PDA

View Full Version : 'Value curry sauce'

bekisman
10-Jan-08, 17:57
No, it's not yet another thread about Tesco, but has anyone else tried their "Tesco value curry sauce"? I mention it as could not believe it was 7p (seven) for a 390g tin, bought some for a laugh and although spent five years in Far East and Middle East; it 'aint that bad!

Any comments or anything else you've tried that was cheap but 'not too bad'?

Camel Spider
10-Jan-08, 18:09
My ex wife .. PM me for contact info .. ;)

Buttercup
10-Jan-08, 19:00

Naughty, Naughty! [lol]

paris
10-Jan-08, 19:23
You naughty boy !;) jan x

paris
10-Jan-08, 19:28
I got the bargain of the century last night at my Tescos. One of their large punnets of tomatoes for 3p and bread was 5p a loaf. Also the dips with 4 different flavours in ,the ones for chrisps to dunk for 3p. Beat that for a bargain ! jan x

Camel Spider
10-Jan-08, 19:29
Didnt mean to threadjack .. sorry.

I have tried the sauce and it was quite good, I have tasted a lot worse. But if you like Curry may I recommend .. http://www.gurkhacurrysauces.co.uk/

Its Heaven in a Jar, you can order online and have them delivered. Anyone who hasnt had a Gurkha Curry hasnt really lived !!

compo
10-Jan-08, 19:42
yes they know how to entertain.. exelent hosts

ciderally
10-Jan-08, 19:42

I have tried the sauce and it was quite good, I have tasted a lot worse. But if you like Curry may I recommend .. http://www.gurkhacurrysauces.co.uk/

Its Heaven in a Jar, you can order online and have them delivered. Anyone who hasnt had a Gurkha Curry hasnt really lived !!

is this hot? or hot hot?

changilass
10-Jan-08, 19:47
If you go to the link there is a mild, hot and very hot option

Billy Boy
10-Jan-08, 19:51

yea lol but how much did it cost you to get rid of her :Razz

ciderally
10-Jan-08, 19:52
If you go to the link there is a mild, hot and very hot option

cheers for that will do...was just being lazy xx

Julia
10-Jan-08, 20:51
No, it's not yet another thread about Tesco, but has anyone else tried their "Tesco value curry sauce"? I mention it as could not believe it was 7p (seven) for a 390g tin, bought some for a laugh and although spent five years in Far East and Middle East; it 'aint that bad!

Any comments or anything else you've tried that was cheap but 'not too bad'?

I'm sorry but no way would I eat anything that cost just 7p (unreduced price).

I admit it I am a food snob, I won't eat anything that is Tesco Value! I do buy the Tesco Value frozen pork and beef mince but that's for feeding my dogs, I always hide the bag under other shopping so nobody sees it and I make sure it goes through a self-serve till.

Ash
10-Jan-08, 20:57
why i really dont get why u would do that,

karia
10-Jan-08, 21:07
I'm sorry but no way would I eat anything that cost just 7p (unreduced price).

I admit it I am a food snob, I won't eat anything that is Tesco Value! I do buy the Tesco Value frozen pork and beef mince but that's for feeding my dogs, I always hide the bag under other shopping so nobody sees it and I make sure it goes through a self-serve till.

Hi Julia,

I used to be like that but was saved from myself by several years of yawning poverty.;)

Nowadays I love a bargain!:D

Shalom
10-Jan-08, 21:09
Brandy cream reduced to 42p from £1.70......yummy!

obiron
10-Jan-08, 21:11
7p tin was fine no complaints from kids and hubby.
agree wi you karia i love a good bargain too.

bekisman
10-Jan-08, 21:24
Julia: "I'm sorry but no way would I eat anything that cost just 7p (unreduced price). I admit it I am a food snob, I won't eat anything that is Tesco Value! I do buy the Tesco Value frozen pork and beef mince but that's for feeding my dogs, I always hide the bag under other shopping so nobody sees it and I make sure it goes through a self-serve till."

Don't get me wrong, we don't usually buy cheap - there are persons [hi S!] on this site who know we cook Venison in red wine, Chicken breast slow cooked in honey & mustard sauce, Salmon Fillet oven baked, and so on, but now and then it's interesting to live dangerously and buy a tin - and whoops - wife just told me it was SIX pence a tin!

And yes Ghurkha food is good, curried goat; can't beat it, spent a couple of months with the Ghurkhas firstly at their Training Camp in Kluang, Malaysia and later in the Ulu on Bersatu Padu where we lived alongside the Ghurkhas and eat their food.. 'interesting' shall we say..

Julia
10-Jan-08, 21:57
I don't think I'm ever going to change, if I had the option of having value food or nothing then I'd rather go without. Don't get me wrong, I love a bargain too, I have no problem buying anything reduced or even Tesco's own brand I just don't want any of the value stuff.

obiron
10-Jan-08, 22:02
theres nothing wrong with the value stuff. its fine in a week when you want to keep the shopping down.

connieb19
10-Jan-08, 22:02
I don't think I'm ever going to change, if I had the option of having value food or nothing then I'd rather go without. Don't get me wrong, I love a bargain too, I have no problem buying anything reduced or even Tesco's own brand I just don't want any of the value stuff.I agree. It's not just the food. Most of the value stuff is rubbish.

Julia
10-Jan-08, 22:06
I agree. It's not just the food. Most of the value stuff is rubbish.

Exactly, why buy value kitchen roll etc.. when you probably have to use twice as much.

I bought average priced bin bags from Somerfield and I may as well be using bags made from tissue paper, they are totally useless!

DeHaviLand
10-Jan-08, 22:30

pm sent ;)

karia
10-Jan-08, 22:30
In terms of food you should be watching the Despatches programme on Channel 4 right now.

The 'value' ranges are more than holding their own against the 'premium' and 'healthy supermarket meals which often have up to 5x more fat.:eek:

Off to watch the 2nd part!

WeeBurd
10-Jan-08, 22:36
In terms of food you should be watching the Despatches programme on Channel 4 right now.

The 'value' ranges are more than holding their own against the 'premium' and 'healthy supermarket meals which often have up to 5x more fat.

I saw the trailer earlier today, and made the decision there and then not to watch the show, as I'd only end up vowing to never eat anything ever again :eek:. In some situations, ignorance is bliss.[lol]

Ash
10-Jan-08, 22:37

The 'value' ranges are more than holding their own against the 'premium' and 'healthy supermarket meals which often have up to 5x more fat.:eek:

im watching it aswell, its unbelivable!

julia what i dont get is, if its not good enough for you why is it ok for your dogs to eat it:confused

scorrie
10-Jan-08, 23:07
julia what i dont get is, if its not good enough for you why is it ok for your dogs to eat it:confused

Would you feed your dog on Fillet Steak?

karia
10-Jan-08, 23:11
Fascinating viewing!

I am glad that most of our meals are made from scratch and will think twice about the occasional 'Ready Meal' that may be purchased when tired or running late.:eek:

Ash
10-Jan-08, 23:13

no i dont, i feed him dog food, i dont feed him on cheap meat that i wouldnt eat myself!

bekisman
10-Jan-08, 23:15
Julia: "I bought average priced bin bags from Somerfield and I may as well be using bags made from tissue paper, they are totally useless!"

You shop in Somerfield!!!

DeHaviLand
10-Jan-08, 23:15
no i dont, i feed him dog food, i dont feed him on cheap meat that i wouldnt eat myself!

So you eat the dog food too?

Ash
10-Jan-08, 23:18
no i dont eat the dog food, what a silly question, what im saying is why buy meat for your animal if you dont think its good enough for you to eat and why hide it? there is nothing to be ashamed off

DeHaviLand
10-Jan-08, 23:22
no i dont eat the dog food, what a silly question, what im saying is why buy meat for your animal if you dont think its good enough for you to eat and why hide it? there is nothing to be ashamed off

But you give food to your dog that you dont think is good enough for you to eat :roll:

Ash
10-Jan-08, 23:24
the dog food is made for the dog not me! i give my dog burns dog food which gives him everything he needs, i wouldnt buy expensive food for myself and cheap meals for my toddler

Camel Spider
10-Jan-08, 23:26
Simple solution .. Have a Korean Curry and eat the Dog.

Ash
10-Jan-08, 23:27

[evil] sick.........

Camel Spider
10-Jan-08, 23:32
[evil] sick.........

Im not seriously advocating eating Dogs .. :roll:

Ash
10-Jan-08, 23:34

im messing lol:lol:

DeHaviLand
10-Jan-08, 23:35

Whoops, too late :~(

Anne x
10-Jan-08, 23:35

I do and it drives o H mad !!!
only now and again though

Geo
10-Jan-08, 23:39
I really like the standard curry that Chinese takeaways do and have searched for something similar to make at home for ages. Finally found it. The butchers in Wick, High Street do a packet of curry powder/paste that is very similar. Makes a nice takeaway style meal like King Prawn Curry, Beef curry etc.

TBH
11-Jan-08, 00:09
Would you use homepride or tesco value curry sauce with that?

KILTIECAULDBUM
11-Jan-08, 01:16
[quote=bekisman;321498]No, it's not yet another thread about Tesco, but has anyone else tried their "Tesco value curry sauce"? I mention it as could not believe it was 7p (seven) for a 390g tin

Bought 2 tonight in Tesco Thurso, but not tried it yet.
Was interesting to notice though that it was 9p & not 7p a can??
Still a great buy if it's nice, but that's almost a 30% mark-up compared to the Wick store!! Need to have a look at some other things now just to see how much of a hike they have taken in comparison too. Obviously there's not a lot of things you could lump nearly 30% on to without it being noticed, but "every little helps"........!!!

hell raizer
11-Jan-08, 01:23
i bought a packet of biscuits last week for 50p, i noticed they were 75p tonight so i didnt buy them. 25p is a bit to much for my liking

The Angel Of Death
11-Jan-08, 10:28
Here is a link for anyone who wants it for a curry book (The Curry Secret - Indian Restaurant Cookery At Home) in pdf format

The link for it is Here (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.uploading.com/files/4LDZ7NK0/The_Curry_Secret___Indian_Restaurant_Cookery_At_Ho me.pdf.html) and the password is just set to 123456 if it asks you for one

Loads of good ideas and suggestions in the book as well

Thumper
11-Jan-08, 18:26
Just tried the value curry sauce,I suppose for those that like a kick it is good but I found it a bit too hot for my taste...mind you at 9p a tine I wasnt complaining! x

changilass
11-Jan-08, 19:01
There was some in Tesco Wick for 4p today, didn't buy any even at that price cos it has fruit in it yeuk

hotrod4
11-Jan-08, 19:45

Have to agree with you.
When i was in the army as a chef i was with the Light infantry who the gurkhas are attached to.
They used to pas through quite often. All the lads used to love it when one of their chefs would russle up a true nepalese delight.

I did have the recipes for gurkha cooking as all army chefs have to learn it,but alas lost them when I left the army, but if you can get your hands on a "MACS" manual (Manual of Army Catering Services)you will be suitably impressed.It has a large section on it.(you may get it from an army surplus store.
Must try looking for it myself!!!!!!

changilass
11-Jan-08, 19:51
If you find it hotrod4 please share the recipe with us, we love curry in this house but find the takeaways to be too far from what I class as a real curry.

rfr10
11-Jan-08, 20:45
The reason you pay more for a lot of food items is the packing. Tesco value products are in red/white packing with no pictures/ anything else on it which means it would have been cheap to produce the packing. You pay more for the brightly coloured food items although if I see anything with Tesco value on it, I think " Cheap rubbish" so I wouldn't but it personally. The majority of the time I've tried Tesco value, it was disgusting.

TBH
11-Jan-08, 21:26
The reason you pay more for a lot of food items is the packing. Tesco value products are in red/white packing with no pictures/ anything else on it which means it would have been cheap to produce the packing. You pay more for the brightly coloured food items although if I see anything with Tesco value on it, I think " Cheap rubbish" so I wouldn't but it personally. The majority of the time I've tried Tesco value, it was disgusting.For those that cannot afford the more expensive brands or those that can but just want a cheap shop then I can't see any harm in buying a value brand.

Julia
11-Jan-08, 23:17
julia what i dont get is, if its not good enough for you why is it ok for your dogs to eat it

They are dogs and I am a human, I'm quite sure the tesco value mince is far superior than what is in most tins of dog food, considering most have cereals and ash added to bulk them out.

My dogs eat a raw diet so I think giving them food that is typically for human consumption is really rather kind of me ;)

I would never feed my children something I wouldn't eat myself, I don't apply that to the dogs though, considering one of them will eat her own poo given half the chance. They do also eat minced tripe, not for human consumption, it's intended for dogs.

Julia: "I bought average priced bin bags from Somerfield and I may as well be using bags made from tissue paper, they are totally useless!"

You shop in Somerfield!!! I was dragged in screaming and kicking by my mother, only once inside I realised I had left Tesco without bin bags! :eek:

You could turn that round Ash, why buy Burns food for your dogs when it's not good enough for you to eat? I bet you don't munch into a bowl of dry dog food in the mornings.

I admit a lot of families may well eat Tesco Value products, that is their choice, I won't and never will. I bought two bags of mince tonight in Tesco, it was really busy so I am glad I was wearing my sunglasses and I kept my hood up.

Ash
11-Jan-08, 23:22
julia, i dont buy tesco value, but if i had to i would, i buy my dog the best type of food that is for him, dog food isnt meant for humans, my dog is part of my family and i buy him whats best for him, not on here to start a fight

TBH
11-Jan-08, 23:32
I admit a lot of families may well eat Tesco Value products, that is their choice, I won't and never will. I bought two bags of mince tonight in Tesco, it was really busy so I am glad I was wearing my sunglasses and I kept my hood up.Get over yourself Julia!

Bobinovich
11-Jan-08, 23:48
The reason you pay more for a lot of food items is the packing. Tesco value products are in red/white packing with no pictures/ anything else on it which means it would have been cheap to produce the packing. You pay more for the brightly coloured food items although if I see anything with Tesco value on it, I think " Cheap rubbish" so I wouldn't but it personally. The majority of the time I've tried Tesco value, it was disgusting.

A quick search on the net to refresh my memory shows that the Value range is printed in red and blue, and some do include pictures but using those colours. With the quantities Tesco will be churning out I doubt there will be a great deal of price difference between a 2-colour print process and a full (4) colour process. What the 2-colour design does do is allow people to identify the Tesco Value range at a distance - helpful if you're searching amongst the many available brands on the shelf.

Also, as the actual packaging used on these products is almost identical to the more expensive brands (jars, tins, etc.), I'm pretty sure that the price difference must simply be in the quality of the product itself.

madmax
12-Jan-08, 00:04
I buy my dog burns dried food too, its expensive at just under £30 a bag but it is better for him than cheaper dog food and you can see this in the end product, his coat and general condition.
I also buy the odd tesco value food - the pork and egg roll is fine for my sandwiches !! The value mince to give my dog, cooked of course with carrots and gravy!! I dont really pay much attention to the prices and labels, if i like it I buy it, as said in previous threads its cheaper down to packaging etc, I mean can you spot the value cow in the field with the rest o them??
I tend to buy all my meat from local butchers, Bews at present as it keeps the local guys in work and the quality is always better, they offer extra services, cuts, etc.
I must admit though after watchin Jamie Oliver on telly tonight about the chickens I'm gonna start buying free range reared in the UK, always better to know my dinner had a better life :)
And at 7p for curry sauce I'm gonna try that too!
Could I also mention that if you're embarassed to buy value food incase ya get seen why not order online and get it delivered. :)

TBH
12-Jan-08, 00:07
Could I also mention that if you're embarassed to buy value food incase ya get seen why not order online and get it delivered. :)Some probably do madmax, their kids probably bully others for using the tesco value range then tuck into a meal of tesco value beans and fish-fingers.[lol]

madmax
12-Jan-08, 00:29
Just remembered the value custard is good too !! lol
Oooh and the tinned garden peas and sweet corn. :)

Julia
12-Jan-08, 00:36
Jeeze Louise, can nobody on here take a joke! [lol]

TBH - do you honestly think I'm parading around Tesco with sunglasses on and my hood up, get a grip!

The only reason I buy my dogs Tesco Value frozen mince is that it works out cheaper than actual dog food (the raw kind) and it's probably better quality!

I wasn't on here for a fight either, this is my last post on this silly subject, I've said all I need to say. :)

madmax
12-Jan-08, 00:39
I dont like the Fish Sticks though, too dry :)