PDA

View Full Version : new dog laws over here..

ciderally
10-Jan-08, 20:32
read in the local spanish paper today about the new dog laws put into force..
all large breeds over 25kilos plus the pitt bull breeds ...must register their animal and get a special licence to pocess such an animal , and part of that process is that the owner has to have a psychiatric examination..in addition the owners vets have to issue a cert to say the owners can control the dog.....which is all very well but i have a greyhound and im only praying that he dosent weigh over the 25 k....because if i have to have a psycio report we havent a hope in hell .........jeeze what next

emszxr
10-Jan-08, 20:43
i think its quite a good idea. in fact i think all dog owners should go through tests. we have to do a test to drive a car so we are deemed safe for the road, but yet anyone can have a dog , an aggressive one at that.

dragonfly
10-Jan-08, 20:54
not sure about psychiatric examinations but I certainly think that Dog Licences should be reintroduced and not at the silly prices they were before they were abolished in the 80's - 37.5p or something like that??

Maybe if people had to pay a yearly sum of say £100+ per dog, I wonder how many potential owners would buy a dog on a whim? It may reduce the amount of dogs needing to be rehomed.

changilass
10-Jan-08, 21:00
Where is the link to this info please.

Our Newfie is well over the 25k weight so we need to be doing whatever is required.

ciderally
10-Jan-08, 21:05
Where is the link to this info please.

Our Newfie is well over the 25k weight so we need to be doing whatever is required.

this is spanish laws coming out at end of this month sorry should have made that clear xx

changilass
10-Jan-08, 22:27
Opps sorry, will teach me to view where orgers are from afore jumping to conclusions :lol:

Having said that, I think it would be a good idea to hava a smilar law in this county, but not just for big dogs, little dogs can do a lot of damage too.

ciderally
10-Jan-08, 23:25
good points raised here and i suppose it is for the best . just dont fancy a psycio test so im still going to get my tomas on the scales, thanks folks xx

badger
11-Jan-08, 00:07
not sure about psychiatric examinations but I certainly think that Dog Licences should be reintroduced and not at the silly prices they were before they were abolished in the 80's - 37.5p or something like that??

Maybe if people had to pay a yearly sum of say £100+ per dog, I wonder how many potential owners would buy a dog on a whim? It may reduce the amount of dogs needing to be rehomed.

I think it would be a good idea to require a licence for all pets - scaled according to size and type. As you say, might make people think twice and if you can't afford a licence you probably can't afford a pet. Or maybe compulsory insurance rather than a licence? Might save a lot of misery for animals.

Highland Laddie
11-Jan-08, 00:22

And what exactly would you do with the possible thousands of dogs that were turned out, because their owners could not afford £100.
A lot of pensioners, single and disabled people have dogs for companionship.

I agree with the licence for the dog, and the dog being micro chipped, then if there is a problem, the owner can be traced, if you give or sell the dog on, then it is still your responsability until the information for the micro chip has been updated.

Tilter
11-Jan-08, 22:39
i think its quite a good idea. in fact i think all dog owners should go through tests. we have to do a test to drive a car so we are deemed safe for the road, but yet anyone can have a dog , an aggressive one at that.

All child owners should go through tests too.

changilass
11-Jan-08, 22:47
You don't own children, you get them on hire for a wee while and you do the best you can, but I agree, you should get some form of training before you can have one.

Geo
11-Jan-08, 22:54

But what about those of us who couldn't afford that but can afford to offer a good home to a dog?

dook
11-Jan-08, 23:21

I have 3 large breed dogs. Why should I have to pay out more as a dog lover as opposed to someone who has never owned one and therefore not proved themselves responsible? I pay pet insurance on all which is another money making exercise for someone else. Why not hit first time owners who haven't proved themselves or better still fine couples who decide to buy a puppy, have a baby, then realise they can't look after the puppy (what a shock)?

Peoples circumstances also change too. If you found yourself short of cash one day, I wonder how many more dogs would end up strays when the annual license fee came round?

My dogs are worth £500 a pop which is pretty average nowadays. Quite a whim buy in anyones books.

The idea of chipping to identify dogs and owners, followed by heavier fines/prison sentences for animal cruelty sounds a good way to go.

Phoenix200416
12-Jan-08, 00:07
I have a greyhound and im only praying that he dosent weigh over the 25 k....because if i have to have a psycio report we havent a hope in hell .........jeeze what next

I think I would be hoping for the lack of a psycho report too if I was living in Spain (mental note to self- don't move to spain with Milo!!!). I'd say my dog weighs over 25kg I think I would be ok with a psycho, expect for nervousness, but if Milo had to have one we'd be done for... Pyscho or not I still love my daft poock :lol: Hmmmm...I seem to attract all the daft animals....or maybe I send them daft... ^.^

justine
12-Jan-08, 00:09
well thats us done for.Bingo is a massive 40kg.Good job he is a gentle giant. Although he may have issues with other dogs, for now but i am working on it.When exactly is this law coming into effect....Good job i would not be moving to spain. I hope it does not come to the uk.

The one thing that supprises me is the fact that 100.000 dogs die of cruelty in spain each year..What have they got about mans best friend....

dragonfly
12-Jan-08, 00:16
hey dinna get on my back, it was a suggestion not me passing a law!!! people give away dogs they get for free cos they can't afford them, I have 2 dogs and 4 cats myself so know how much animals cost, but if a licence was compulsary again at a common sense price, not pennies, it might eek out those not so committed owners!

justine
12-Jan-08, 00:21
i am not on your back.I am just stating fact.I think its great that you care about your animals it just seems hypocritical that the humans have to undergo an interogation and for an animal that they dont care about.. Putting up the licences to out the uncaring owner wont work...They just wont pay the license...If the wont pay for the health of the dog,for the best upkeep in the first place, and get rid of it they should not have the animal in the first place...
If you could write the laws, you would have come up with something better than this one..Dont you think....

ps...at this moment in time with my mental state in question, it would not be a good idea for me to answer any questions...

dragonfly
12-Jan-08, 00:23
wasn't meaning you Justine ;)

justine
12-Jan-08, 00:28

Good point.But if people stopped breeding them willy nilly there would not be as many unwanted dogs needing good homes....There are too many breeders out for just the money and dont perticulaly care what kind of life the dog has once they have been paid.I know there are also breeders who wont let there dogs go unless they are 100% sure of this..Maybe they should just make the price of the pup a ridiculous price, people would stop buying them and maybe people will stop breeding them at the rate they do....

justine
12-Jan-08, 00:33
wasn't meaning you Justine ;)

i know hun...I just think that dogs have the worst situation going in spain than any other country so bringing in this kind of law is just hypocritical...The dogs dont ask to be shoved from a nice family to the cold streets and possible death..

we got bingo 8 months ago and he is microchipped. The first thing we did was to have him to the vet for a physical exam, and then changed all his details over to ours.He wears a collar with a tag with id on it and one stating he is chipped...Whether i could afford the license i would pay it,he means the world to me and he gets the best life i can offer him.Which he will get until he leaves this world..He has a home for life and i wish i could say the same for these ppoor dogs...

ciderally
12-Jan-08, 13:23
we rescued our 2 dogs in caithness long before coming over here to spain, and we have had to get the pets passports and all that goes along with it, like keeping up to date with shots and blood tests ect, thats because if we come back to uk they can come as well and if i have to take pysico tests then so be it..but this law is going to cause a lot of probs over here, as it is just now there are a lot of xpats that go home and just leave the dogs here ..
thats on top of the problems spain has with the lack of humane treatment of animals..i have lots of sad stories i could tell, most of the help societies are run by brits god bless them..but if tomas is over the 25k mark.. and i dont pass the tests...and if the local vet dosent think that i can handle him to his expectations...then no ifs and buts i will be packing up and taking my dogs home..anyways thanks folks good reading im off to buy a set if scales ..xx