PDA

View Full Version : dentist

bodster
06-Oct-05, 16:50
can anyone advice me on which dentist is best thurso or wick (private), and if you get free treatment if your pregnant and if so who offers it

thank you

Naefearjustbeer
06-Oct-05, 17:34
My wife went to bridge end until she got pregnant as they refused her free NHS treatment. I believe all pregnant women are entitled to free treatment which they were not prepared to give. I don't think I can say much more without risking a ban from the message boards [mad] [mad]

champagnebaby
06-Oct-05, 17:46
I was wondering this a short while ago too and someone said the dentist in the hospital done it. I thought that was only for kids but i didn't bother finding out any more about it though. I keep meaning to 'one of these days' . . . . . . . . . . . . :roll:

bodster
06-Oct-05, 18:02
which is the best way on finding out if the hospital does it, is there an contact number.

badger
06-Oct-05, 18:41
I phoned the Dental Helpline last year when I was between dentists. Didn't keep a note of the number but found this via Google - 0845 063 1188 - which says it covers Scotland. The NHS Scotland website seems to be down - surprise! Might be worth trying.

caithpal
06-Oct-05, 19:53
My wife was pregnant when we were with John Barry in Thurso but he would not cover her on the NHS whilst pregnant anyway. We then left and joined Neil Fearns who is slightly expensive but we have both received excellent care etc.... At the end of the day you get what you pay for. I just resent paying my taxes/NI for the rubbish services we get up here in Caithness!

porshiepoo
06-Oct-05, 20:50
I used to go to the dentist surgery in Thurso privately. They charge you something like seventeen quid a month which is supposed to cover xrays etc, load of crap really. The cost for treatment is really expensive too, but hey they let you pay in instalments!
Best thing we found is ring the nhs emergency helpline, they get you in at either thurso or wick straight away which ever you prefer. The only downside is that they can only perform emergency treatment i.e. packing or extraction. They packed one of my teeth and told me it was temporary and needed doing permanently straight away but that I couldn't have it done there. So now i guess I wait for the packing to come out and have a perfectly repairable tooth pulled out. Nice!! :eek:
Oh and the dentist I had there told me off too. You see I'm very very very phobic and I did explain this to everyone who would listen both on the helpline and the dentist. They all seemed very understanding until the dentist told me to either sit still or go away and psychologoical treatment for it as he had other patients to see. Cheeky sod, I didn't even move either, I just looked petrified when he picked up that bloomin hooky thing. The worst thing is that out of the two options that was more preferable to paying the seventeen pounds a month.

What a wonderful world we live in, so up with the times! [mad] [mad] [mad]

Fran
07-Oct-05, 02:11
all pregnant women get free dental treatments under the NHS. they can be seen by the school dentist and the hospital dentist, both are based at caithness general hospital tel;605050

bodster
07-Oct-05, 09:14
thanks to all of you for your help