PDA

View Full Version : Dogs.Do we really understand them...

justine
09-Jan-08, 14:35
How well do you understand your dogs natural behaivour...We have dogs as pets and think we make them happy but infact we end up making them less dog like and more human orientated..We look on them as our friend companion and we try to full fill their lives with kindness and love, but thats not what they really want..

They are four ways you have to respect your dog to make his life better..

1. For what he is. ANIMAL

2 Species eg.Canine

3. Breed eg. collie GSD

4. as a pet....

I am beginning to understand exactly what a dogs life means.We did not take them in as we mainly think.Dogs realised that scavaging of humans was better than hunting for days..We realised that dogs were good at hunting, retrieving,
All dogs need a purpose in life and unfortunately most of te time we ignore what they really want and give them nothing of what they need...

If you have not already come across the Dog Whisperer Cesar Milan on tv or managed to get his book i would recommend it.it has helped me with bingo, i understand what he wants from me now and our lives especially his is starting to become more fullfilling...

Phoenix200416
09-Jan-08, 20:26
I have seen Cesar on the T.V and think what he does with dogs is amazing! I can understand what he means about putting the dogs life into balance with his owners treating him as a dog not a human. Its just putting it into practise that I find the hard part for me! I really think his method's would benefit my dog, Milo. I didn't realise he had written a book and a copy of that would be really helpful to me. I wondered if you could tell me where you got a copy from and how much it cost?

Thanks

justine
09-Jan-08, 20:52
I have seen Cesar on the T.V and think what he does with dogs is amazing! I can understand what he means about putting the dogs life into balance with his owners treating him as a dog not a human. Its just putting it into practise that I find the hard part for me! I really think his method's would benefit my dog, Milo. I didn't realise he had written a book and a copy of that would be really helpful to me. I wondered if you could tell me where you got a copy from and how much it cost?

Thanks

Hope this helps. The priceis 14.99 from pets at home or you could try ebay...

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o32/grandma2007/cesar.jpg

porshiepoo
09-Jan-08, 23:47
Have to agree.
Read it and learn guys. Cesar may have his cynics but I use his methods and have done for a few years now with amazing results.

unicorn
10-Jan-08, 01:27
well today I truly learned how a dog can make you feel so good. My dad's little dog came straight to me after his funeral and sat on my knee and comforted me more than I could have believed possible. The wake was full of people and the wee man wouldn't leave me at all. He knew I needed him and he was totally there, that amazing wee dog made an unbearable day for us both so much more managable by giving me warmth, comfort and watching over me. He truly is a wee greyfriars bobby.

Dadie
10-Jan-08, 09:32
i am convinced that my (rehomed from balmore) chocolate lab bitch knew that i was pregnant with Lauren before i did as she would curl up beside me with her head on my lap and she was doing the same thing this time so they can sense things before us!

rhino
10-Jan-08, 11:39
he has a programme on sky three most nights, its called the dog whisperer.

very good

justine
10-Jan-08, 13:35
many owners think they know what is best for there dog but dont understand them..I know alot of people whos dogs greet you at the door, either jumping up, running around...All that is dominant behaiviour in a dog. The simple things like he wines you feed him, he wins, you allow him on the bed thats his dominant state..I am training bingo using these techniques at the mo and seem to be qwinning. He has really started to see me as a pack leader ad not a follower..How mant of you dont know that yuour dog is incharge until it is too late....We need to understand what a dogs position inl life is before we take on the challenge....

Liz
10-Jan-08, 14:08

Thanks

I have this book on CD and afraid I haven't got around to listening to them yet.
You are very welcome to a loan of them if you want?

Phoenix200416
11-Jan-08, 02:13
I have this book on CD and afraid I haven't got around to listening to them yet.
You are very welcome to a loan of them if you want?

Hi Liz

Thanks for the offer. I have just ordered the book off Ebay. I supposed I should have read the post first. Nevermind its looks like a good book to have a copy of.

Thanks anyway for offering the loan. Very kind of you :Razz
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

I also found this book when I was looking for "Cesar's Way" its must be the next book or something. Has anyone come across this one and if yes, what did they think of it?

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb202/phoenix200416/be_the_pack_leader.jpg

Liz
11-Jan-08, 15:36
Hi Liz

Thanks for the offer. I have just ordered the book off Ebay. I supposed I should have read the post first. Nevermind its looks like a good book to have a copy of.

Thanks anyway for offering the loan. Very kind of you :Razz
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

I also found this book when I was looking for "Cesar's Way" its must be the next book or something. Has anyone come across this one and if yes, what did they think of it?

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb202/phoenix200416/be_the_pack_leader.jpg
Hi

I am glad that you managed to get a copy. It will be a good book to keep for reference.
I have actually ordered an e-book from Ebay but the only problem is my printer isn't working!

Phoenix200416
11-Jan-08, 23:43
Hi

I am glad that you managed to get a copy. It will be a good book to keep for reference.
I have actually ordered an e-book from Ebay but the only problem is my printer isn't working!

I hope you get your printer working. I always find things don't work when you need them. Or you can't find something. Looking forward to getting my copy of Ceser's book soon. It will be well read and dog-eared by the time I get my hands on it :lol: Maybe I should buy another copy as a back up and too look good on the bookshelf. :Razz