time would be forced to go cold turkey while in hospital?

No heroin addicts are given morphine and put on a drug programme whilst in hospital .

mums angels
12-Jan-08, 21:08

well you must have been unlucky Ash i also had some problems during my last prgnancy and from 12 weeks on i had experience with the maternity staff, emergency room staff and doctor Valentine and i have to say i couldn't have asked for better, when i got pregnant this time i was very upset hear that he had left but luckily this time all is going well so far .

simpsoney
12-Jan-08, 22:08
My daughter was also born in Wick Hospital in Nov 2006 and i have to say the staff in the maternity ward couldnt have treated me better. I had an excellent experience and i take my hat off too them. I think they are definately under paid. I cant praise them enough for the treatment they gave me and my daughter.

JAWS
12-Jan-08, 22:15
I don't see how someone smoking at a back door where no-one else is passing is putting anyone else at risk though.It's called "Wishful Thinking" by those who think that because they do not like or do not think somebody else should do something that it should be banned.
There are a lot of things people do/do not do that I find extremely obnoxious and some of them are also dangerous to the health of others but that does not mean I have the right to demand that they be prevented from doing such things.

As for Wick Hospital, the staff there are fantastic and amongst the most friendly and helpful I have come across. I spent one Christmas and New Year in there as "walking wounded" and that must be about the worst time of year for that to happen and. whilst I wouldn't volunteer, would have no worries if I was put in that position again.
And I think that says a lot for any hospital and it’s staff considering the time of year.

Ash
12-Jan-08, 22:24
thats a brave statement to make!! you mentioned before you would like more children if you became pregnant you could be rushed to Wick at any time .....

i know it is, hence why i havent had another child, im too scared to, but i think after my last pregnancy i would be watched closly and taken in early

lil_kim
12-Jan-08, 23:25
My daughter was also born in Wick Hospital in Nov 2006 and i have to say the staff in the maternity ward couldnt have treated me better. I had an excellent experience and i take my hat off too them. I think they are definately under paid. I cant praise them enough for the treatment they gave me and my daughter.

i couldnt agree more. when my daughter was born last summer the care i was given was top notch. at the end of my stay the midwives were like good friends. cant praise them enough!

jinglejangle
12-Jan-08, 23:26
i know it is, hence why i havent had another child, im too scared to, but i think after my last pregnancy i would be watched closly and taken in early

That is good that you would be monitored closely and then taken to Inverness early - hopefully you would not encounter the problems you had before and everything would go smoothly.

I had my kids in Wick and was lucky enough to have had a good experience with both and found the midwifes and auxilliary staff excellent :Razz.

footie chick
12-Jan-08, 23:42
I've had all my kids at CGH and only have praise for the wonderful staff there.
I have also had experience of the A&E staff {as you do when you have kids :)} and again they are first class. On holiday last year one of my children fell and hurt their arm resulting in a 8 HOUR wait in A&E on a Friday night down south. I can hand on heart guarantee that would not have happened at CGH.
I personally think all the staff at CGH are wonderful and deserve full praise for the sometimes un-noticed work that they do.

Fran
13-Jan-08, 04:13

I beleive terminall ill patients are excempt from the smoking rule.
Maybe the hospital will put a portacabin in the grounds for smoking.

Fran
13-Jan-08, 04:21
mrsa etc. ....there is a spray you can purchase in boots chemist which you can use to wipe table tops etc and alcholhol rub gel for your hands. I used both when himself was in raigmore and he never got an infection, apart from his arm where the needle was inserted. Alchohol gel rub can also protect you from colds as well as other germs.
although alchohol rub is provided at the hospital i have noticed that not many visitors use it when entering the wards and i find this very annoying.

Alice in Blunderland
13-Jan-08, 14:45

A suggestion to help you with your fears would be to go along to your gp and talk over all your fears worries and anxietys about having another child. Speak to the consultant and midwifes and I am sure they would do as much as possible to help you through another pregnancy.

I had most of my children in CGH and had great treatment throughout form various members of staff only one had to be born in Inverness and I hated that.
If you feel that you were not taken care of in the right way you should maybe have considered an informal complaint to raise awareness of any shortfalls.

I know I complained in writing about the toilet roll not being soft enough :eek:

I am sorry that you felt let down as this should have been a wonderfull time for you.

As for smokers in the hospital they dont have to go cold turkey there are patches available to help them get through. :)

BRIE
13-Jan-08, 20:44
I've had all my kids at CGH and only have praise for the wonderful staff there.
I have also had experience of the A&E staff {as you do when you have kids :)} and again they are first class. On holiday last year one of my children fell and hurt their arm resulting in a 8 HOUR wait in A&E on a Friday night down south. I can hand on heart guarantee that would not have happened at CGH.
I personally think all the staff at CGH are wonderful and deserve full praise for the sometimes un-noticed work that they do.

Ive had a couple of bad experiences with the A&E dept.
I took my child not long ago with a suspected fracture, we were told on arrival that it was a 3 hour wait & if we didnt think it was urgent we should go home! doctor came looked at my child & said it cant be broken their not in enough pain! didnt get offered an x-ray or anything. returned 2days later for a 2nd opinion as child was still in pain to find there was 2 fractures!!
Second experience was a bit better when my other child got rushed in after collapsing.But after being there for some time my child wanted the toilet I went looking for a nurse & found their wasnt anyone in the department! had to wait 15 minutes before anyone came in.
Cant fault the wards at all though. found the staff amazing & nothing was ever to much trouble, fantastically clean too.

whitewitch
13-Jan-08, 22:29
i have had both my children in the maternity unit in wick, and i couldnt of asked for nicer midwives or surgeons, i had the best of care, my older child was also allowed in during the day as i was in a side ward, which i felt was really good as they bonded so well together and then couldnt wait for mummy an dbaby to come home.

i have also had an op in CG and again couldnt fault them. they are always going around cleaning, and i find always happy to help.

mccaugm
13-Jan-08, 23:07

Smoking is bad for your health...proven fact,..so it would be hypocritical of the Health Service to allow this filthy habit to be carried out in a place where the health of patients is paramount. If you want to smoke - do it where it does not affect other people.

Ash
13-Jan-08, 23:09
Smoking is bad for your health...proven fact,..so it would be hypocritical of the Health Service to allow this filthy habit to be carried out in a place where the health of patients is paramount. If you want to smoke - do it where it does not affect other people.

im with you on that, its like some people dont understand it, smoking is disgusting! it kills, why should non smokers have to walk through it to enter somewhere especially a hospital!!!

Ash
14-Jan-08, 18:37
A suggestion to help you with your fears would be to go along to your gp and talk over all your fears worries and anxietys about having another child. Speak to the consultant and midwifes and I am sure they would do as much as possible to help you through another pregnancy.

I had most of my children in CGH and had great treatment throughout form various members of staff only one had to be born in Inverness and I hated that.
If you feel that you were not taken care of in the right way you should maybe have considered an informal complaint to raise awareness of any shortfalls.

I know I complained in writing about the toilet roll not being soft enough :eek:

I am sorry that you felt let down as this should have been a wonderfull time for you.

As for smokers in the hospital they dont have to go cold turkey there are patches available to help them get through. :)

thanks for your advice, not going in to too much detail, but there was a complaint made and im still waiting, wee one will be 4 next month