PDA

View Full Version : Ideas Please

Tugmistress
11-Jan-08, 12:18
I am getting some of my photography done on large canvas and i am wracking my brains where to go and see if i can be cheeky and ask for it to be displayed with a view to selling it, i have just been into 'we frame it' in thurso, can anyone suggest anywhere else i can try when i feel brave enough to walk in and ask?

mccaugm
11-Jan-08, 12:22
I am getting some of my photography done on large canvas and i am wracking my brains where to go and see if i can be cheeky and ask for it to be displayed with a view to selling it, i have just been into 'we frame it' in thurso, can anyone suggest anywhere else i can try when i feel brave enough to walk in and ask?

What about the Tollbooth Gallery? Or ask the council if you can display it in their corridors somewhere...they love enterprising people. Make a CASE to CASE....I am sure they would oblige. The college might also oblige.

To anyone who has not see "Tuggie"s photography take it from me its great...I have photos taken of my family by the river in Halkirk (before it was swept away). They are fantastic...so recommend the "Tuggie".

alanatkie
Try some of the hotels as they may be interested in doing that for you - i know that there is pictures on the walls at Northern Sands, Dunnet for sale.

Bobinovich
You could ask in the Royal Hotel if you could display some of them in the windows of the old Victoria Wine shop along with your contact details.

Highland Laddie
11-Jan-08, 12:35
What about the Tollbooth Gallery? Or ask the council if you can display it in their corridors somewhere...they love enterprising people. Make a CASE to CASE....I am sure they would oblige. The college might also oblige.

To anyone who has not see "Tuggie"s photography take it from me its great...I have photos taken of my family by the river in Halkirk (before it was swept away). They are fantastic...so recommend the "Tuggie".

What was swept away, surely not your family !!!!!

highlander
11-Jan-08, 12:40
Tuggs you have some fantastic photo's, why not put some together and show them in the gallery in the library? others have done so.

Metalattakk
11-Jan-08, 13:00

Nah, it was Halkirk that was swept away. Poor, poor people of Halkirk. :(

Tuggs you have some fantastic photo's, why not put some together and show them in the gallery in the library? others have done so.

Aye, that's the first place I would enquire. The earlier idea of going to CASE is a good one too.

ginajade
11-Jan-08, 13:11
The tall pines near Dornoch and The Trawler cafe in Golspie display art work with prices for various artists and the little cafe at the back of main st in Brora. Tall pines Resteraunt have long walls for large pieces.

octane
11-Jan-08, 13:11
what about the market in wick and thurso, work from your boot of the car and promote your work. Face to face marketing is good so you can explain what other type of photography/ art work you can do

Hibeechick
11-Jan-08, 13:15
Not 100% sure how it works but what about the shop in Wick that used to me the music shop? The one that sells locally made things?

mccaugm
11-Jan-08, 13:39

:lol:No the riverbank was swept away...its now impassable where the photos were taken..Very sad as it was a lovely place to walk along.:confused

changilass
11-Jan-08, 14:10
What about doctors offices Tuggs, it gives them free (changeable) decor and you some exposure.

Metalattakk
11-Jan-08, 14:15
...and in front of a captive audience too, if my last visit to the 'waiting-forever-to-see-a-doctor room' is anything to go by. :D

Another good idea.

maidencaithness
11-Jan-08, 17:53
You could try Simply Unique in Mey, they sell local items, like pictures and crafts.

jings00
11-Jan-08, 19:55
Durrans, in Thurso? by the square (is it durrans or durrands?)

Riffman
11-Jan-08, 20:51
Caithness shop in Wick?

Thumper
11-Jan-08, 20:53
How about asking Bill if he will put them on the org for you? x

Lolabelle
11-Jan-08, 21:05
I have purchased pictures that were displayed in a coffee shop, so you could try a touristy eatery????
And I too have some of Tugs pic's and the are awesome.

KitKat
11-Jan-08, 21:07
The Caithness shop in Wick will sell them for you. I think they charge a small amount to display them. Silver Darlings has some local paintings for sale so they might oblige. That would give you a Wick outlet too.

Tugmistress
11-Jan-08, 21:20
Thanks for the ideas folks :D there are some great ones there and i will have to feel brave and go and ask these places, the shop in wick charges (i can't remember exact details) per foot of wall space per week as i enquired when it first opened and they want something like 3 or 6 months in advance, again can't remember, but i know it put it out of my price range at the moment.
I have permission from Scrabster Harbour Trust to put a couple up in the terminal building at Scrabster so i can get a couple up there too :)

did enquire to case last year about it as i do all of it myself (photograph, print, mount) for the smaller ones (8" x 10" that Lolabelle and mccaugm have) but the canvas i have to order from elsewhere and they were not helpful shall we say.

Tugmistress
11-Jan-08, 21:58
...and in front of a captive audience too, if my last visit to the 'waiting-forever-to-see-a-doctor room' is anything to go by. :D

Another good idea.

ha ha ha yes i know what you mean, 45 minutes today i was a 'captive audience'!

whitewitch
11-Jan-08, 22:01
i have seen some pictures for sale in riverbank surgery before, you could try there!!

Tilter
11-Jan-08, 22:06

Tugs,
You are not being cheeky! From what everyone's saying, your product is excellent, so take a few examples along with you and walk in anywhere you fancy and ask. Most people like to try and help anyway. And if you're not feeling brave, then pretend you're a brave, hotshot person - no one will know. If you get rejected, don't take it personally, just keep on. Good luck.

PS: Can you put some photos on the Org for sale? I'd like to see some. I'll PM you.

ginajade
12-Jan-08, 11:29
At the end of the day you are giving them unique decoration until the time they are sold, so no-one should be offended with you asking. Also seen art for sale in Highland Law Practice, not sure if the other solicitors do it.

henry20
12-Jan-08, 11:54
It all depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for somewhere to display it for free, you might be stuck - shops such as Durrans/We Frame It etc are almost bound to charge a percentage of sale price - you are taking up space that could/would be used to sell something else that they would make profit on, so it is not good business sense for them to display it for free.

I'd imagine hotels would be your best shot, but again, if they have to take payment by credit card, they are going to have to pay a fee for card processing, so I imagine you'd still need to pay a percentage, but possibly a lesser one.

ciderally
12-Jan-08, 13:37
has anyone mentioned the airport in wick? worth a try...

Tugmistress
12-Jan-08, 13:49
I know places if they hang and then sell will want paying, I want to cover my costs and maybe a little profit, what they make on top of that price is theirs.

thanks for the pm's that have been sent, i will have a lot of phone calls and visits to do :D

smithp
12-Jan-08, 20:53
I don't know what style of work you do because I ain't seen any but Lyth arts centre shows work during the summer, also arts centre in Helmsadle (but they plan 2 years in advance). Be really careful of displaying your work in shops / restaurants etc on sale or return - I've done this and quite often it gets mistreated or even nicked - and theres nowt you can do. The made in Caithness place charges a few quid a week to sell your stuff and a commission if over £50 (I think). Best of luck.