PDA

View Full Version : Wick river

Solus
10-Jan-08, 16:55
I know this has been discussed before, but the amount of dog dirt at the riverside is unbelieveable !!! I never realised it was as bad until i witnessed it first hand before christmas and its just getting worse, specially the area buy the car park. What kind of signal is this putting out to any visitors to the area if they decided to go for a walk up the river. On top of that one of the houses near the park at the river use it as an extended garden for their two dogs, back get left open and out the dogs go to run and mess.

The other mess is huge amounts of broken glass and litter, is the council not really bothered about keeping this area nice ? do we really want visitors to see all this and go home and say what a mess it was ?

On top of that some kind person who either walks their dog past my house thinks there is nothing wrong with letting it mess in my own front garden !! charming.

ok ok off my soap box and chill !!

did we all have a nice christmas and new year ?

octane
10-Jan-08, 17:21
Ive noticed them dogs as well, a collie and im sure an alsation too. They crap everywhere and obviously not the only ones, i close the gate evertime i pass just to keep them at bay while im walking mine plus with mine being a pup she'll just want to chase and play with them and im no wanting no funny business done to her.

Its not that hard to carry poop bags plus with the cold weather it kinda keeps yer hand warm until you dispose of it once she's done her business [lol]

weeksider
10-Jan-08, 18:10
I go walking round the riiverside every morning , there are some bits of dirt on paths but most dog walkers are women and they lift up poo and put in the bins .
I did see the lady warden checking out paths one morning for dirt ,yes there is lots of broken glass on the paths around the river but never lifted, maybe she should have reported the glass lying about so it can get lifted by council workers.
What a terrible state of the fence @ the cannon is to,rotten and lying on ground on hill going up to cannon ,is this the councils or scotrail problems
The last couple of morning the paths are very dangerous to walk on with ice but no salt bins to through on bits bad.

ciderally
10-Jan-08, 19:49
i thought that those on community service cleaned up around thare ?

Solus
10-Jan-08, 21:31
They grass area up from Somerfields is a disgrace, there is dog dirt every where along the paths, so much so one of my mutts trod in some ! so much for responsible dog owners !

Octane, thats the two dogs i am on about,

Julia
10-Jan-08, 22:03
If someone is caught not cleaning up after their dog then there should be new law (instead of a fine) stating that the offender has to pick up poo for the next seven days! I don't think they would offend again somehow!

I drove past a guy the other day, he casually carried on his way after his dog had dumped all over the pavement right outside the town hall. :eek:

smirnoff
10-Jan-08, 23:12
The Collie and Alsation are our family pets and do not get to wander they are walked daily by my husband and he has doggie bags with him and not only does he pick up our own dogs dirt but also others at riverside. And they certainly don't get to crap all over the riverside. Our garden at the back is well fenced and about 6feet high to keep them in the back but the collie is managing to escape. I can see the riverside form my home and often see dog owners let there dogs foull and keep on walking by. They are allowed out the front of our house when we are at home so we can keep an eye on them. In the holidays my 10 year old went a walk with his dad and dogs and end up picking up bottles and tins at the kiting shed so please don't slag us off when you no nothing about us. We are responsible pet owners who go out looking for our dog when he goes for a wander.

Andrew C
10-Jan-08, 23:58
I've noticed since moving up that there is much more dog mess than down south.

Poop bags really aren't expensive and it doesn't really take long to do it. There are even some bins for it.

Torvaig
11-Jan-08, 00:01
I've noticed since moving up that there is much more dog mess than down south.

Poop bags really aren't expensive and it doesn't really take long to do it. There are even some bins for it.

The bags are FREE from the Council offices!

Moira
11-Jan-08, 00:33
The Collie and Alsation are our family pets and do not get to wander they are walked daily by my husband and he has doggie bags with him and not only does he pick up our own dogs dirt but also others at riverside. And they certainly don't get to crap all over the riverside. Our garden at the back is well fenced and about 6feet high to keep them in the back but the collie is managing to escape. I can see the riverside form my home and often see dog owners let there dogs foull and keep on walking by. They are allowed out the front of our house when we are at home so we can keep an eye on them. In the holidays my 10 year old went a walk with his dad and dogs and end up picking up bottles and tins at the kiting shed so please don't slag us off when you no nothing about us. We are responsible pet owners who go out looking for our dog when he goes for a wander.

I am going to take issue with your post here. If you are the resident of the house which has a gate leading onto the riverside between the path from Miller Avenue & the road from Wick Old Parish Church, then I have a problem in that your dogs have attacked mine on more than one occasion.

If you are a responsible pet owner, as you state in your post, why would you need to go out looking for your dog/dogs?

daviddd
11-Jan-08, 03:00
I know this has been discussed before, but the amount of dog dirt at the riverside is unbelieveable !!! I never realised it was as bad until i witnessed it first hand before christmas and its just getting worse, specially the area buy the car park. What kind of signal is this putting out to any visitors to the area if they decided to go for a walk up the river. On top of that one of the houses near the park at the river use it as an extended garden for their two dogs, back get left open and out the dogs go to run and mess.

The other mess is huge amounts of broken glass and litter, is the council not really bothered about keeping this area nice ? do we really want visitors to see all this and go home and say what a mess it was ?

On top of that some kind person who either walks their dog past my house thinks there is nothing wrong with letting it mess in my own front garden !! charming.

ok ok off my soap box and chill !!

did we all have a nice christmas and new year ?

Environmental Health in Wick are the regulatory authority for this issue and you should contact them. A few spot fines would focus these owners' attention maybe.
Yes, I had a great Xmas in Melbourne, second one in a row in Oz, but next year I'll be back in good ol' Caithness.

Blondie
11-Jan-08, 12:46
I am going to take issue with your post here. If you are the resident of the house which has a gate leading onto the riverside between the path from Miller Avenue & the road from Wick Old Parish Church, then I have a problem in that your dogs have attacked mine on more than one occasion.

If you are a responsible pet owner, as you state in your post, why would you need to go out looking for your dog/dogs?

Funnily enough my dog has been attacked by an alsation and a collie that were out alone at wick river too. Same dogs?

Rourkee
11-Jan-08, 14:39

If these dogs have, as you state, "attacked yours on more than one occasion" why have you not reported them to the authorities?
If they are out as much as you say it should be no problem to catch them and rectify the problem!

philupmaboug
11-Jan-08, 17:10
If they are the same dogs that I have seen freely running amuck and messing all over the river side then they are owned by a member of the "authority" that is supposed to outlaw this behaviour. My advise is the next time they attack then report it directly to the new Superintend and see if he will get him to act as a resonsible pet owner.

Macwull
11-Jan-08, 21:33
I walk past this area quite often with my young son and when i see the dogs they are very friendly. They are usually in the front garden of the house and my son thinks there great!

An irresponsible dog owner wouldn't pick up other peoples dogs poo! I'm sure many dogs escape now and again, i remember when we had a dog it escaped sometimes! All it takes is for someone to leave the door open or gate! :D

angela5
11-Jan-08, 21:43
If these dogs are out roaming/attacking other dogs then why hasn't anyone reported them.

Rourkee
12-Jan-08, 11:15
If these dogs are out roaming/attacking other dogs then why hasn't anyone reported them.

I suspect that "attacking" means running up and having a sniff, as all dogs do!
Getting back to the original post, the dogs are not responsible for all the broken bottles and "huge" amount of Special Vat tins I saw on my last walk up the river. Surely those responsible for this mess can easily be taken to task by the Police doing the odd patrol up the river now and again (there is even a road so they dont need to get out of the car).
Hopefully when the new byelaws are introduced to stop drinking in public places (if enforced) this will reduce this problem.

Blondie
12-Jan-08, 11:23
Well you suspect wrong then! I know the difference between sniffing and attacking. I didnt know who the dogs belonged to at that time and have avoided that area since. I now know exactly who the dogs belong to and if it happens again then I will be reporting it.

Moira
12-Jan-08, 14:35
I meant "attacked" too Blondie and, like you, have avoided the area since.

angela5
12-Jan-08, 14:37
If peoples dogs are being 'attacked' then why not report it rather than just avoid the area.:confused

Phoenix200416
12-Jan-08, 18:19

I have to check where I put my feet on the way out of my garden. There is normally a pile of dog dirt in the gateway that I have to clean up. Not very nice at all.

elamanya
12-Jan-08, 20:41
i have also had a couple of run ins with the the 2 dogs mentioned they have given my dog a real hard time , and on one occasion they gave my daughter and her pal who were walking there dog a real scare, its about time something was done about them ...

philupmaboug
14-Jan-08, 16:32
Next time this happens, report the matter to the Police as I believe dog owners can be repremanded if not charged, for not being in proper control of their animals. It would probably depend on what evidence was available however a stern warning is a step in the right direction!

Personally, I would speak to the new Superintendent in Wick as, if some of you are aware who the owners of the dogs in question are, then you'll understand why reporting the matter to an ordinary Constable is not going to have an effect on those responsible.

Too close to the thin blue line......

octane
14-Jan-08, 17:22
Im sure the person is now aware of there dogs escaping and has made the back gate more secure.

And hopefully other owners are more respectable in pet ownership and do the honors of clearing up after them

And if i ever see anyone not doing so i will follow you home and poop through your letterbox and see how you like it!!!! so be warned!!! :evil

unicorn
14-Jan-08, 17:25
I have always wanted to shout after an owner who leaves the mess lying "excuse me you seem to have dropped something" :lol:

jimbob3000
16-Jan-08, 23:36
Hello I am an oap and I regulary walk my cats Mittens and Geraldo along the Wick riverside area and am appaled by these crazy dogs that roam the area. I have had to find a new route to walk my cats as i believe these dogs could very well have rabies.

DeHaviLand
17-Jan-08, 00:12
Hello I am an oap and I regulary walk my cats Mittens and Geraldo along the Wick riverside area and am appaled by these crazy dogs that roam the area. I have had to find a new route to walk my cats as i believe these dogs could very well have rabies.

Lol, what are you on?

WeeBurd
17-Jan-08, 00:20

You think you've got problems walking your cats there - these beasts have tried to attack my pet tiger on various occasions, to the point he's too afraid to leave the house now! :eek:

C'mon everyone, this thread is getting a little crazy - if these dogs are as vicious as is being suggested, why have they not been reported before now, instead of sniping on a message board? :roll:

Riffman
17-Jan-08, 00:33
Hum, judging by this thread I had better take my elephant gun with me next time I walk down there...packs of savage dogs, big cats?

WeeBurd
17-Jan-08, 00:38
Hum, judging by this thread I had better take my elephant gun with me next time I walk down there...packs of savage dogs, big cats?

I know, next you'll hear there's salmon in that river too ;)!

Moira
17-Jan-08, 00:54
You think you've got problems walking your cats there - these beasts have tried to attack my pet tiger on various occasions, to the point he's too afraid to leave the house now! :eek:

C'mon everyone, this thread is getting a little crazy - if these dogs are as vicious as is being suggested, why have they not been reported before now, instead of sniping on a message board? :roll:

My earlier posts were not sniping. They were the truth. If some folk here wish to poke a little fun at the truth, that is fine by me. Some earlier posts here might give you an idea as to why some of us have been reluctant to report the owners of these dogs to the "authorities".

Let's just say that those of us who are/were affected are reviewing the situation.

I've not heard officially from jimbob3000 but he can pm me anytime.