PDA

View Full Version : Genuine Chinese Takeaway Flavour

Saveman
10-Jan-08, 15:10
Does anyone know how to get that genuine chinese takeaway flavour?

I've tried seseme oil, garlic, ginger and soy sauce and that comes fairly close but still not quite there.....what am I missing?

golach
10-Jan-08, 15:19
Does anyone know how to get that genuine chinese takeaway flavour?

I've tried seseme oil, garlic, ginger and soy sauce and that comes fairly close but still not quite there.....what am I missing?
Your missing the secret ingredient Savey, MSG Monosodium Glutimate :(

STUDMUFFIN
10-Jan-08, 15:52
Try Chinese 5 Spice From Tesco By Schwartz.

henry20
10-Jan-08, 16:30
No spare ribs ever taste as good as Charlie Chans :(

Maybe its because I don't deep fry mine :confused

dragonfly
10-Jan-08, 18:31
agree with Golach, its MSG, makes the food taste lovely but very bad for you - gives me palpatations!!!

hotrod4
13-Jan-08, 21:05
Definitely MSG.
I buy mine from Thailand and it makes a BIG difference to anything chinese you make.
Dont believe all the myths about it though!! :)

debimac
25-Jan-08, 14:59
that might be the missing link ?

bluelady
06-Feb-08, 20:54
Star Anaise,seasame oil, garlic, a small nip ginger,soy sauce,clove, sherry, vermouth or brandy, a little vinegar and a little red food colouring for the meat Food colouring dos'nt make any difference to the taste, just colours the meat). I just add until I get the right taste, dont bother with measuring or there is this recipe that Ive had for a while

Home made hoisin sauce

1 cup vermouth, or sake (rice wine)
1 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup vinegar (not cider)
1-1/4 cup sugar
1 full tbsp. crushed garlic
1 tbsp. grated ginger
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 cup pitted plums
2 tbsp. wheat flour
1/4 tsp. each of anise, clove, and allspice
Salt
Cook for 10 minutes the pitted plums with the vermouth.
Mix the wheat flour with the vinegar and make a liquid batter.

In a stainless steel saucepan put all the ingredients, mix well until well blended and bring to a boil. Continue to mix until the sauce thickens. It should not be too thick, neither pudding like. With a hand blender, blend to a soft creamy sauce.
Transfer to warm bottles, or glass jars. Cool and seal air tight. Keep in the refrigerator.