PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning/Polishing Caithness stone

Benthamman
10-Jan-08, 01:00
Hi,

I have a Caithness stone/flag fireplace surround. It is quite handsome but it looks a little dull and lackluster in daylight. I have heard folk say that yogurt is the best thing to polish it with, others say boot polish.

I am wary of the yogurt for fear that it goes off and causes a stink! - the boot polish would be fine but surrounding the fireplace is white painted plasterboard - one false swipe with the cloth and there will be BIG trouble.

Has anyone any opinions/knowledge on the using either of the above?

Or perhaps you have a simpler and easier solution (like Pledge!!)

Thanks for reading

Benthamman

George Brims
10-Jan-08, 01:06
Clear mineral oil will turn Caithness flagstone a nice dark grey, almost black.

Benthamman
10-Jan-08, 16:11
I may give it a try thanks - Does anyone know who sells Clear Mineral Oil?......and what is it for?

Benthamman

George Brims
10-Jan-08, 22:31
You should be able to get it at a hardware shop. It's used for oiling wood to bring up the grain (without adding a finish on the surface). I need to get some for my Caithness chair as my mum used to put pot plants on it and there are water marks on the seat.

BRIE
11-Jan-08, 14:04
does this mineral oil take marks out of the stone too? i had a candle that melted all over the fireplace cant get the mark out at all!:~(

Rheghead
11-Jan-08, 14:37
A rub down with white spirit then a good lathering of washing up liquid should cure the candle wax mark.

Thumper
11-Jan-08, 15:59
I used to use clear shoe polish on mine...came up a treat! ;) x

canuck
11-Jan-08, 16:43
This gives me an idea for an Edi Org get together. Let's grab some mineral oil and a polishing cloth and meet to shine up the Caithness stone in Holyrood! I noticed that it was looking a little tired the last time I was there.

bedu
11-Jan-08, 21:01
:eek:Is Baby oil not mineral oil, I used to use it to remove tar and oil after walking on mucky beaches in the Gulf? If so, would that be good for Caithness stone??

sphinx
11-Jan-08, 21:09
ive herd of pepole tring milk on it ..........

Riffman
11-Jan-08, 23:11
This gives me an idea for an Edi Org get together. Let's grab some mineral oil and a polishing cloth and meet to shine up the Caithness stone in Holyrood! I noticed that it was looking a little tired the last time I was there.

Count me in! I heard that silicone polish gives them them a lovely supersmooth finish....

Anne x
12-Jan-08, 02:05
I used to wash mine with fairy liquid to get all the dust and residue off then apply baby oil stayed lovely for weeks worked for me !!!

lagertops
12-Jan-08, 12:09
Get youself a small bottle of 'original slate oil' it's really good.

badger
12-Jan-08, 12:31
This thread is making me feel so bad as I have masses of stone floor and have been meaning to treat it again for ages as it really needs it now. Used slate oil last time but it's quite a performance as you can't walk on it again until it's quite dry. Had been told about milk but don't fancy the smell. Might try baby oil on a small patch.

Any better suggestions for large areas?

bothyman
14-Jan-08, 13:30
We use Boiled Linseed Oil thinned with White Spirit 50/50.

Don't use Raw Linseed Oil as it stays sticky and does not dry.
The Boiled stuff has driers in it.

It will darken the stone, how dark it goes depends on the stone.