PDA

View Full Version : Sign language for babies, 6 months+

Rheghead
11-Jan-08, 20:08
Has anyone had any success with signing with their bairn? I have a book of instructions and as always am a bit sceptical but willing to give it a go.:confused :)

canuck
11-Jan-08, 20:24
My children were born long before this craze. But one of my younger colleagues went the sign language route with his children. It seemed quite successful.

changilass
11-Jan-08, 20:38
Its very successful, the more so the earlier they start. Very young kids have been able to let parents know when they are hungry or in pain even when they don't have the words.

We do it with our 4yr old and it is great to see him using his signs when he can't find the right words to use. Its also great watching him have a conversation with his granny and the coal man both of whom are deaf and dumb (and afore anyone jumpes on me for using that term, its the one mil uses herself)

Thumper
11-Jan-08, 20:44
It really does work,but as Changi said the earlier you start it the better! x

lady penelope
11-Jan-08, 21:06
A friends child had disibilities and had communication problems.He used his eyes to ask for something he wanted,looking towards what he needed and tried to wave towards it. Sign language does work, but only if used systematically, and all the time. My youngest just learned to lip-read instead!

twiglet
12-Jan-08, 00:19
Used sign language with my bairn as she was a very frustrated baby from about 4 months. It worked very well once we both got used to it and she was a lot happier and more content being able to tell me what she wanted.

mums angels
12-Jan-08, 01:09
does using sign language not hinder their talking ability ? i find the idea very interesting as i have a two year old that doesn't say much because he has ways of showing us what he wants without asking for it etc i'm not worried about him as he can say things and i have always said its like 3rd child syndrome ( his brother and sister do alot of talking for him ) i spoke to a health worker yesterday about it and she advised to stop letting him show me what he wants and to encourage him to ask instead which i've done in the past but to be honest lifes easier to let him show me than him throwing a strop or getting frustrated .

sassylass
12-Jan-08, 02:12
Baby sign language is amazing, if I had a baby I'd give it a go.

changilass
12-Jan-08, 02:31
Mums, when it is started from the child being a baby, studies have shown that the kids actually speak sooner.

Not sure if any studies have been done for older kids but we started with the wee man nearly a year ago (aged 3) when he wasn't speaking very much, he now never shuts up lol. He is now speaking clearer and has a wider vocabuary.

ginajade
12-Jan-08, 10:53
Hi,
Let us know how you get on. Sounds interesting.