PDA

View Full Version : Honour killings

Kenn
10-Jan-08, 01:30
Did any one else see the BBC 1 documentary about this tonight?
I sat there totally engrossed as it developed and asked myself how this could possibly happen in the 21st century?
Some how I get the impression that whilst the rest of the world has moved on, Islam is stuck in a time warp.
This is a total anathema to me, having read The Koran and it clearly states that men should be kind to women and children.
Now I appreciate that when a marriage runs into difficulties either partner might seek to blame the other and either partner might seek some kind of revenge but in an adult society we should be able to work through the differences.
This was a case of the ultimater revenge that beggars belief.

JAWS
10-Jan-08, 07:22
LIZZ, first let me say to save any confusions, I'm not commenting on your use of the term or anyone else who will, no doubt, use it on the thread indeed I probably will myself.
The reason I say that is because I do wish the Press and the Media would stop describing them as such.
There is only one term which should be used to describe them and that is "Murders". There is no "honour" involved at all, any more than there is when a gang of thugs murder a member of the public claiming it was for "upsetting" them.

I didn't see the programme but I don't think the practice is particularly widespread amongst all Muslim Communities. I rather think it is only amongst those from certain areas where it is commonplace, but I could be wrong.

I confess that I have not read the Koran but I understand that under the original teachings of Mohammed women were, to all intents and purposes, treated with the same equality as men. Again, I am open to correction, but I rather suspect that, over the Centuries, certain things have changed as a matter of "convenience" using Religion as an excuse.

Whatever the excuse there is no justification for such murders and I personally think that a very clear message be given that anyone found guilty of being involved in such murders will remain in prison until they die.
That may sound very extreme, but it is something which has to be stamped out here because it seems to be something which is becoming increasingly prevalent.

orkneylass
10-Jan-08, 18:41
A very good point Jaws, murder is murder and the murder of a child is particularly awful - which is what the case in the news at the present time looks like - she was 17 and had asked the authotitites for protection from her parents.

Kenn
11-Jan-08, 01:40
Thank you both for your respective responses, I watched the second episode tonight and was reduced to tears.
Some how I cannot relate to what to me is totally dishonourable ant totally against a faith.