PDA

View Full Version : Telesales scam

northener
11-Jan-08, 21:37
Had this one on Tuesday.

Got a call from a girl called Claire (Manchester accent) on my mobile (diverted from my business landline).

Introduced herself as being from the 'Crime Prevention Office' very friendly and chatty.

Opening shot was that I had spoken to her in November about 'sponsorship' in an Anti-Bullying leaflet that apparently is circulated every couple of months in Wick(!!!!).

Told her it rung no bells, she then proceeded to quote a date (Nov 14th) when I had spoken to her, she even told me that the length of the phone call was 14 minutes x seconds at 2:16pm and that I had spoken to her.

Whilst she was speaking I was checking my diary - I was in my works motor all that afternoon on a variety of jobs.........

When I challenged her, she said I had agreed to take out a 1/4 page advert at £190.00 when we allegedly spoke. I only got as far as 'you can f' when she hung up on me.

To verify the details, I checked my phone bill online, as when I am at work, the phone is diverted to my mobile. So it's very easy to backtrack calls.

I took 4 calls on the day she said she had been speaking to me - the longest was 46 seconds.........

anneoctober
11-Jan-08, 22:01
I had a Welsh guy phone my mobile yesterday, he said that I'd taken out insurance for my mobi and as I was such I good customer, they wanted to do me a better deal ie £169 from £199 + vat of course for 18 months. Nothing wrong wi that EXCEPT the only insurance that covers our mobiles is through the business policy, so he was telling me porkies. I thanked him for his call and asked him not to contact me again.
The anti bullying leaflet scam - we had a similar one last year was supposed to be handed out in Pennyland Primary School £229 + vat. I declined that offer too..........[lol]

ginajade
12-Jan-08, 11:18
I have had a few recently using the same tactic; " You applied for financial asistance a few months ago"........." You completed a survey a while back an agreed that we could contact you"............." I was speaking to a member of your family last week who said you would be interested in financial assistance"........."You contacted our office a while ago".......All blatant lies, but it keeps you on the phone for a few seconds longer while you think about it.I think all sales calls should be stopped. At the end of the day, if you want a product, you will look for it. Yes they probably do get some sales from people intimidated by their calls or by vulnerable people who are taken in by their sales waffle, but I'm sure they have more knock backs as people get wiser to their tactics. And surely if they have to call, there should be a time limit, 9-5 only. I have had the earliest call starting at 8.30am right through till 8.45pm. It's wrong. Surely this could be classed as harrassment and something done about it.