PDA

View Full Version : Water Hammer

BertoBear
10-Jan-08, 19:12
I believe that I have something called "water hammer" happening in my house.

Several times a day a loud thumping noise occurs for about 5 to 10 mins, if you turn on the cold tap when this happens the water comes out in spurts and you can feel the taps shuddering.

What I cannot understand that when this water hammer occurs I do not have any water devices operating at the time (taps, washing machine etc).

I live in a block of 5 terraced houses and was wondering if the problem was connected with next door.

Does anyone have any advice on this, before it totally drives me nuts!!

Thanks

paris
10-Jan-08, 19:21
Not that I'm a plumber but isn't it something to do with air in the pipes, they need bleeding.? jan x

bekisman
10-Jan-08, 19:59
good advice here:
http://www.simplifydiy.com/plumbing-and-heating/mains-water-systems/water-hammer

Bobinovich
10-Jan-08, 20:43
We have the same problem. After reading the information in the above link would it be reasonable to assume that, as our water pressure is quite high anyway, we could simply close the main valve a little, thereby reducing our water pressure.

I would imagine that this could be done in 1/4 turn stages until we achieve a decent balance - i.e. a suitable water pressure and no water hammer.

Does my logic seem reasonable?

George Brims
10-Jan-08, 22:29
There are things you can add to the plumbing to suppress water hammer. They are a simple tube closed at one end, which is installed upright so air is trapper inside, acting as a spring I suppose.

hell raizer
10-Jan-08, 22:43
hubby is a plumber, he says it could be coming from 2 houses away as the noise can travel along the copper supply pipe.

willrob
10-Jan-08, 23:05
Have similar problem. Drives the wife mad. Live in area where three houses supplied by same pipework. Process of elimination, loads of things to check.
Have tried them all.
In our case it appears that the pressure coming from the street is too high so, bang bang bang when the cold tap is opened.(Can be in any of the three houses)
Have contacted the water board as I have been told that they can fit a PRV to the TOBY in the street that hopefully will resolve the problem.
Will have to get back to them as nothing has happened yet.