PDA

View Full Version : Twins

starry
11-Jan-08, 15:24
I feel so sorry for this couple. This is from the BBC News site.

Parted-at-birth twins 'married'

It is thought the pair did not know their relationship when they married

A pair of twins who were adopted by separate families as babies got married without knowing they were brother and sister, a peer told the House of Lords.
A court annulled the UK couple's union after they discovered their true relationship, Lord Alton said.
The peer - who was told of the case by a High Court judge involved - said the twins felt an "inevitable attraction".
He said the case showed how important it was for children to be able to find out about their biological parents.
'Truth will out'
Details of the of the identities of the twins involved have been kept secret, but Lord Alton said the pair did not realise they were related until after their marriage.
The former Liberal Democrat MP raised the couple's case during a House of Lords debate on the Human Fertility and Embryology Bill in December.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif We are naturally drawn to people who are quite similar to ourselves

Pam Hodgkins
Adults Affected by Adoption

"They were never told that they were twins," he told the Lords.
"They met later in life and felt an inevitable attraction, and the judge had to deal with the consequences of the marriage that they entered into and all the issues of their separation."
He told the BBC News website that their story raises the wider issue of the importance of strengthening the rights of children to know the identities of their biological parents .
"If you start trying to conceal someone's identity, sooner or later the truth will out," he said.
"And if you don't know you are biologically related to someone, you may become attracted to them and tragedies like this may occur."
Pam Hodgkins, chief executive officer of the charity Adults Affected by Adoption (NORCAP) said there had been previous cases of separated siblings being attracted to each other.
"We have a resistance, a very strong incest taboo where we are aware that someone is a biological relative," she said. "But when we are unaware of that relationship, we are naturally drawn to people who are quite similar to ourselves. "And of course there is unlikely to be anyone more similar to any individual than their sibling."

paris
11-Jan-08, 15:31
WOW ! what a shock. I was adopted but my brother who is 2 yrs older than me was brought up by our biological grandparents. When i did meet my natural family my grandma always said she was worried just in case we, being my brother and i , ever met and fell in love. We didn't LOL jan x

whitewitch
11-Jan-08, 21:08
i thought that that was amazing, how in the whole world they found each other. i feel sorry for them though, it must of been a complete shock for them.

miranda
11-Jan-08, 21:53
wow!! sad story but can happen so easily. i dont know my birth family and dont want to know them so could have met them without knowing thankfully im hundreds of miles away from where i was born and the chances are slim and my husband is def no a relation!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

mccaugm
11-Jan-08, 22:20
I have a friend who came to my wedding in September 2003. We had a great band and we boogied the night away. A guest at the reception kept saying the base player in the band looked the spitting image of my friend. We all laughed it off.
In January 2004 I got a phone call to say that the singer at the wedding was my friends blood brother. I won't go into the ins and outs but needless to say there was a lot of heartache involved.
The good news is the newly acquainted brothers are as close as they could be.

whitewitch
11-Jan-08, 22:27
isnt it a small world!!!! fate is a wonderful thing!!

mccaugm
11-Jan-08, 22:58
I have to confess that when it all came out I, along with everyone involved, was very shocked. Now its just sort of normal, if that makes sense.

Whats even stranger was that I was on a night out with some mates before the wedding and the band happened to be playing in my friends home town. I asked if they were free the night of the wedding. It turned out to that they did have a booking but that they decided to cancel it for us.

It is almost eerily conincidental.
I am just delighted that the brothers found each other.

Phoenix200416
12-Jan-08, 00:34
I met one of my cousins completely without knowing we were related. I was out shopping when I lived down in Lincolnshire and I got talking to a lassie in the shop. We got along really well. We met up a few times after that and then she moved away. until about 6 years later when I came upto Wick to stay with my Aunt and was told I would be sharing a room with my cousin...I couldn't believe it was the same lassie. Its definately a small world!

Julia
12-Jan-08, 00:40
How tragic for them, the odds of that happening must be non-existent! One blessing is I suppose that they hadn't gone as far as having children. I wonder how their relationship with continue as brother and sister?