PDA

View Full Version : Money off coupons

badger
11-Jan-08, 12:26
Just received the usual batch from Boots - designed specially for me of course! - and wonder why large companies cannot organise this better. So, before I start shouting at them, I'm sure someone on here can tell me what the problem is.

If you get a store membership card (and I don't mean a store credit card), it gets swiped every time you shop and you accumulate points and at intervals you get a batch of these wretched coupons, which have to be torn (or even worse cut [disgust] ) out. Half the time they are for things you would never dream of buying but sometimes they're useful, like Boots double points, but you have to remember to take them with you and use before a certain date and and and .....

Why on earth, since their computers are registering everything you buy, can't they just give you money off or extra points when the card is swiped without having to mess about with little bits of paper? It must cost the companies to send them out and collect them and do whatever they do with them to say nothing of all that wasted paper (I don't want their wretched magazines and postman-delivered leaflets).

Somerfields briefly had the right idea - they abandoned coupons and marked certain items on shelves as special offers if you had a card. But then they gave up on it. Why? What is the problem?

Thumper
11-Jan-08, 15:18
Badger, I agree with you,I bought things off their website before christmas,you have to give your advantage cards details BUT then they sent my order and told me I have to take the reciept in to my local branch to get the points added to my card......why?stupid idea if you ask me x

nannydip
11-Jan-08, 15:40
Sometimes I think it's made that wee bit more awkward so that less people actually take advantage of these offers, and that's what the companies are hoping for.

riggerboy
11-Jan-08, 15:52
the coupons are sent to to you to try and get you in the store, its better for them if you in the store buying things you dont need even if you dont use the coupon, its a sort of lost leader thing, if your not in the store then they aint getting any of your hard earned money, better for them to have you in and spending something even if its 1 pound,

badger
11-Jan-08, 16:04
Surely they don't believe that, riggerboy? Do they seriously think anyone is going to make an extra trip to the shop just to get a few pennies off? After all if you have one of these cards, chances are you shop there fairly regularly so will go when you need to.

scorrie
11-Jan-08, 19:36
Badger, I agree with you,I bought things off their website before christmas,you have to give your advantage cards details BUT then they sent my order and told me I have to take the reciept in to my local branch to get the points added to my card......why?stupid idea if you ask me x

Hi Thumper, it is actually worse than you think. You use your advantage card online and then have to visit a branch that has a Kiosk where you can insert the card to have your points added to it. Surprise, surprise, the nearest branch with that facility is Inverness!!

Thumper
11-Jan-08, 20:06
Hi Thumper, it is actually worse than you think. You use your advantage card online and then have to visit a branch that has a Kiosk where you can insert the card to have your points added to it. Surprise, surprise, the nearest branch with that facility is Inverness!!

:eek: grrrrr! Thanks for pointing that out to me Scorrie...I guess thats about 300 points or more I wont be adding anytime soon then :roll: x

Riffman
11-Jan-08, 20:48
All these loyalty cards are just for tracking your spending habits......

You don't really think they save you money do you??????

Bobinovich
11-Jan-08, 23:06
Absolutely right Riffman - it lets the stores build up a profile on you and determines your buying trends throughout the year. This information can then be used to target advertising more effectively, what new products you're likely to try, etc.

Information is power...

Riffman
11-Jan-08, 23:08
Absolutely right Riffman - it lets the stores build up a profile on you and determines your buying trends throughout the year. This information can then be used to target advertising more effectively, what new products you're likely to try, etc.

Information is power...

My dad can never quite get used to having tesco vouchers arrive for all the stuff he usually buys.... he then goes and buys it again....very powerful these cards!

Thumper
11-Jan-08, 23:13

Probably.....BUT when you can get a free bottle of perfume...I usually fall for it ;) x

Julia
12-Jan-08, 00:45

I receive a letter stating an item I had previously bought from Boots had been recalled, now the only way they could of known I had bought them was that I had used my advantage card. It must make a record of every item purchase using an advantage card. As for Tesco, I do receive quite a few vouchers that are, in a way, tailored to my specific needs based on prior purchases, the majority seems to be baby related items.

Thumper
12-Jan-08, 10:49
I was the same Julia,I bought mugs from Matalan and they were recalled because they shattered when hot water was put in them,if they hadnt got a record of what I had bought there could have been a nasty accident,so I suppose at times it really does help! x

badger
12-Jan-08, 12:26

If it's Boots you're talking about, I think they will add points at any branch if you ask them. I'm sure I did once when I asked because, like you, thought it could only be done at a branch with a Kiosk.

I like getting Boots points as can treat myself to a little present occasionally when I have enough, even though I know I'm paying for it one way or another. In fact would prefer it if all stores did that rather than money off specific items.

I know the coupons are supposed to target you based on your shopping but they never get me right. Would anyone really buy something just because they had been sent a coupon giving them a few pence off?

Still think the Somerfield scheme was better - or Boots that lets you get something free occasionally. Neither of those require bits of paper, just the card. The cost in admin. of sending all this individually addressed stuff must be pretty large.

scorrie
12-Jan-08, 20:39
If it's Boots you're talking about, I think they will add points at any branch if you ask them. I'm sure I did once when I asked because, like you, thought it could only be done at a branch with a Kiosk.

I like getting Boots points as can treat myself to a little present occasionally when I have enough, even though I know I'm paying for it one way or another. In fact would prefer it if all stores did that rather than money off specific items.

I know the coupons are supposed to target you based on your shopping but they never get me right. Would anyone really buy something just because they had been sent a coupon giving them a few pence off?

Still think the Somerfield scheme was better - or Boots that lets you get something free occasionally. Neither of those require bits of paper, just the card. The cost in admin. of sending all this individually addressed stuff must be pretty large.

I DID ask them. Both the invoice I received and the staff in Wick Boots informed me that I had to take my advantage card to a Kiosk in order to have the points added. I know that if you have a previous purchase at a store and did not have your card, you can bring the receipt in the next time and have the points added in retrospect.

footie chick
12-Jan-08, 23:27
With Boots I think you have 6 months? or maybe longer to get ur points from online added to your card so as long as you remember and are in Inverness within 6 months to retrieve them no problem?:(

My pet hate is the Co-op in Thurso give you a £3.00 off if you spend £20.00 voucher for next time but in Wick they take it off before your final bill by far the most sensible option. IMO